Nice touch!

Nice touch!

This is a discussion on Nice touch! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just remembered this - after bank visit today - Dropped into bank a while ago (CCW as per) - mainly to cash a money order ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice touch!

Assistant Administrator

Nice touch!

Just remembered this - after bank visit today -

Dropped into bank a while ago (CCW as per) - mainly to cash a money order but - while there asked where I could get something notarized locally, not wishing to drive the 4 miles to where I usually went.

Oh yes indeed was the answer - and was shown into small office (loans office). Generously sized and pleasant lady greets me and I sit down. We run thru what I want done and she does it - it was part of my app' for FL CCW.

''Oh'' says she - ''so you carry?''. I nod affirmation. She then proceeds to tell me all about her hubby who carries and every other member of her family that does too. We then get on to what I carry. I show her (discreetly, as her office had no door!). She then tells me every weapon in her family!!!

My time required for notarizing - barely 5 minutes and no charge!! Time taken discussing ''carry matters'' - at least 20 minutes!

Result? A very pleasant all but 30 minutes, and a warm feeling of cameraderie! Nice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    And, of course, you told her about CombatCarry.com?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    And, of course, you told her about CombatCarry.com?
    Chris P-95 may be in trouble now!!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

P95Carry, that had to be a good moment and make you feel pretty good when a bank lady talks about carrying. I believe awhile back on our forum someone told about a guy's jacket was open a little more than should be for carry and some women customer began a rant about guy with a gun bank robber etc. Now that would scare the hell out of anyone. Glad you had a good experience for once.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - Bumper - I have since in fact mentioned about CC - I think back then was around time I signed up.... lemme see - no, it was before cos it was mid February. It just happened that yesterday's bank visit was the catalyst that jogged my recollection.

I must say - I am even more careful when in Banks than maybe anywhere else - that no possible exposure can occur - not wanting any ''freaked out'' folks! Ain't worth the hassle.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    :)

Ain't gun folks the nicest folks in the world. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Ain't gun folks the nicest folks in the world.
    Haha - WE know that to be true CE - well for most part. But try convincing the Brady Bunch of that!!
    Chris - P95

I don't know about you guy's, but I don't tell anyone or show anyone that I'm carrying. Only my wife knows for sure. Just my take on it.

I sure as heck don't advertise it either, but if someone asks, I either decline to comment or I tell the truth.

And thing is when you go to get your carry paperwork notarized you have to tell the notary what it is for. I got an ugly look when I had mine notarized.

Assistant Administrator
    Realleycat - hey - welcome.

I think we are all generally pretty discrete with who we tell. My wife and step-kids know - to be expected as I carry open all time at home! Oh and my neighbor I guess too.

Otherwise - my own son and daughter. Any (most) bud's at gun club - again I'd say - to be expected.

Otherwise - it is discretion all the way - unless a fellow CCW should be found and the subject crops up in conversation (instance my chat with bank lady). It is NOT for sure - something to advertize to all and sundry.

One of the things that the ''macho'' types I have posted on - love to do, because they feel so ''big''!!! ''Look at me'' - ''look what I got''!!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    First of all,let me say that I am not intentionally trying to be critical. Let me give you some of my thoughts about the "bank incident". You walk into a bank that you have never been in before or "don't usually go". Some lady that you don't know and/or doesn't know you tells a complete stranger about her husband that has a CCW and carries,also all the other members of her family that have a CCW and "every weapon in her family". Then ya'll start talking about what you carry and you(in the bank) lift up your shirt/vest/coat(or did you take the weapon completely out of the holster)and show a complete stranger your weapon(in the bank). ??? I say this with due respect--- I would have not talked CCW issues in a bank with a complete stranger. I would have not exposed my weapon to a complete stranger INSIDE A BANK. If I were her husband and found out that my wife had just told a complete stranger about my carry habbits and probably what I carry I would be(very,very) upset. If I were a member of her family and I found out that she had told a comptete stranger about "every weapon in her family" I would be (very,very) upset. I am very proud that I am able to CCW. I am proud to be one of the good guys. I am also very private (so is my wife) about what we carry,how we carry,and when we carry. I rarely discuss these things with my closest friends in private.(I will to a certin degree on a forum such as this because of the annonimity.) Also, when you get a notary to notarize a document she/he does NOT need to know what the doccument is or what it's for. The notary is just signing that they know that this is actually your signature---THAT IS ALL ! The above is just one respectful opinion on the (BANK INCIDENT). I'm sure that their are others.

Well actually yeah, you do.

Sorry RSSZ but I went to two places and they both told me the same thing. Neither notary would sign something without knowing what they were signing.

Point of fact when I took the class to get the permit that's one thing we went over was how to get all the paperwork in, and one of the things our instructor covered was to use a notary public we knew personally if at all possible due to the fact you have to declare what it is.

Think about it. Would you sign something if you didn't know what it was? I sure as heck wouldn't, and I'd be a little extra cautious if my signature carried the weight of a notary public.

You don't have any privacy really anyway. The instant you applied for that permit your privacy went out the window. Not saying that's right, just that's how it is with the way the laws are made.

It's a big responsibility when you decide to carry a weapon. It shouldn't be for show. I agree with you 100%.

At a bank no less...
    Amazing.

Assistant Administrator
    RSSZ - your points are taken - I would mention tho - and maybe I forgot to say - I am a regular at this bank, it's my very local branch. The ''loans office'' lady was probably the only person I had not yet met. I know all the tellers and they know me - we are all local.

As Euc mentioned - the form she was to notarize was pretty obvious in its content - as said it was for my FL carry. I was not drawing her attention to this - she just commented with a smile and went on to volunteer her approval of carry. The spoke with enthusiasm about her husband and family - and when she asked about my carry, it was discreetest of moves to show - just a flash. I was out of sight of all other parts of the bank, despite the open door - my strong side was against an outside wall.

In hindsight - I doubt I could have steered the conversation away from carry - perhaps I was over enthusiastic admitting I was carrying in there - that could well be thought by some... but this is a gun savvy area in general.

I realize that writing a post on something such as this - it could well be imagined/interpreted differently, compared with what I know cos I was there.

Anyways - no problem with your post - it is one of the great things about this place - all aspects get brought up and certainly, stimulate thought beyond what may have been originally written.

BTW - I do not even now have any bad feelings about that episode and have since seen and spoken with that lady - away from the bank! She is actually it turns out ''well connected'' re local LE - so I don't think I have given myself any unwanted exposure. She approaches me for a chat!
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links