Your first day carrying concealed?

This is a discussion on Your first day carrying concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will let you know soon. I got a phone call today that I had passed the background and that the permit was in the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your first day carrying concealed?

Waiting

I will let you know soon. I got a phone call today that I had passed the background and that the permit was in the mail

2. Remove Ads

I received my permit 10 minutes before my wife and I left to go to our cabin on July 3rd 2005. I got out my carry guns (yep two), loaded them up and carried them for 2 days and my wife never noticed.

I thought everyone else did but of course they did not.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

wj

First Time!!

I was carrying as a court officer for 14 years. With a badge, I was not really concerned about people knowing/seeing. After 12 years in a new profession, I applied and received my license. Like the rest of the responders, I was sure to be "busted" for something!! Now some 15 years later, I am always aware that the firearm is on my side, but realize I have never been "made" to my knowledge. As a side bar, I took off my spring jacket at Wal-Mart to do a blood pressure check, looked down and saw my firearm exposed big time. NO one saw or if they did, said nothing. The responsibility however, is always there BIG TIME.

I was completely sure that everyone could tell I had a gun on and was watching me intently.

I was nervous, I was self conscious and just a little scared about what might happen if someone did figure out I had a gun and called the police.
    My thoughts exactly...
    Does take a little time to get those thoughts out of your head..

It was over 11 years ago. I had just been hired by my first LE job (NYS Dept of Corrections). I picked up my little S&W 60 that I still have. I didn't know much about holsters, so I had it in an uncle mikes OWB that didn't conceal very well. It was winter time so I wasn't concerned about people noticing.

That same day I went out and bought a cheap Jaypee IWB holster that I carried it in for a couple of years.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It's been about 2 1/2 weeks ago...

I got my permit and a few days later the DeSantis tuckable I ordered off ebay came in. Off to WallyWorld.

I felt just like I did on my honeymoon when I checked into the hotel and signed the register as Mr. and Mrs. Mike _____ for the first time. I just KNEW I was going to get caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing.

I checked in the mirror a few times to make sure my M&P wasn't showing (tucked), and became very comfortable that there was NO WAY anyone could spot it.

Now, with the UnderCover holster shirt, there is zero possibility of anyone spotting me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

My first time carrying was in colder weather and I was able to conceal under a coat. No concerns about printing. I mostly concerned about seeing the individual who was the reason for getting my CCW. Thankfully, we never encounetered outside of court and he is now vacationing at the graybar motel compliments of the Virginia Department of Corrections.

I have since moved away for my job and still carry.

I don't know yet. I'm going to the Sheriff's office tomorrow morning to pick up my permit. Wally world a definite visit for sure. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon how it feels. My take on it. It's going to feel real good. Jerbear

I remember it well. I received my permit two days after concealed carry became legal in Texas (Thank you Gov. George W. Bush). I drove into Ft. Worth to the gun shop, and rewarded myself with a new Colt Commander, holster and belt. I never had the unconfortable feeling of carrying concealed because I had carried for quite a few years prior to it being "legal". Now, it's just a part of my go-to-town wardrobe - so natural that I cannot recall which one I wore while in town today.

Do you mean "legally" concealed, or the "other" type? Actually, never batted an eye for either of them. I concealed a 8" skinner for years, which three Urban young men almost got to see what I can do with a blade in person. Set your mind, the rest follows. Most folks don't worry what you are wearing, too busy with life.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

On a beautiful day in Colorful Colorado I made my inaugural trip to Wally World with the wife. Went carrying my Glock 23 in a OWB Ross Leather Yaqui M9S. I was having a little trouble deciding on using Yaqui, but got some good info from you folks.

You can see on the thread below.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=26018

Still felt a bit nervous knowing that I was armed and it did not help me that my wife was whispering to me the whole time I can so see your gun. Knowing that the only reason she could see it was because she was looking for it.

We made a complete lap around the store, Picked out my daughters first bicycle off the top rack with confidence that no one could see my weapon, and finished out my trip with new cover polo. Sorry guys, No nachos or Mc Ds for us, we were heading home for a BBQ.

All in all a good trip made it back to the car with success and felt more confident.

I want to thank everyone involved with the site. As a beginner it helped me be a better concealed weapon carrier.

OK. Is "Wally World" Wal-Mart? I just have to ask. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post
    OK. Is "Wally World" Wal-Mart? I just have to ask. :)
    Yes, and to pick up on another thread about NJ, I met a Wally World store manager from NJ last weekend who told me they not only don't sell guns there - they don't even sell ammo!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

New Jersey

If the United States where to get an enema, New Jersey would be the insertion point. From a politics and laws position. Not from a peoples position. The people of New Jersey (particularly from southern) are good people.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtruck2 View Post
    If the United States where to get an enema, New Jersey would be the insertion point. From a politics and laws position. Not from a peoples position. The people of New Jersey (particularly from southern) are good people.
    I know - it's my home state...but not in the last 30 years (and I'm even from the northern part!).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links