Pulled Over In PA - Page 2

Pulled Over In PA

This is a discussion on Pulled Over In PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with you "jcheinaman" i would inform him also, regardless of state laws. By the way excellant choice in a carry gun...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulled Over In PA

I agree with you "jcheinaman" i would inform him also, regardless of state laws. By the way excellant choice in a carry gun

Probably a good idea to inform the LEO. Do unto others, etc.

You're patting yourself on the back because you dodged a ticket?

If you're responsible enough to obtain a CHL and are carrying, you should be responsible when it comes to keeping your tag/registration/permit.

Sorry guys, I don't get it. It seems about once every couple of months somebody logs on and complains about getting rousted for a traffic violation.

Having a CHL, CCP, FP or whatever it's called in your state does not give someone carte blanche to violate traffic laws.

IMHO.

I wasn't complaining. I was making honest conversation. No one is perfect and everyone makes a mistake or forgets about something every now and then. I wasn't technically aware that I was violating the law. As soon as I was issued the warning I did the registration online within 15 minutes. I guess that you are saying that if we have a CHL we are not allowed to ever forget something? Just because I didn't get a ticket doesn't mean I am patting myself on the back. It isn't like I said "Officer I carry a gun... please give me a warning." I am not trying to pick a fight or offend you. I am just stating the obvious. Your post makes it sound like I intentionally didn't renew my tags. It was only expired since may 31st.

Since some of you are happy to divulge info for no reason, I could use your SSN, credit card info and the three digit number on the back. I am a nice guy, and I think I should know...anyone, anyone...The law doesn't say you have to give it to me, but, it would be a nice thing to do. I must be a dinosaur, but I don't give out anything including my phone number at Best Buy or other places that ask.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I have to disagree with Capt Crunch depends which state you are in as to it's seriousness if it had been Kalifornia I'm not sure how many hundreds fine would cost plus towing plus walking home, but thats only if you are a citizen.
    Well, I guess I have to stand corrected!

I should have known that California would treat expired tags as a major felony.

Might explain the prison overcrowding in that State.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator

Biloxi Bersa

I think you're reading a lot more into this members post than he actually typed in there.

jcheinaman was not patting himself on the back because he "dodged a ticket" - he just happened not to get a ticket.

The normal human reaction is not to be sad when you don't get a ticket.

He also did not complain about being rousted.

I believe that he handed the officer his PA LTC as a courtesy to the officer to inform him that he was carrying.
    In Pennsylvania he is not legally required to do that but, I can understand why he did it.
    He did not present the officer with his LTC with the hope or intention of avoiding a ticket.

In fact he admitted that he inadvertently allowed his registration to lapse.

You do have a right to be upset at firearm carry license holders who present their CWP thinking that it might help them dodge a ticket but, (in this instance) jcheinaman obviously did not do that.

He stated that he did not know if presenting his LTC helped him at all with regard to him only getting a warning as VS a ticket.

I know for a fact that some PA. "small town" and borough Police Officers are not aware of the fact that PA motorists that are licensed to carry are not required to inform. I found that out first hand by chatting with two borough police officers in a courtroom during a trial break.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcheinaman View Post
    It was a local cop. I don't have to legally inform the officer unless asked. I figured I would want to know if I was in his shoes.
    Why? Because you would fear what a person who would voluntarily tell you that he has a gun might try to do to you with it?

What you are telling us is that you, as a person who would not try to harm the cop, gave him an assurance that a person who did want to harm him would never offer up.

So I ask, what's the point? You didn't protect him from yourself, did you? When you notified him about your gun, did you say, "Officer, I better warn you, I am legally carrying a gun but I just don't know what I might decide to do with it, so please watch out"?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Since some of you are happy to divulge info for no reason, I could use your SSN, credit card info and the three digit number on the back. I am a nice guy, and I think I should know...anyone, anyone...The law doesn't say you have to give it to me, but, it would be a nice thing to do. I must be a dinosaur, but I don't give out anything including my phone number at Best Buy or other places that ask.
    I wonder why the law doesn't require people to notify the officer that their car is equipped with a reverse gear -- since the officer is almost always going to approach from the rear, and return to his vehicle at some point, most likely with his back turned. Think of the damage that someone could do! And I also think that people who have been drinking or doing drugs should be required to inform the officer that they have done so. I mean, since we're expecting bad people to tell the officer what kind of threat to him they might be, and all...

My point is that since bad people will not notify a cop that they're bad people who have weapons and intend to hurt him, good people are not telling the cop anything he benefits from knowing when they inform him they're carrying. All it does is tell him that a person who doesn't mean him harm doesn't mean him harm. It's kind of a tautology.

hmmm. I just posted on this very topic on another thread. On that thread i was against it. But peacefuljeffery has given me a revelation (i think inadvertently) If bad people do not let the leo know that they are carrying guns or drugs, then if you tell the leo that you have a ccw and are carrying, you would be percieved as being honest and have nothing to hide.
    If the gun is exposed accidentally, the cop is going to be grumpy (rightly so) and you will end up on the pavement in cuffs for a while.
    I think i WILL let the officer know to avoid surprises. (because it WILL benefit both of you to have that out there in case his partner is on the other side of the car and sees alittle of your holster sticking out of the bottom of your cover garment)
    -MAC
    Wow sorry to be so polititionlly pancakey.----->flipflop
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I will notify an officer.
    The reason being that I don't want someone just coming off a bad call to be jumpy if they see my gun. Informing the officer can make things much less stressful for myself and the officer.

It is a tough job that they perform and the vast majority perform it with honor and dignity.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links