Informing LEO's that you are carrying

This is a discussion on Informing LEO's that you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow! I was just in an interesting discussion on this very issue over in another forum and it to a turn for the worst. It ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Informing LEO's that you are carrying

Wow! I was just in an interesting discussion on this very issue over in another forum and it to a turn for the worst. It went from offering up information to trusting and aiding and assisting officers.

All I can say is that, "Until I'm asked... I'm keeping my mouth shut."
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

2. Remove Ads

Well for all those people who don't want to inform of your carry status that is fine. Just don't make a big deal out of it if you get a gun in your face when your weapon gets noticed... legal or not. If I see a gun in the car and I wasn't informed. I have my gun on you and your face first on the ground period. Why wouldn't you tell me you're armed unless you are hiding something? Don't get me wrong I am not a LEO but that would be my assumption of how many would handle the situation.

Because I would expect you to see it on a routine traffic stop for speeding.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Missouri, DL, not tags.

In Missouri info still comes back on your tags! Your ccw endorsement is issued through Mo. Dept. of Revenue so it comes through when they stop you.

You have a choice of having your ccw endorsement show on your Drivers License or on State Issued ID Card.

I choose to have my ccw on a State Issued ID Card so everytime someone asks to see DL when cashing a check, they don't see the CCW endorsement. Heck I may not have seen the posted no gun sign when I walked into the establishment and no need for them to have a fit over it, or judging me.

When LEO pulls you over and runs a records check on your vehicle tags, it will come back that the owner is "Valid CCW until XXXX date", along with all the other info associated with a registration records check.

I know that because when I was pulled over, I listened to them run my own plates on my 2 way portable work radio when he stopped me. My wife heard it too listening at home.

When he approached my car he said... I didn't recognize your car when I stopped you, and told my I was going too fast as I was coming into town where the speed limit drops. He laughed and said, now that all your co-workers know you got stopped, you can go. (Our EMS staff are issued our own radios as part of our job and we share the same frequency as our county sheriff dept.)

Also when at home, I hear an occasional "Valid CCW until XXXX date" on the radio I have at my residence.

Not all states have the CCW status listed in their states DMV computer but Missouri does.
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 23rd, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    While armed, if stopped MI law requires notification. The law is vague as to how soon , but to be on the safe side I always inform when they first approach the car.

Where in N. MI , if you don't mind me asking?
    Mount Pleasant...Boyne City...might slip over to Alpena too...time permiting, I would like to ride my Harley (it's following us up in a trailer) over the Bridge...

What city are you in?...perhaps I'll ride through and buy you a cup of coffee...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mount Pleasant...Boyne City...might slip over to Alpena too...time permiting, I would like to ride my Harley (it's following us up in a trailer) over the Bridge...

What city are you in?...perhaps I'll ride through and buy you a cup of coffee...

ret
    If you're going over the bridge, you might as well go all the way to Sault Ste. Marie, MI and tour the locks and the Valley Camp Freighter museum ship. They have the remnants of two of the lifeboats of the Edmond Fitsgerald down in the hull. It's a nice self paced walking tour. Or go to the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point.

I do love the great lakes area. I was training with the coast guard up there a few years back with homeland security.

I want to take the wife up there with me for a vacation sometime. I'm assuming your bringing your guns so don't cross the border but some cool places on the Michigan side. If you have a place to secure your guns, the Bush Plane Museum in Sault, Ontario is a good tour
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'N...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If you're going over the bridge, you might as well go all the way to Sault Ste. Marie, MI and tour the locks and the Valley Camp Freighter museum ship. They have the remnants of two of the lifeboats of the Edmond Fitsgerald down in the hull. It's a nice self paced walking tour. Or go to the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point.

I do love the great lakes area. I was training with the coast guard up there a few years back with homeland security.

I want to take the wife up there with me for a vacation sometime. I'm assuming your bringing your guns so don't cross the border but some cool places on the Michigan side. If you have a place to secure your guns, the Bush Plane Museum in Sault, Ontario is a good tour
    I lived in the Soo for three years...and...I was an officer in the USCGR for six years (SAR in Traverse City...tough duty, but somebody had to do it!) it is a SMALL world...I know the U.P. quite well...and made many visits to Canada from there...

Take care...

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ken,

If the economy in MI wasn't so horrible, I'd consider living around the U.P. but still a great place to vacation. I love my job cause I travel and teach FEMA courses.

Definitely taking the wife to the Soo sometime.

Small world indeed! Hope you have a great trip!

Peace Out!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

In Colorado I am not required to notify, and living in El Paso County, when an officer runs my plates and license he still won't know -- there is a section of the CCIC (Colorado Crime Information Center) database for CHP licenses, but it's optional for individual Sheriff's to provide names, and El Paso County's (current) sheriff is outspoken against the database.

That said, arguments that others have effectively argued are:

1) not all LEO are pro-gun -- even though they carry a gun, some believe it is an entitlement of LE, and not for Joe Citizen.

2) a second argument against is that is that since LEOs are generally entitled to disarm you for the duration of the encounter, now a loaded firearm is being handled when there is no need. Not all permit holders or LEOs handle weapons safely.

If you're carrying IWB @ 3:30, don't notify, then reach for your wallet/license in your back right pocket, that could lead to a tense situation when your gun appears.

In Missouri info still comes back on your tags! Your ccw endorsement is issued through Mo. Dept. of Revenue so it comes through when they stop you.

You have a choice of having your ccw endorsement show on your Drivers License or on State Issued ID Card.

I choose to have my ccw on a State Issued ID Card so everytime someone asks to see DL when cashing a check, they don't see the CCW endorsement. Heck I may not have seen the posted no gun sign when I walked into the establishment and no need for them to have a fit over it, or judging me.

When LEO pulls you over and runs a records check on your vehicle tags, it will come back that the owner is "Valid CCW until XXXX date", along with all the other info associated with a registration records check.

I know that because when I was pulled over, I listened to them run my own plates on my 2 way portable work radio when he stopped me. My wife heard it too listening at home.

When he approached my car he said... I didn't recognize your car when I stopped you, and told my I was going too fast as I was coming into town where the speed limit drops. He laughed and said, now that all your co-workers know you got stopped, you can go. (Our EMS staff are issued our own radios as part of our job and we share the same frequency as our county sheriff dept.)

Also when at home, I hear an occasional "Valid CCW until XXXX date" on the radio I have at my residence.

Not all states have the CCW status listed in their states DMV computer but Missouri does.
    Interesting, since I am not the only one who drives my truck? That sure does not sound like the law, and I will follow up. I know the DOR is tied to your DL, but should not be tied to your tags. If that is the case, I need to address it with our reps and see about clarification, as it should not be that way. If that is the case, why the need for the CCW ID since it is tied to my tags? Does not make much sense. I see others who drive my truck getting hassled for their CCW when they don't have one? Could be lawsuit heaven me thinks....
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
    snip...arguments that others have effectively argued are:

1) not all LEO are pro-gun -- even though they carry a gun, some believe it is an entitlement of LE, and not for Joe Citizen.

2) a second argument against is that is that since LEOs are generally entitled to disarm you for the duration of the encounter, now a loaded firearm is being handled when there is no need. Not all permit holders or LEOs handle weapons safely.

If you're carrying IWB @ 3:30, don't notify, then reach for your wallet/license in your back right pocket, that could lead to a tense situation when your gun appears.
    I'd agree. Therefore I keep my license in my front pocket and my registration and POI over the visor. If the LEO asks I will offer up the information and present my CCW. If they DON'T ask but ask me to exit the vehicle I will then inform them. Other than that, I'll keep silent about my possession of a firearm. In all my encounters of being stopped (4 times in over 40 years, two resulting in citations) I've only been asked once and he merely asked where it was and the stop proceeded as normal.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I didn't want to hijack another persons thread on a "similar" subject so am starting a new one with this specific topic.

I am just wondering what people's reason for NOT informing LEO's they are carrying if not required.
    I don't inform them, and the reason is, it serves no purpose.

Since I know I don't mean the officer any harm, what exactly am I warning him of? I am not informing him to exercise caution around me, since I know that none is needed, since I know I am not planning to endanger him.

There is no point to informing him to watch me and what I might do with my gun; if I were going to do something with my gun to hurt him, I wouldn't inform him, now would I?

Bad guys who mean the officer harm will certainly not inform him ahead of an attack that a weapon attack is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy into insurance card stops, drunk driving stops, weapons checks, conservation agent stops, or seat belt stops or the like. I break the law, stop me. If not, leave me alone. In short, I will volunteer nothing.
    Same here. Have you heard of how, in some places, they stop people who have been OBEYING the law? They disguise this blatant snooping by offering a "reward" for good behavior: If the cop observes you obeying the speed limit, or wearing your seatbelt, he stops you and gives you free movie tickets to thank you for doing what the law says to do.

He also gets to treat himself to a nice closeup view of what the interior of your car contains, how your breath smells (to check for alcohol even though your driving did not indicate intoxication), how bloodshot your eyes might be...

Like you said, if I'm not breaking the law, your job is to leave me alone, officer.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    If I were an LEO and pulled someone over I would want to know.
    ...Uh, yeah, and you'd get informed only by those people who were not going to be threatening you in the first place. So, what would you gain, exactly?

By contrast, if you did get informed by motorist A, and then motorist B, your next stop, said nothing, would you act all itchy around B? Or should you be acting with due caution and awareness around all motorists you stop, and not depend on whether a bad guy is going to tell you, out of courtesy, that he's about to draw a gun on you and try to shoot you?

Quote Originally Posted by jcheinaman View Post
    Well for all those people who don't want to inform of your carry status that is fine. Just don't make a big deal out of it if you get a gun in your face when your weapon gets noticed... legal or not.
    You think that's justified? Just because you might see a bit of magazine floorplate, even though no move toward the gun is made? You're going to jeopardize my life by pointing a loaded gun in my face just because you saw a gun that you don't yet know I'm carrying illegally? I mean, if you're pulling a guy over in a state that issues CCW licenses, and does not require licensees to blurt out to you that they're armed, I think that what you describe is assault.

If I see a gun in the car and I wasn't informed. I have my gun on you and your face first on the ground period.
    That viewpoint sounds ignorant, to me. You're going to throw me on the ground face-first even though you know that there's a very good possibility that I carry my gun legally, just because you saw a glimpse of it -- NO REACH, just a GLIMPSE -- and I did not tell you it was there ahead of time? You won't engage your brain and allow yourself to decide based on my demeanor or other circumstances; you've made up your mind to have one immutable response to seeing a gun? I thought a good LEO responds with fluidity and adaptation.

Why wouldn't you tell me you're armed unless you are hiding something? Don't get me wrong I am not a LEO but that would be my assumption of how many would handle the situation.
    How many bad guys do you think you'd get informing you of the bad things they plan to do? BTW, I only just noticed that you said you're not an LEO; I find that a relief. If you behaved the way you described, I think you'd be an abusive cop. But perhaps if you were going to be one, they'd have nipped your avowed response in the bud and told you how you should respond in such a situation. Hopefully.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links