Auto with hammer down?

This is a discussion on Auto with hammer down? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber Ultra that is strictly for home defense, it is generally close at hand, when I carry I usr my Kahr PM9. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto with hammer down?

Auto with hammer down?

I have a Kimber Ultra that is strictly for home defense, it is generally close at hand, when I carry I usr my Kahr PM9. Here is my question....what do you think about keeping my home defense gun with 1 in the chamber but dropping the hammer. I could drop if safely outside, and if somebody was to try to enter I could simply pull the hammer back and I think time would not be a factor in this case.

I am just wanting to be as safe as possible!!! Thanks
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    With a 1911, it's either condition 1 (cocked and locked, one in the pipe) or condition 3 (hammer down, chamber empty). I'd consider anything else unsafe, and condition 3 is like having your pants around your ankles. If you want a home defense gun to keep hammer down/safety on, look at one of the many DA/SA pistols with decockers, from Sig, Beretta, et. al.

OD*
    If you're really wanting to be as safe as possible, hammer down on an empty chamber. The chance of your thumb slipping when lowering or cocking the hammer is too real a possibility for me and I've been carrying a 1911 for a few years now and am very comfortable with it's design.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

If your concern is safety, then dropping the hammer on a live cartridge isn't a good idea. Not that it is anyway. C&L is perfectly safe, as is condition 3. I agree with Joe though, if you're not comfortable with condition 1, I would look at another gun.

Myself.... I think that is a bad idea for a couple of reasons. 1st. in order the cock the hammer you need fine motor skills.....they go south in a bad situation. 2nd, if the weapon was dropped there is a much greater chance of a AD if dropped with the hammer down on a hot round. I would either have it in condition 1 (cocked and locked) or condition 3 (hammer down on an empty chamber). If you do not feel safe with it in Con.1, I would suggest Con.3, that way you rack the slide and you're good to go.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Thanks

OK...Thats all I needed to hear, you all talked me out of it. Thanks!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

+1 what everyone else said.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

as a general rule "letting down the hammer" on a 1911 isn't good practice . rather just keep the chamber empty .

what drives you to want to do this ? safety would be negated with the "let down" . speed would not be factor as you say , maybe racking the slide would be more intimidating ,such as just showing a would be perp on the street .

i'm not familiar with the kahr but if continuity is what you seek, trade the kimber for a couple more kahrs to be stashed around the house , and a steak dinner.

lol just joking Kfans .

safety is utmost and the foremost issue, safe in your home as well as with handling .

my defense gun self and home ,same 1911, stays con1 with safety engaged 99.95% time .

stay safe good luck
    elance

I grew up with the 1911, but 'cocked and locked' or having a gun with an empty chamber was an unsatisfactory choice. I now use only DA/SA or DAO autos, and would only have a SA auto for target work.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    The 1911 is as safe cocked and locked as and DA/SA or DAO pistol is with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. It isn't going ot fire unless you tell it to.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The only autos that should be carried with the hammer down are those with a decocking lever.

Condition 1 or buy a new DA/SA, DAO, DAK etc...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Run the gun the way The Prophet John Moses Browning intended.

VIP Member
    I've gotten to the point where the only time I touch the hammer is while I'm cleaning a 1911.

Once the gun is together & function checked, I don't touch the hammer again until I break down the next time for cleaning. The only time the hammer is down is on an EMPTY chamber, if bullets are in the gun hammer is cocked.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The only autos that should be carried with the hammer down are those with a decocking lever.
    -1 DAO/DAK does not have a decocking lever (there is no cocked to decock). But will be perfectly safe with the hammer down and a round in the chamber.

Any DA/SA , DAO, DAK weapon worth owning should/will have a safety that locks the firing pin in place unless the trigger is pulled. Even if you drop it on the hammer, the firing pin cannot strike the primer.

SAO should not be carried hammer down, round in the chamber as they do not have this type of safety. I wouldn't carry a DA/SA like a Sig in the cocked position since there is no safety.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links