Informing LEO's that you are carrying

Informing LEO's that you are carrying

This is a discussion on Informing LEO's that you are carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to hijack another persons thread on a "similar" subject so am starting a new one with this specific topic. I am just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Informing LEO's that you are carrying

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916

    Informing LEO's that you are carrying

    I didn't want to hijack another persons thread on a "similar" subject so am starting a new one with this specific topic.

    I am just wondering what people's reason for NOT informing LEO's they are carrying if not required.

    CCW is a fact of life in all but a couple of hold out states so LEO's are more than aware of it and should be used to it by now.

    I for one, look at it as just a matter of "courtesy" among gunslingers.

    I believe more people in todays society seem to show very little courtesy these days, and I for one don't think that trend is a good thing.

    My state does not require to inform LEO's unless asked, and if I'm not carrying I don't inform them.

    If I am carrying, I show a little common courtesy and inform them even though not required. My state also shows ccw endorcement on the owners vehicle registration, though I know not all states do.

    My question is for those who DO NOT inform LEO's they are carrying...

    I am just wondering what your reason's are?

    Just trying to gain some insight here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."


  2. #2
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,484
    Popular subject and usually the folks who don't mention it to a cop are guarding their rights jealously - understandable in some respects. Only of course in states where it is not mandatory.

    In PA I have no duty to inform but - I look at it as if I am the cop - and I tell you, I do not envy any cop any traffic stop!!!

    I do consider it a courtesy as well as safeguarding myself - when if not disclosed it is discovered later. I'd prefer to be up front and help the poor guy relax a bit, knowing in theory at least I am a good guy.

    There will always be two sides and we each ''defend our corner'' - often quite vehemently but in the end I'll just say - do what you feel is best for you - and I choose the courtesy route.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array mark555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Posts
    680
    In my state the CCL and DL is the same number. That being said I would think that if the officer runs your DL it will come back with the information that you have a CCL. Personally I would want the person I stop to volunteer that information (no longer in law enforcement retired). So I have always figured that would be one of the first things out of my mouth right after “good morning/evening officer”.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

    “The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

    “My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

  4. #4
    Member Array Spiff_P239's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    178
    In my state (Michigan), we are required to disclose whether or not we are carrying. I also see it as a matter of convenience for the officer as well. I would rather he know right off the bat rather than have him notice it when I go reaching for my wallet. I figure if I'm already pulled over, I'm looking to get out of the situation with as little trouble as possible.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    In my state (Michigan), we are required to disclose whether or not we are carrying.
    Really?

    In Ohio one has to notify ONLY if one is carrying. If not, I don't have to say anything unless asked.

    I simply do not believe that I should. There are many states where such notification is not required and I have yet to see a true story of somebody drawn down on because the officer saw a weapon.

    If flashing your weapon is a possibility when reaching for your DL, either modify how you carry your weapon or modify how you carry your ID.

    Needless to say, I disagree with the requirement to notify and with notifying when not required.

  6. #6
    Lead Moderator
    Array rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    16,081
    I believe you only have to inform while carrying for MI residents.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson


    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,121
    If it happens I plan on going the courtesy route if I am in a state that doesn't require it. Here it is required and he will know when he runs the plate. In class the instructor [ a part time LEO ] said tell if or not armed. I asked a Lt. Deputy Sheriff and he said tell them only if armed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    In class the instructor [ a part time LEO ] said tell if or not armed. I asked a Lt. Deputy Sheriff and he said tell them only if armed.
    That's why it's best to actually read what the law says for yourself. ONE of those two cops is wrong.

  9. #9
    Member Array jackofspades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post

    I simply do not believe that I should. There are many states where such notification is not required and I have yet to see a true story of somebody drawn down on because the officer saw a weapon.

    I realize that Bark'n's intent with this thread was to here primarily from people who don't notify (obviously, when not required by law), and the majority of replies seem to be along the 'I'll notify' line (for what it's worth.. I'll notify as well..common courtesy to me).

    I'm not picking in you S&WFan..but you're the only one to have replied who seems to be against notification.. and I'm curious as to why.. what "harm" can come from notifying a LEO that you are armed?

    One of the major points in the open vs concealed carry debates is always that concealed = surprise = tactical advantage. Is the thought from those who don't want to notify LEOs about the presence of a weapon that they don't want to give up a tactical advantage over the LEO?

    I've tried to see both sides of this (since this topic seems to have come up a few times, even in my short time on this forum), but I honestly cannot see a viable reason NOT to notify. I don't see anything gained by keeping it a secret from the officer...

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,084

    Rocky...

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I believe you only have to inform while carrying for MI residents.
    I will be in Northern Lower MI for the next few weeks...what do you mean by 'while carrying for MI residents'...did you mean as compared to other states, or just MI residents but not travelers (from FL) in MI...that would be a new one on me...

    Thanks...

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,300
    In my state you are not required to inform. However, if you are pulled over the officer knows you have a permit as soon as he/she runs your plate so...

    I think it's just common courtesy. I also think the police are the good guys.

    So I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t inform them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array mocarryguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    578
    Last time I was stopped was 1980, and it was not my fault. I go by what the law says and will do what the law says, no more. They will find out if I do get stopped for some reason when / if they run my DL, and they can ask according to the law. I obey the law, they obey the law, all is good in the universe.
    Sorry, but I don't buy into insurance card stops, drunk driving stops, weapons checks, conservation agent stops, or seat belt stops or the like. I break the law, stop me. If not, leave me alone. In short, I will volunteer nothing.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,443
    I notify even if i am not carrying. When pulled over I present my CHL and DL weather I am carrying or not.

    When the LEO runs your ID he will see that you have a CHL. I wouod rather get this out of the way up front and just inform that I have a CHL and that I am either carrying or not.

    Just the way I do it.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

    -- Theodore Roosevelt --

  14. #14
    Member Array Jeremiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monroe County, NY
    Posts
    185
    First and only time I was pulled over while carrying was before I found CC-- now DC-- and read all the opinions on the subject. In NY you're not required to inform. I was pocket carrying and didn't think it was worth the possible hassle to disclose. Had it been IWB I would have as there's a chance it could have been seen.
    Everything worked out fine, but in the future if I am pulled over I plan to inform for the excellent reasons people have posted in other threads.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    I'm not picking in you S&WFan..but you're the only one to have replied who seems to be against notification.. and I'm curious as to why.. what "harm" can come from notifying a LEO that you are armed?

    One of the major points in the open vs concealed carry debates is always that concealed = surprise = tactical advantage. Is the thought from those who don't want to notify LEOs about the presence of a weapon that they don't want to give up a tactical advantage over the LEO?

    I've tried to see both sides of this (since this topic seems to have come up a few times, even in my short time on this forum), but I honestly cannot see a viable reason NOT to notify. I don't see anything gained by keeping it a secret from the officer...
    I was going to compose an answer, then I saw mocarryguy made my point beautifully:

    I go by what the law says and will do what the law says, no more. They will find out if I do get stopped for some reason when / if they run my DL, and they can ask according to the law. I obey the law, they obey the law, all is good in the universe.
    Sorry, but I don't buy into insurance card stops, drunk driving stops, weapons checks, conservation agent stops, or seat belt stops or the like. I break the law, stop me. If not, leave me alone. In short, I will volunteer nothing.
    It's simply a matter of what is right, not what is expedient or convenient.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Informing LEO
    By sentioch in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM
  2. SC question on informing LEOs.
    By Mikhail in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
  3. fmj or hp when carrying .380
    By bellbw in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: February 13th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Search tags for this page

ccw informing

,

concealed carry mandatory informing

,

concealed carry mandatory informing states

,

do you have to inform leo you are carrying in pa

,

informing leo of concealed carry

,

informing leo of concealed weapon law ohio

,

why is mandatory informing bad ccw

Click on a term to search for related topics.