Informing LEO's that you are carrying

This is a discussion on Informing LEO's that you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will inform out of courtesy. If I were an LEO and pulled someone over I would want to know. And 7 times out of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Informing LEO's that you are carrying

I will inform out of courtesy. If I were an LEO and pulled someone over I would want to know. And 7 times out of 10 you will probably get a little more respect out of the officer. To me it shows them that I "trust" them and want them to be safe. Remember they are people to. And if asked to step out of the car and they then find out I know I would wonder why I wasn't told in the first place.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

2. Remove Ads

PLus, it gives you the perfect opportunity to be a kiss-butt to the LEO.

"Officer I would just like you to know that I have a concealed handgun permit and I am carrying my firearm. I understand that I don't have to inform you but I also understand the pressures of your job and I don't envy having to pull people over--if I was in your shoes I would like to be informed. Is there anything you would like me to do with my firearm?"

..or something along those lines. You may just get yourself out of a ticket ;)

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    If I were an LEO and pulled someone over I would want to know.
    There are a lot of things police would like to know about you during a traffic stop but the law and the Constitution say they cannot find out unless they meet some hurdles set to limit the power of government.

I"ve read these inform/not inform threads with great intent since i've not been stopped whilst CCW.

Well, I got stopped while leaving my NRA instructors certification (rifle and shotgun) training more than a few weeks ago. Leaving the sportsmans club onto a main road. Just within the last day or 2 a sign was put up for no left turn (the intersection is kind of funky, left, right or a y split off or more acute right). Since more traffic, a sign was put up.

I am waiting (and did not see the no left sign), left blinker on. Police car passes by me and he is looking at me. I think that is funny. I have my inspection, registration, etc. I am stopped. Why did he eyeball me. I make the left, he pulls over, as soon as I pass, he puts the lights on.

With my right hand on the 12o'clock of the wheel and my left hand outside my window, I inform that I have just left the sportsman club and have a valid CCW. He looks in and I inform him that it is IWB @ 3:30 (while keeping hands in said location). He says "Just don't reach for it", which I reply "sure". He asked to see my permit, which I handed over w/ my license. That was the whole conversation of firearms.

I received a written warning. He explained why the sign was up. I mentioned that I never saw the sign. Thanked him and was on my way.

Their job is tough enough and I don't want to make it tougher. As long as I am not abdicating my rights, I will be as co-operative and courteous as possible. In this case all worked out.

Some here seem to have a bit of issue with lead foot...may help to shoot that lead and get it out of your foot. May keep you from being stopped...just kidding. It is only a matter of time I reckon, turn signal will be burned out, tail light, something to give em a reason. I just try to minimize their opportunity to have a reason and make this a moot point for me..Good conversations, enjoy the dialog.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

During my pistol permit class, my instructor told us that, unless specifically asked, not to mention anything about carrying. He made this point very emphatically, he said just shut up. While he didn't describe his reasons for this, he implied it was from talking with several local LEOs he knows. (This is in Connecticut)

I would think the decision of whether or not to inform if not required would depend on the location, and how common and accepted CCW is in that area.

I frankly have not decided what I would do if pulled over, but this is a major factor in my decision.

Bottom line, if you carry know the law for your jurisdiction. That can not be driven home enough. It is alarming how few understand this, and I know several.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    It's simply a matter of what is right, not what is expedient or convenient.
    Ok, but how is notifying wrong? just because the law doesn't specifically instruct you to? The law doesn't specifically instruct me to hold the door open for other people as I go into/out of restaurants either, but I do that out of courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocarryguy
    I go by what the law says and will do what the law says, no more. They will find out if I do get stopped for some reason when / if they run my DL, and they can ask according to the law. I obey the law, they obey the law, all is good in the universe.
    Sorry, but I don't buy into insurance card stops, drunk driving stops, weapons checks, conservation agent stops, or seat belt stops or the like. I break the law, stop me. If not, leave me alone. In short, I will volunteer nothing.
    since I think we can all agree that we're talking about notifying in cases where it is NOT required by law, I'm still not seeing the reason for not courteously notifying the LEO.
    The 'normal' reason people give for not volunteering information to a LEO, is because they are in trouble and do not wish to further incriminate themselves (as in "Yes officer, I did just sell 10,000 lbs of crack to that 5 year old..is there a problem?"). Legally carrying a weapon is not illegal, so revealing that information can't incriminate you...since you haven't done anything wrong (well, except for whatever it was that got you pulled over in the first place).

It can't (I don't think) be a privacy issue, since the LEO will already have the information about the registered owner of the vehicle from running the tags (which, I realize, may or may not be the driver). And since they will shortly have the driver's information from their Driver's License. We're not talking a violation of the protections against illegal search and seizure..its not like the LEO is going to pull your gun out the window, throw it on the ground, and stomp on it when you tell them that you are legally carrying a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    It can't (I don't think) be a privacy issue, since the LEO will already have the information about the registered owner of the vehicle from running the tags (which, I realize, may or may not be the driver). And since they will shortly have the driver's information from their Driver's License. We're not talking a violation of the protections against illegal search and seizure..its not like the LEO is going to pull your gun out the window, throw it on the ground, and stomp on it when you tell them that you are legally carrying a weapon.
    Is this true in all cases? I don't believe in FL that LE will know whether or not I have a CWL.

Does anyone know whether or not this is tied into one's DL in every state? In FL?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I will be in Northern Lower MI for the next few weeks...what do you mean by 'while carrying for MI residents'...did you mean as compared to other states, or just MI residents but not travelers (from FL) in MI...that would be a new one on me...

Thanks...

ret
    While armed, if stopped MI law requires notification. The law is vague as to how soon , but to be on the safe side I always inform when they first approach the car.

Where in N. MI , if you don't mind me asking?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In MN, where I live, you are not required to notify the LEO that you are carrying. Nevertheless, I considered it to be common courtesy. I no longer do.

My opinion changed when, informed of my permit and pistol, a deputy sheriff proceeded to negligently point my own pistol at me while he attempted to clear the weapon. The point was only compounded when he informed me, "It's OK, I know how to handle a gun."
    "BBC bias hurts on a personal level, doesn't it? It's like having a favorite childhood relative who turns out to be a criminal." -- My brother.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Is this true in all cases? I don't believe in FL that LE will know whether or not I have a CWL.

Does anyone know whether or not this is tied into one's DL in every state? In FL?
    As far as I know, it varies by state. Here in CO for example, I don't believe it shows up 'attached' to either our DL or our car tags. I've seen some posts on here from other states where its attached to the owner's information, so it pops up when the plates are ran.

Courtesy is a two way street. Trust me, not all LEO's are courteous and polite. I understand there are many reasons for that. Tough job. Feel free to disclose what you wish. I can not understand why anyone would say anything they are not required to. Ever been audited by the IRS? You wanna be very careful what you offer up. Ever said anything off the cuff and someone overheard it? Trying to say too much can get you in trouble as fast as saying nothing. In my humble opinion, the fewer the words, the better I will be. Your mileage may vary of course.

Missouri, DL, not tags.

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Courtesy is a two way street. Trust me, not all LEO's are courteous and polite. I understand there are many reasons for that. Tough job. Feel free to disclose what you wish. I can not understand why anyone would say anything they are not required to. Ever been audited by the IRS? You wanna be very careful what you offer up. Ever said anything off the cuff and someone overheard it? Trying to say too much can get you in trouble as fast as saying nothing. In my humble opinion, the fewer the words, the better I will be. Your mileage may vary of course.
    I understand not all LEOs are courteous, fortunately all the ones I've had to deal with in my area have been very polite and friendly. And yes, I've made multiple off the cuff remarks that have been overheard and came back to bite me in the posterior. While that has made me more mindful of who's ears are around..it hasn't stopped me from making those off the cuff remarks.

While I agree with not saying anything to incriminate yourself if you've done something wrong, I don't understand the reluctance to be courteous. Fortunately, neither way of doing it is "wrong".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links