Your first day carrying concealed?

This is a discussion on Your first day carrying concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Same as many others. Very aware I had a gun, felt like anyone else could see it as well. That passed pretty quick, no one ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your first day carrying concealed?

Same as many others. Very aware I had a gun, felt like anyone else could see it as well. That passed pretty quick, no one thinks gun.
    Very comfortable with it now, wouldn't be without it when legal.
    I have a friend with a permit who doesn't carry much at all. It's almost funny when he does because he hasn't really outgrown the "everyone can tell" phase.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I got pulled over the first day I ever carried concealed. Was going about 30 in a 25 and coming into a school zone (20 mph), I suddenly realized it a little late and tapped my brakes. Had a motorcycle cop behind me and he decided to pull me over.

I just immediately informed him, and showed him my reserve deputy ID. We had a nice chat, and then he said have a nice day and drive safe. He kicked me loose with no citation or warning.

I think I sweated about a gallon in that first minute, worried that he wouldn't recognize my id since we were in a different county.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Mostly uncomfortable, because at the time I thought the Thunderwear holster was a good idea. Live and learn. One good thing about that holster is that I was sure no one could see it, and if they did see a bulge, well, that was OK with me. Now like most of you I know it's there but don't worry about it anymore.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

1st day carry, Las Colinas, TX. Basspro>Walmart (no nachos) Target>Sportsman's Warehouse...

Very uneventful, but realized that 1.25 belt wasn't going to do the trick-even if double thickness.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I had the same "neon sign" feeling. It was all i could think about & also you kinda feel like your doing something illegal even though your not. But after about a week or so you almost forget its there...

I just started to CC two months ago. The first time I went out it flet like I was being watched. I was paranoid and had my g/f keep checking to see if I was showing. What sucked about my first time was using the xd gear belt holster. Now with my comp-tac IWB holster I don't worry since the xd45 compact blends in so well witha loose fitting shirt.

Sure, the very first time I was just certain EVERYONE knew I had a gun, It must be printing or they could just tell my looking at me. Now, I'm completely comfortable and NOBODY has ever told me they knew I had a gun.

VIP Member
    I will echo most everybody's feelings: I was scared that I would be made, I hated the holster and kept using my elbow to check for the gun every 45 seconds. A couple of days later I felt confortable and never gave it a thought afterwards.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Truthfully, I fell right into it.
    This was kind of me, too.

My husband started carrying long before we even got married and so when I moved to Pennsylvania at the ripe old age of nineteen, I was constantly around someone who carried.

To be utterly honest, I didn't like that he carried. Not that I was afraid of the gun or anything like that, but he was a different person when he carried. He was relatively new to carry himself and he had all these strict rules and was very "stiff" about the whole thing. He was so much easier and happier to be around when he WASN'T totting a gun.

We got married one month after my twentieth birthday and that's when he asked me to consider getting my permit when I became old enough. I said I would consider it, and while I did, I was also worried that I would become this stiff, weird person as well.

Over the year spanning between my twentieth and twenty-first birthday, I saw him getting more used to it and relaxing a little bit. He also started carrying a second gun when we would go out together so that I would have one if WE needed it. We started preparing for situations we might get in together and discussing tactics to use as a team. I got my husband back and it increased my confidence that his "stiff" phase was just something we all go through.

Also, in that year I started searching for my perfect carry gun.

My twenty-first birthday was in the middle of March. In late March we went down to the Sheriff's Office and I applied for my permit. While waiting for my permit I bought my very first handgun: my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry.

In less than two weeks I got my permit to carry it.

That night, John took me out to Applebees and I was actually very comfortable. It felt right. Instead of John having to carry my gun for me, I got to carry it.

I did think, maybe, that some people could see me, but I was wearing a good holster and a good belt.

As a matter of fact, John took a picture of me getting ready that night, carrying for the first time....

And that was it. It's gotten better and better and more comfortable every day. And I don't think I went through the stiff, weird stage. It always just felt right.

For me it was like stepping onto a stage with a big spotlight and I didn't know my lines.

My first stop was Safeway for some groceries. I KNEW everyone could tell I was carrying.

Even though I was legal, I was tense and almost waiting for someone to scream and call the cops.

Now. . . . after lots of concealed and open carry, I know no one can tell. When I have open carried, I bet 90% of the people I passed didn't notice. So when carrying concealed, I guess the % goes up 100% except for other "packers" and LEO's who are looking for it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I was quite apprehensive at first. I carried my kahr P9 as a paperweight at first. No round in the chamber. Now I can't imagine not carrying it loaded and ready to go. It is different at first, but I feel more comfortable carrying than loaded than not.

Interesting responses. I'll probably be self conscious at first as well.

VIP Member

Your first day carrying concealed?

I bought a real nice looking vest, holster vest with a western look,
    then we went on a trip by car. I had a full size 1911 in the vest and when we made our first gas/food stop I was sure something was wrong and I was made. Everyone was staring and it never dawned on me at the time it was because we were driving a Crown Vic in a color similar to the state patrol and strangers in this small community.
    We've been to that pit stop several times and they still stare and I recognize some of them as being there the first time.

Well, the first time I left the house carrying concealed I decided to go to the store. As I went through the store, I always kept my back to the aisles, as I did not want anyone to possibly see what I had on me. I actually bumped into a neighbor who was an off-duty LEO, and noticed my "strange" behavior. He asked me if I had received my permit. After asking him why, he told me that I was walking around attracting attention, and looked as if I had something to conceal.

He told me a line that I will never forget. "In today's world, everyone wants to believe that nobody carries a gun to the store, or anywhere other than the gun range. Let them keep that thought. As long as people think that, even if you print a little, almost all people will not even recognize that you have a weapon, or that it is printing."

After that, I determmined to prove him wrong. I have worn jackets and shirts that rode up and even exposed most of the holster, and yet to date, the only people that have "made me" are fellow CHL permit holders.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I live in Ky and can legally carry loaded in the glovebox. I got my permit from the sheriffs office downtown, got in my car and put the gun in its holster on me. I came home, announced to the forum I was headed to Wallyworld and off I went. I felt totally comfortable and really didn't feel people knew I was carrying.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links