City of Albany, NY Concealed Carry Question

This is a discussion on City of Albany, NY Concealed Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an unrestricted New York State Concealed Carry Permit and will be visiting the City of Albany, NY over the summer and I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have an unrestricted New York State Concealed Carry Permit and will be visiting the City of Albany, NY over the summer and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry concealed with this permit in the city. I reviewed the municipal laws online and it appears you need a permit issued by the Police Commissioner to carry in the city. I have been unable to get a response after emailing the Albany PD. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Albany

As far as I know, your permit is good anywere in NY except New York City.

What a bummer... a unrestricted NY permit is NOT permitted in Bloomberg's Domain.

What a President he'd make.....NOT!

God bless,

Larry

Don't see anything about Albany in NYS Penal law. Since they haven't gotten back to you, you could ask local LEO agency if you wanted. But as far as I know it's perfectly legal and have carried in that area.

I've never read of any such restriction. I live 30 miles west of Albany and visit the city many times throughout the year, legally armed.
    Joe

You're good to go.I live just outside Albany(grew up in the south end,where you NEED a gun)...except NYC your permit is good everywhere,although Albany's mayor is an a-hole when it comes to guns,you can still carry.
    BTW,if you're looking for a good place to eat..the Paradiso Ristorante,on Central av......
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

My wife and I have New York State unrestricted Concealed Carry Permits and we were specifically told by the permit authorities that we can legally carry anywhere except bars, schools, government buildings, New York City and your place of employment unless you are required to carry by your employer.

kelsey- did they cite any law about bars and places of employment? Don't see it in NYS Penal law.

Jeremiah, the only state law they cited was 265.01 Paragraph 3 of the penal code regarding schools. They said it was against the law to carry into government buildings, but did not cite the state or federal code. As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together. As to employers, while there is no law, they said that unless you are required to carry at work, you must get permission to have a firearm on company property since most companies ban any firearm from company property. They had called my company to find out their policy.

Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
    As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together.
    If there is no law... how do they intend to do that? Since you are not breaking any laws wouldn't it be your issuing county that decides that, not albany (whatever county that's in)?

You're correct, the issuing judge can revoke it. Not another county's judge.
    I really don't think anyone from Albany is going to call a different county to complain about you legally carrying if you're behaving yourself-- or anything happening if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
    As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together.
    They're also concerned about alcohol and driving, but cars aren't banned at bars. I wouldn't carry if I intended to be drinking, but if I'm stopping at a bar to meet someone, and drink soda, I wouldn't expect to be hassled.

As to employers, while there is no law, they said that unless you are required to carry at work, you must get permission to have a firearm on company property since most companies ban any firearm from company property. They had called my company to find out their policy.
    This would trouble me. Why are they calling your employer about this? Did they inform your employer that you were applying for a permit? Not sure why they would care about company policy since it is not a law enforcement issue and I don't think it's in their pervue to be informing people that I have a CCW.
    As to getting permission, I think that's bogus. Unless you have specifically agreed to a no-firearms policy (and your employment there would be an implicit agreement if it's a stated policy), there should be no reason to ask permission. If you are allowed to be in a place, and firearms aren't forbidden there by law or policy, you should have no reason to reveal you status by asking permission.

As you can tell, it really bothers me when "authorities" spread misinformation about the law. Of course, read my signature, I don't know what I'm talking about ;) I'd welcome some lawyers chiming in on this.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Unrestricted carry

Your pistol permit is a NYS permit which means it is valid throughout the state of NY. Just stay away from NYC as you would need a endorsement from the NYC police department.

You guys are on the same page as me. Bar carry is fine unless you are being an idiot (drinking, etc...)

Place of employment is fine unless it's posted. You don't have to "ask for permission".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links