Auto with hammer down? - Page 2

Auto with hammer down?

This is a discussion on Auto with hammer down? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Protect -1 DAO/DAK does not have a decocking lever (there is no cocked to decock). But will be perfectly safe with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto with hammer down?

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    -1 DAO/DAK does not have a decocking lever (there is no cocked to decock). But will be perfectly safe with the hammer down and a round in the chamber.

Any DA/SA , DAO, DAK weapon worth owning should/will have a safety that locks the firing pin in place unless the trigger is pulled. Even if you drop it on the hammer, the firing pin cannot strike the primer.

SAO should not be carried hammer down, round in the chamber as they do not have this type of safety. I wouldn't carry a DA/SA like a Sig in the cocked position since there is no safety.
    -1 for you too. The Sig 220 SAO can have the safety engaged (ON) with the hammer down.

But I sure don't carry it that way, but you could store in like that in the home, which I also wouldn't do.

+1 for cocked and locked. We have no children at home any more.
    My wife is into guns and their safe use, she's more comfortable with a DAO. I'm onboard with whatever she's comfortable using. But for me it's a 1911 that's ready to do what it does best.

me
    I had an instructor who is a former Marine (65 years of age) that has been handling 1911s since the Corps gave him one at age 17. He needed to fire on a dog one day when it attached his wife. He had the gun with a round chambered and hammer down to take it to the range. He could not get it to fire under the stressful situation because it had the hammer down. He pulled the trigger twice before he tap racked, the hammer went back and the gun fired. All is well for them but hammer down is not good.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    To me a 1911 is designed to be cocked and locked. If I wasn't comfortable with that I'd buy a SIG!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    -1 DAO/DAK does not have a decocking lever (there is no cocked to decock). But will be perfectly safe with the hammer down and a round in the chamber.
    I would argue that in that case, the trigger is the decocking lever.

Blackeagle,

The solution which you seek has been in play for some time and available as a user installable (no gunsmithing required) upgrade for 1911s via the folks at Cylinder & Slide...

Product - http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs.shtml
    Article - http://www.cylinder-slide.com/SafetyFast.shtml
    Ayoob review (He likes it!)- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_64565407

FWIW I have no attachment to C&S and do not currently have this system or even seen it in play IRL.
    I was though a few years back entertaining it for my carry gun though I never pulled the trigger, pun intended.

- Janq

"There are lots of people who like Colt .45s and Browning Hi-Powers but don't like the cocked-and-locked concept. The Safety Fast Shooting System is a viable option that works." - Massad Ayoob, 'Safety Fast Shooting System: The Condition One Alternative'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If a person chooses to use condition 2, it has been recommended to practice that in a freshly plowed field to minimize ricochet. In other words, it ain't safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Blackeagle,

The solution which you seek has been in play for some time and available as a user installable (no gunsmithing required) upgrade for 1911s via the folks at Cylinder & Slide...

Product - http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs.shtml
    Article - http://www.cylinder-slide.com/SafetyFast.shtml
    Ayoob review (He likes it!)- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_64565407

FWIW I have no attachment to C&S and do not currently have this system or even seen it in play IRL.
    I was though a few years back entertaining it for my carry gun though I never pulled the trigger, pun intended.

- Janq

"There are lots of people who like Colt .45s and Browning Hi-Powers but don't like the cocked-and-locked concept. The Safety Fast Shooting System is a viable option that works." - Massad Ayoob, 'Safety Fast Shooting System: The Condition One Alternative'

Wow, It's been a long time since I first saw that product introduced at Cylinder & Slide!

It always looked to be a good item that fullfilled a purpose instead of just being a cheap gadget. I totally forgot all about it and didn't know it was still available.

Didn't fill my bill as I always carried my 1911's condition 1 and at home stored condition 3.

Still looks like a viable option for those wishing to fill a void.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll back up Janq on his recommendation. C&S does wonders with their system so much so that Browning offers them on the best pistol that John Browning ever made as an option from the factory.

I firmly believe that both of John Brownings should be carried Condition 1 (both my 1911s and my Hi Power are kept that way, loaded in their gun safes) but if for some reason your uncomfortable with it that is an option.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links