Carrying Concealed in Estes Park, CO

This is a discussion on Carrying Concealed in Estes Park, CO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and I are planning a trip to Colorado next month, and as this is the first year that I will be carrying concealed, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Concealed in Estes Park, CO

Carrying Concealed in Estes Park, CO

My family and I are planning a trip to Colorado next month, and as this is the first year that I will be carrying concealed, I was trying to determine if I can carry inside of Estes Park.

I know that there are abilities to carry in National Forests, but not parks, but I cannot find the exact information related to what the designation is for that area, nor any Colorado law telling me whether or not this area designation is legal in which to carry a concealed weapon in.

Help?
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

It's Rocky Mountain National Park you are going to be concerned with, not the town of Estes Park.

I assume you are referring to carrying in the city of Estes Park and not Rocky Mountain National Park, which is nearby. Though I leave whether city carry is legal to those here that may be from Colorado, the latter is clearly off limits. For many, the point of going to Estes is to enter the national park. If that's the case for you, at some point you will need to leave your weapon behind unattended.

Not much to add other than what's already been said, just wanted to let you know my wife and I honeymooned in Estes Park in '97. Highly recommend Nicky's restaurant, we ate at least one meal there everyday for the entire honeymoon - great food and friendly people.
    Jack

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Not much to add other than what's already been said, just wanted to let you know my wife and I honeymooned in Estes Park in '97. Highly recommend Nicky's restaurant, we ate at least one meal there everyday for the entire honeymoon - great food and friendly people.
    Jack
    Honeymoon and you had time to eat??
    What are the kids today coming too?? LOL
    If you go through RMNP from Estes Park, you exit in Grand Lake. Home of the states deepest, (and coldest) natural lake. Great fishing and good food. Enjoy the whole area. Beware of the Elk. They really get your poaching temptation up! Beautiful area. The Colorado river orgin is in RMNP. The river that carved the Grand Canyon is just a step across crick in RMNP.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Actually...

Actually we will be in the park itself. I am finewith carry in the town, but once I cross over the "border" into the park itself (As we love taking the bear lake hike near Moraine Meadows), I am concerned that because it is a National Park, I might get banned from concealed carry.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I have some restaurants that will need my attendance...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Actually we will be in the park itself. I am finewith carry in the town, but once I cross over the "border" into the park itself (As we love taking the bear lake hike near Moraine Meadows), I am concerned that because it is a National Park, I might get banned from concealed carry.

BTW, thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I have some restaurants that will need my attendance...
    Yup..Don't take your guns into the National Park. Anyway, enjoy your stay in Colorado. You'll probably love it. I do.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    You can take firearms into the park, but they have to be locked and unloaded.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

National parks

Living in Northern AZ. I go to the Grand Canyon a lot, for business and pleasure. While carrying a firearm in a N.P. is illegal, I don't believe possesing one is. It MUST be unloaded and disabled, and put away. Here's what I do, I eject the mag, put it and my spare in the glovebox, (I don't carry any pertinent info in the glovebox), I use a cable lock and secure my weapon (action open) to a bracket under the folding back seat of my Jeep. I drop the key to the lock in the glovebox with the mags and lock the glovebox. If an LEO feels the need to rip my Jeep apart for some reason, I'm already in a lot more trouble than my legal firearm is going to get me in Enjoy your trip to Colorado, use some common sense regarding your weapon, and you will be fine!! I'm heading up there next week to do some fishing with my father/mother, My dad's birthday is next Saturday, I'm giving him a S&W 686 SS . Mom got him a case and a boresnake. I will gaurentee that there will be some shooting done, (not in a N.P. )
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Thanks a ton for the help. As the trip is next month, the first part of the common sense you described is to know where one can carry, and where one cannot. The other is to familiarize myself with Colorado Concealed Laws.

I just want to be prepared, although, it is amazing to me that you can wear a concealed weapon in the middle of downtown Denver, but cannot take it into the woods. I would think that it would be more important to carry in the woods, as you cannot negotiate out of a wild animal attack...

I guess I am left with my Buck knife. I'll lash it to a stick to fend them off...
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Thanks a ton for the help. As the trip is next month, the first part of the common sense you described is to know where one can carry, and where one cannot. The other is to familiarize myself with Colorado Concealed Laws.

I just want to be prepared, although, it is amazing to me that you can wear a concealed weapon in the middle of downtown Denver, but cannot take it into the woods. I would think that it would be more important to carry in the woods, as you cannot negotiate out of a wild animal attack...

I guess I am left with my Buck knife. I'll lash it to a stick to fend them off...
    Yep!, I agree with the fending off of wild animals, I asked that question a few years back up to Yosemite. Mr. Ranger told me to get a bell to hook to my backpack, and some pepper spray for bears, I later found out that they were finding bear poop that smelled like pepper and had little bells in it.... Didn't you say you were taking the Bear Lake trail??JK. Check out www.packing.org for updates on CCW in Denver, it seems to me that I heard about some preemptive measures concerning Denver. BTW no offence ment about "common sense", just my way of expressing myself
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

No worries! I understood just what you were saying.

Now that I have been opened up to the concealed carry world, I have noticed that I am doing much more research in knowing where I can, and cannot take it. Maybe it is just me, but iuf the state think I am competent enough to wear a pistol at my side, should it really matter where I go? Sorry, let me get off my soapbox...

As a Texas permit holder, I have to abide by the laws of Colorado, and I was having difficulty in figuring out just where I could and could not.

Thanks for the suggestion of the website. I am heading there as soon as this posts!
    NRA Member

packing.org has sort of fallen by the wayside as of late. Try looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us for current, searchable regs.
    Jack

In looking at some of these websites, I noticed that I could carry anywhere in Colorado, except for areas specifically listed in the regulations under CRS 18-12-214. On Handgunlaw.us, it states that I could enter into the National Forest while carrying concealed.

My problem is the line "Except where permitted by federal law". I feel fairly certain that is where you all are quoting from, but I cannot find any information related to the federal prohibitions.

Could I pester someone to send me the link related to the Federal "No carry areas" list? I think it would help me on future excursions as well.
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    While i will not advise anyone to break any law for any reason, I will post an observation . If one knows how to look for the " tells " one tends to see a lot of armed folks in that park , as well as others that are in fact armed , for the most part in my experience park rangers have better things to do than go around harassing apparently law abiding hikers who are not creating a disturbance, and are seemingly oblivious to some of the apparent tells , even when pointed out in conversations that i will not relate . We have had some fairly horrific crimes in the back country of colorado and rangers know they are unlikely to be able to protect anyone , Drunks and " Scrotes " are another class for ranger attention tho . Its food for thought in that officer descretion is alive and well even at the fed level , and also that how you dress and behave will have an impact in real life no matter your absolute right to be an idiot .

Edited to add : I live within spitting distance of the Comanche National Grassland , and in fact run cattle on them via a lease . My lease does not mention weapons at all , and the only posted areas i have seen is one campsite , There is even a nice little rifle/pistol range out to about 800 meters or so with steel game targets at 300 and 600 on it a bit south of town . I will point out it is unattended , but maintained by them and on thier property . open to the public at no charge . They only ask you sign a " guest book " there so they can show use of the range and continue to allocate funds , I sign it every time i drive by ( useing a variaty of names and states ) to help them keep funding up .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links