Pulled Over In PA

Pulled Over In PA

This is a discussion on Pulled Over In PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was pulled over today about a tenth of a mile from my house . Turns out I had an expired Registration that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled Over In PA

Pulled Over In PA

So I was pulled over today about a tenth of a mile from my house . Turns out I had an expired Registration that I was not aware of. The cop was down to earth and I notified him I was carrying and it didn't seem to concern him at all. He went back to the cruiser and for about a minute and then came back to give me my id cards and information. He told me he was going to let me off with a warning. Don't know if the CHL influenced this or not. He proceeded to ask what gun I was carrying and how I liked it. After about five minutes of Gun Talk I was on my way home without a ticket.
    Last edited by jcheinaman; June 22nd, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

did you expect a different reaction?
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

I didn't know what to expect. As this was my first time being pulled over while carrying. Also the reputation the local cops get here in Manheim Township. This was my first incident with their department in my three years living here. I was shocked at how well the officer handled the situation compared to the information I was lead to believe.
    Last edited by jcheinaman; June 22nd, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Did he ask if you had any weapons ?? I didn't think you had to tell them you are carrying in PA. State or local cop ?

All the staties I've run into are pretty cool. Most of them were curious as to what I carried and why. Local cops are hit and miss. There are a couple in Mechanicsburg that are real good guys that shoot at the clubs alot. Then there are a few others that.... well lets not go there.

It was a local cop. I don't have to legally inform the officer unless asked. I figured I would want to know if I was in his shoes and usually after the license and registration they ask if there are any drugs or weapons in the car. Regardless it was curtious to let him know that I was armed. I don't think I would ever handle it any differently regardless of the state law.

Quote Originally Posted by g3036 View Post
    There are a couple in Mechanicsburg that are real good guys that shoot at the clubs alot. Then there are a few others that.... well lets not go there.
    We have a few of those around here too...

Awesome. IMO you did the right thing in notifying him. State law or not, I would want to know if I was in his shoes and I would rather find out by you telling me than me seeing it or having to prompt it out of you. Not to mention you are going to pop up as a CC permit holder when he calls in your info.

VIP Member
    Glad you got off with a warning. It's nice to hear about the positive encounters, thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Awesome. IMO you did the right thing in notifying him. State law or not, I would want to know if I was in his shoes and I would rather find out by you telling me than me seeing it or having to prompt it out of you. Not to mention you are going to pop up as a CC permit holder when he calls in your info.
    I agree, if you were driving your own (registered in your name, vehicle) he knew before he even turned his emergency lights on. If you are looking for respect, give the same. It goes a long way.

1943 - 2009
    He told me he was going to let me off with a warning. Don't know if the CHL influenced this or not.
    I doubt whether this influenced the officer's decision.

Expired registration is not exactly the crime of the century.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Not to mention you are going to pop up as a CC permit holder when he calls in your info.
    That is definitely not a universal fact in all states that issue CHLs.

If the law does not require one to notify, one should not unless asked.

If cops do not like that, they can lobby personally to change the law.

good job. I think I would even if my state did not require it. Which it does. And most of the cops around here are fed up with all of our crime that has really sparked up in the last 2-3 years. so i think that they would really not appreciate it if it was not mentioned.

I think some cops would even go "power trippin" and do what ever they thought right if not informed, maybe even if your state did not require it.

I think if I was a officer and someone was carrying I would want to know. LEt's just think about if he happened to see you weapon???? and you had not informed him.....maybe a shoot out.....maybe not think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    That is definitely not a universal fact in all states that issue CHLs.

If cops do not like that, they can lobby personally to change the law.
    If the law does not require one to notify its up to the person in question to decide. If you don't want to inform the officer then thats your prerogative, but I really don't understand the aversion to it. So you inform him you are carrying...what did that cost you?

Say you don't inform him and he sees it while you are digging around your car for your registration. You think he's not gonna draw on you? I would prefer to let him/her know ahead of time and avoid a possibly tense situation. :shrug: That's your call.

I disagree 100%

IMHO there is nothing to lose by handing the officer both my ID and my permit. I have warned my kids that if we are ever pulled over I will alert the officer that I am carrying.

As mentioned in a previous post - I do not need the officer to see my hand reaching for my license and he somehow sees my weapon.

It just so happens that about 50% of the time I carry near my front right hand pocket. My license and other required information are in my front left hand pocket. How is he/she to know what I am truely reaching for if she sees the gun. They would not be doing their job if they DIDN'T draw on me if they saw my hands THAT CLOSE to my weapon. They are not mind readers - All they know is that my hands are within 6 inches of a gun (again, the assumption is that he/she sees my weapon). I for one am not willing to take that risk!!

I feel for my safety - if for no other reason - I will always inform an officer that I am legally carrying.

And I agree w/ the previous mentions - If I was the Cop, I would DEFINITELY appreciate knowing there was a weapon in the vehicle.

I realize this example is anticdotle (sp) but there are so many posts where the person pulled over warns the officer WHEN THEY DO NOT NEED TO LEGALLY and the traffic stop tends to go in the favor of the driver.
    Cork

The 2nd amendment doesn’t mean you have to own a firearm It insures you can. It gives you the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones when the Government can’t. PLEASE REMEMBER KATRINA and VIRGINIA TECH the next time you vote!!!

Not to mention you are going to pop up as a CC permit holder when he calls in your info.
    This is true in PA. I was pulled over by a State Cop and was asked if I was carrying my weapon. I told him I was and SLOWLY drew and cleared my gun. I asked why he asked it and he said my name was "tagged" as a CCW holder. He was pretty cool about it. He was actually the one that made mention of not having to inform LEOs that you are carrying. I always figured if I was pulled over again I would let the officer know so I never really checked into it to make sure that was true.

I have to disagree with Capt Crunch depends which state you are in as to it's seriousness if it had been Kalifornia I'm not sure how many hundreds fine would cost plus towing plus walking home, but thats only if you are a citizen.
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links