Travel to NV and CO

Travel to NV and CO

This is a discussion on Travel to NV and CO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I am going to NV and CO in august. Reciprocity doesnt work for me because I live in VT and NV has no reciprocity. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Member Array jhfox462's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    290

    Travel to NV and CO

    So, I am going to NV and CO in august. Reciprocity doesnt work for me because I live in VT and NV has no reciprocity. My question is, can an out of state person open carry in NV and CO?
    Thanks!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".


  2. #2
    Member Array ShadeAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    383
    You can open carry everywhere in Colorado except the city and county of Denver. And the other obvious places (National parks etc)

    However I would not do to so in most of the front range cities. Someone is going to call the cops and while legal, you are going to draw a lot of unwanted attention.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

  3. #3
    Member Array njeske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    So, I am going to NV and CO in august. Reciprocity doesnt work for me because I live in VT and NV has no reciprocity. My question is, can an out of state person open carry in NV and CO?
    Thanks!
    open carry in NV all you want. it's perfectly legal. just don't do it in North Las Vegas (not the same as Las Vegas) or in Boulder City. they have local ordinances that were grandfathered in when NV passed it's preemption law.

    NV will have reciprocity come October 1st though, so we'll all be keeping an eye out for the first list of a states that NV will honor.

  4. #4
    Member Array bobernet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    134
    A few things about NV... as njeske mentioned, Nevada is a traditional open carry state (meaning there are no specific ordinances protecting it, but there are no laws preventing it).

    If you're going to be in Clark County (Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, Laughlin, etc) and you're staying more than overnight, you need to register your handgun and get a "blue card." It takes about 10 minutes at any police station. Walk in, show them the unloaded gun and DL, they give you a blue card.

    The cities of North Las Vegas (you can tell by the blue street signs instead of green) and Boulder City have deadly weapon ordinances that prevent carrying/transporting loaded firearms.

    As of 10/1/2007, Nevada should have reciprocity with about 13 or 14 states, but VT doesn't have a chance. The law requires that the other state have training and certification requirements that are at least as stringent as Nevada's.

    If I read the new law correctly, 10/1/2007 should also get rid of the grandfathered ordinances in NLV and BC. The only one protected is Clark County's handgun registration garbage.

    If you travel to NV frequently, you can get a non-resident permit by taking the 1 day class and qualifying with your weapon. The cost for the class varies, and tends to be less in Southern Nevada ($60-$80). The actual permit fee is $45 for fingerprinting and $60 to the local sheriff's office.

    In Colorado, open carry is allowed everywhere except Denver and certain specific areas within various cities (government buildings, etc). In Colorado, any area that is off-limits for open carry must be posted as such, so it's relatively easy to stay on the right side of folks.

    I live in Southern Nevada and travel to Colorado Springs frequently to visit family there.

    Best,
    Bob

  5. #5
    Member Array bobernet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    134
    Last edited by bobernet; June 25th, 2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array MR D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    864
    yep, I love it here in Co. They are really friendly about open carry wherever I've been...

    (hanging out in Alamosa and San Luis for the summer.)


  7. #7
    Member Array jhfox462's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Guys. So, it is fine for out of staters to open carry? Just checking. I appreciate the information.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,614
    While legal, I strongly recommend against open carry in Las Vegas, unless you would enjoy a lunch of concrete and dirt. The police get awfully nervous with open carry, and I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be hassled by the police.

    If you apply for a nonresident NV permit, choose a smaller county, like Nye, rather than Clark (Vegas) or washoe (Reno). Those counties take a long time to process. You’ll get faster results in any other county. Pahrump. In Nye county is only 90 to 120 minutes from Vegas.

    The Gun Store (http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/ccw.htm) has a multistage course for $60, which would allow you to apply for Utah and Florida if you like. Those will give you around 30 some states that would allow you to carry concealed. Also, remember that you have to qualify with each gun you want to carry Check the store’s web site for details

  9. #9
    Member Array MountainPacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    You can open carry everywhere in Colorado except the city and county of Denver. And the other obvious places (National parks etc)

    However I would not do to so in most of the front range cities. Someone is going to call the cops and while legal, you are going to draw a lot of unwanted attention.
    You can't open carry in Aurora, CO now, either.

  10. #10
    Member Array ShadeAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    You can't open carry in Aurora, CO now, either.
    WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!!!.... dang

    Colorado is moving more and more anti-gun, ever so slowly, but it really starting to grate on me.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

  11. #11
    Member Array bobernet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    While legal, I strongly recommend against open carry in Las Vegas, unless you would enjoy a lunch of concrete and dirt. The police get awfully nervous with open carry, and I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be hassled by the police.
    Squawker,

    Are you LEO? I have heard the "lunch of concrete and dirt" or "have your face slammed into 140 degree hot asphalt" phrase exactly 4 times in the past few months. Every single time it was from an employee of LVMPD.

    I don't really want to get into the "tactical" advantages/disadvantages of open vs. concealed carry, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing people threatened for exercising their rights.

    The fact is that the first LEO who "slams your face in the asphalt" for nothing other than legally wearing a gun on your hip in a holster is probably going to lose his job. That is not considered probable cause that a crime has been committed or is imminent. The fact that legally carrying a gun is not sufficient probable cause has been established all over in both statute and case law.

    It astounds me the way that people who are otherwise staunch 2nd amendment supporters seem to suddenly tell people to tuck their tail and be afraid to exercise their rights when it comes to open carry. Would you caution people not to speak out against pornography in Vegas for fear that LEOs will slam them on the ground and "harass" them for exercising their first amendment rights? I would love for someone to show anywhere in history that "bear arms" is used primarily to mean "keep concealed upon your person."

    For the original poster, and others who are interested in what the real typical responses are to people open carrying, I'd suggest a visit to OpenCarry.org and a perusal of the talk forum for the state(s) in question.

    Best,
    Bob

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array DirtDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sunnyville
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    While legal, I strongly recommend against open carry in Las Vegas, unless you would enjoy a lunch of concrete and dirt. The police get awfully nervous with open carry, and I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be hassled by the police.

    If you apply for a nonresident NV permit, choose a smaller county, like Nye, rather than Clark (Vegas) or washoe (Reno). Those counties take a long time to process. You’ll get faster results in any other county. Pahrump. In Nye county is only 90 to 120 minutes from Vegas.

    The Gun Store (http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/ccw.htm) has a multistage course for $60, which would allow you to apply for Utah and Florida if you like. Those will give you around 30 some states that would allow you to carry concealed. Also, remember that you have to qualify with each gun you want to carry Check the store’s web site for details
    +1 for the Gun Store.

    Also remember that a non-resident CCW in NV is 3 yrs only and weapon specific. Found that out AFTER bringing only one gun to qualify. The wait at the CCW permit office is daunting-bring a good book.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

  13. #13
    Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,614
    No, not an LEO, but the instructor for my CCW clas was. He was pretty adimant that open carry in Vegas would get you hassled, if not taken to the ground. Whether we likem it or not, there are places where open carry is legal, but so unusual that someone will call in a man with a gun report to the police, or officers will see you and stop and question you. While the dirt and concrete lunch may be drastic, if the police are responding to a man with a gun call, it's certainly a strong likelyhood. At the very least, you'll be stopped so much that it just isn't worth it. Why tempt fate?
    I would reccomend taking the class, and getting a nonresident license.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
    Squawker,

    Are you LEO? I have heard the "lunch of concrete and dirt" or "have your face slammed into 140 degree hot asphalt" phrase exactly 4 times in the past few months. Every single time it was from an employee of LVMPD.

    I don't really want to get into the "tactical" advantages/disadvantages of open vs. concealed carry, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing people threatened for exercising their rights.

    The fact is that the first LEO who "slams your face in the asphalt" for nothing other than legally wearing a gun on your hip in a holster is probably going to lose his job. That is not considered probable cause that a crime has been committed or is imminent. The fact that legally carrying a gun is not sufficient probable cause has been established all over in both statute and case law.

    It astounds me the way that people who are otherwise staunch 2nd amendment supporters seem to suddenly tell people to tuck their tail and be afraid to exercise their rights when it comes to open carry. Would you caution people not to speak out against pornography in Vegas for fear that LEOs will slam them on the ground and "harass" them for exercising their first amendment rights? I would love for someone to show anywhere in history that "bear arms" is used primarily to mean "keep concealed upon your person."

    For the original poster, and others who are interested in what the real typical responses are to people open carrying, I'd suggest a visit to OpenCarry.org and a perusal of the talk forum for the state(s) in question.

    Best,
    Bob

  14. #14
    Member Array bobernet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    No, not an LEO, but the instructor for my CCW clas was. He was pretty adimant that open carry in Vegas would get you hassled, if not taken to the ground.... Why tempt fate? ...
    Yeah, you're probably right. The whole Bill of Rights thing is really overblown. I mean, why insist on your rights when it might just get you hassled. Blacks should sit at the back of the bus and us lowly citizens should just keep our heads down and hand over our "papers" when asked by the police. Insisting that they have probable cause for arrest, or that we get a trial by jury of our peers is just tempting fate.

    When the government tells us something, we should just remember that they know what's good for us. And we should be happy with the privileges they let us have.

    I'm sure that's the best way to go.

  15. #15
    Member Array jhfox462's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    290
    Hi Guys,
    I am only going for three days to carson city mainly and then mostly to rocky mountain national park for a day or two where I can't have loaded weapon anyways. I am not sure how much I would really like to open carry anywhere so maybe I will just leave my gun at home. I get nervous not being in VT with a gun. I don't trust other states like I do VT in not harrasing me.
    I was just wondering if it would be worth the effort. I hate not having a gun with me but at the same time I don't like people knowing that I am carrying either. Not sure how the relatives would look at me with a gun on my hip.
    I appreciate the responses!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Notes on air travel and travel to different states
    By cammo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 17th, 2010, 03:07 AM
  2. Nj travel
    By Roy McC in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
  3. NRA Travel
    By mrreynolds in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
  4. Going to travel through IL and OK
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
  5. How to travel with CC
    By wareagleky in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors