Your first day carrying concealed?

This is a discussion on Your first day carrying concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First time I carried was OC just after the incident that spurred me to it. I had seen plenty of people here in Arizona OC ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your first day carrying concealed?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    First time I carried was OC just after the incident that spurred me to it. I had seen plenty of people here in Arizona OC before and it never bothered me. The only problem I had initially was that I was paranoid people would try and grab for it. I practiced retention with friends for a week or so beforehand so I knew how to react. I got kinda jumpy with people touching me at all for awhile. hahaha Never had an issue, though. Just look like I wasn't one for conversation and kept my SA up.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Alarms

When I first started carrying, I had an AMT Backup 380 in an ankle holster. The only other gun I had at the time and an AMT Longslide 1911 that was hard to conceal. I really didnt worry about anyone seeing the ankle gun but when I went in the bathroom of an Italian Restaurant the family and I were eating at, I could hear a beeping alarm and I thought "Oh crap, I went through a metal detector or something".

I came out and was looking left and right for the cops or management to come and ask me to leave, but no one came. When I got back to the table, my wife kept looking at me funny for a few minutes then told me the alarm on my new watch was going off.

It wasnt so long ago for me at all, about 8 months. I, too, felt like my gun was printing so badly that the world knew I was carrying. It wasn't, I was careful to conceal my XD40 IWB. I felt very aware of the pistol for about two weeks. I was careful not to touch or adjust the pistol outside the house per the excellent advice on this and other sites. Now I am actually more aware of the fact that I don't have my gun on when I have to go without due to legal considerations. When the law permits, I am always armed now.

VIP Member
    It's been so long, I honestly don't recall the first time. I do remember thinking, like most, that people could see and it was just a matter of time before someone screeched about it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I felt like everyone could tell I was CCW with a Ruger Redhawk, 44 Mag, with a scope...(actually was a something a LOT smaller).

Actually, like some to the others, I first started carrying around the house. My wife thought I was nuts...but I did not let her mumblings derail my efforts.

When the permit arrived...back in 2001...my first time 'out' was in Naples, FL...
    The 'old' folks down there can't even see you when you're in a car...so I wasn't much concerned about someone spotting a gun. I was probably touching it (to make sure it was still there) too much, and EXTREMELY aware of that bump on my hip...I got over that pretty quickly.

I wish I had found this forum back then...if it was 'running' at that time!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like many others have said, I was very self-conscious about it, thought everybody would know, and touched, pulled at my cover garment way too much.

I was carrying a Walther P99 in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion.

That was 6 years ago, and being self-conscious quickly faded.

Best regards.

Comforting; it has only been a couple of weeks now and the two times I have had to go without it I have felt naked. Find myself in those time hoping nothing happens while out.

Mine was yesterday. I picked up my permit and then had some errands to do. Went to Boston market, the car dealership for an oil change and the bike shop. Only bending down to grab a bike tube made me worry about printing. Other then that i was surprisingly calm. No trip to WW yet. Maybe today.

i was used to carrying mine around the house before hand as well.

i have to admit i still haven't made the walmart trip. i didn't know that it was a tradition until i started reading these forums. where did that originate btw?

Assistant Administrator
    where did that originate btw?
    I am pretty sure we started it long ago - here! It was perhaps the archetypal ''first exposure'' where there are crowds and a need to not be adjusting etc ... ''baptism of fire'' maybe
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was a very junior police officer in the mid-70s.
    Felt perfectly at ease with it then.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    i was used to carrying mine around the house before hand as well.

i have to admit i still haven't made the walmart trip. i didn't know that it was a tradition until i started reading these forums. where did that originate btw?

I blame it on Chris, it's all his fault.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    I blame it on Chris, it's all his fault.
    Haha - I am the forum scapegoat

Of course Jack - purchases on THE important WW trip must include new socks and sandals of choice
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to worry about it a lot and felt like everybody was staring and knew I had a gun. After carrying for a while and in some cases printing badly (poor choice of cover shirt that day) and no one even noticed. Since then I'm even more convinced that most people are so wrapped up in their own little world and oblivious to the things going on around them, that I believe I could just about walk around with a Glock duct taped to my forehead and half the people you see wouldn't even notice.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Ahh, the first time...always the best!

"Amish country": Holmes County, OH..

All common reactions that have been mentiioned: paranoid that people knew I was carrying, touching the grip with my elbow waay too much altho trying to be conscious not to, adjusting my cover shirt waay too much altho trying consciously not to.

I worked hard to keep the situational awareness as sharp as possible and although I was only carrying a Bersa .380 in an Uncle Mikes' OWB holster, felt it was big enough that everybody knew.

The confidence of taking responsibility for your own protection and safety: PRICELESS!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links