Question about AZ and Firearm/CCW laws

This is a discussion on Question about AZ and Firearm/CCW laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a friend who long story short has a little mark on his record that is preventing him from purchasing another firearm until ...

So I have a friend who long story short has a little mark on his record that is preventing him from purchasing another firearm until next year, much less get his CCW that he wants and should have. he then can get it exspunged then due to the nature of it all. either way he has been talking about moving away from crappy MI for some time now and he is under the impression that once he moves to AZ, which is where he wants to that he would be able to get a permit to carry.

Is this true? I am a bit lost on this fact........

Please help. I would hate to see a good friend move away under false pretences, although anywhere has to be better then MI for money and jobs!!!!

Awfully vague. Without knowing what exactly is the "little mark" that is preventing him from firearms ownership it's tough to say. Here are the AZ requirements: http://www.azccw.com/requirements.htm

i think it was a charge that went down to a DV charge, which wa not what ws supposed to be on his record, however someone somehow messed up. he hs tried over and over to get it removed as evryone that was involvd n this poces like I think I remeber what you are talking about, but let me check into it!" so that is what I have heard and this guy is a good guy and if he waits until next july he can get it exspunged from his record next year and has had no other offenses since then.

now of course this offense is on everyones "do not issue" list. I guess sometimes people just get mixed up with the "wrong" people.

Contact AZ DPS or an AZ attorney. I think once disqualified for CCW, always disqualified for CCW.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

DV=no CCW in AZ.

Vermont, the CCW friendly state

Suggest he move to Vermont, no permit required, in state/out of state, concealed... no matter.

www.packing.org look up Vermont, great state to visit too!
    ‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Vermont huh???? wow I read it over and told him about it. that is crazy! why would more states not want to be like Vermont???

Quote Originally Posted by nextlevelcell View Post
    why would more states not want to be like Vermont???
    Alaska is the same way.

somehow I picture Vermont and Alaska as not having as much crime as say.......Michigan...lol

BG's beware, do not travel to Vermont or Alaska

If your friend had a DV-class charge, even as a misdemeanor, he's not going to be able to get a CCW anywhere. A record that is expunged is only expunged from the court, or "sealed". If he was convicted of the crime, then it stays on the record that law enforcement will see, even if expunged through the courts. Law enforcement -- the people that do the background checks -- can see any and all convictions even if you were a juvenile when it happened.

If it was a mistake on the exact charge that should have been issued (e.g. disorderly conduct vs. disorderly conduct - DV), then he needs to contest that with the state authority on criminal records, usually the state police or DPS for your state. It's kind of like a credit history, you can contest something that's on there and they'll investigate it and change it or let it stand depending on the results of the investigation. The worst that they can do if he contests the charge is let it stand. Have him talk to the state police or state DPS to try to get it changed.

Just remind him that it's still a DV-class charge if it was only a roommate or someone that stays over at his house for a couple days, it doesn't just have to be someone you're going out with or married to.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Links