Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time

This is a discussion on Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found that at my age there isn't any place I have to go so if I can't drive there I don't go. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time

I have found that at my age there isn't any place I have to go so if I can't drive there I don't go. I know that some folks have to fly for different reasons and you have my sympathies.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

I'm glad everything worked out good for you. Even though I've yet to hear of a handgun going unaccounted for I'm leaning towards mailing my pistola if/when fly. I've gotten so many bags lost or misdirected I've lost faith in the airline's ability to maintain accountablity for my stuff.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    Does anybody know of a suitable, small lockable handgun case that's readily available and where it can be bought?
    Thanks
    I have an In-Car Safe that I am going to attach to the inside of my suitcase by putting an eyebolt through the frame of my suitcase. I figure this will make the gun a little harder to steal.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I have flown 15 maybe 20 times since I started carrying and I don't leave home with out it.

Now I have only flown with Southwest and I have never had a problem as long as I just let the airline people do what it is they think is right.

I use the black plastic case my Kimber came in with two master locks.

Some airline people want me to open the case and make sure the weapon is unloaded, some don't. Some make me rewrite the little card that I filled out before and some don't. I always have a full mag and a 20 round box in the case never have they questioned it.

TSA is the same way. In Austin they want to open the case, in Salt Lake they don't even want to open the suitcase they just run it through the x ray machine.

The only problem I ever had was once in Austin I had some blue snap caps in the bag and the TSA people got real concerned. They could care less about the real ammo but they were sure upset about the snap caps and they refused to let me take them until I politely asked for a supervisor.

Go with what the people that think they know what is right and things should be smooth.

I would not carry the rules printed out and try to make them see it your way because they will then get upset that you are telling them that you know more about their job than they do. (you may know their job better but they can make you late for your plane).
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    .........(you may know their job better but they can make you late for your plane).
    Good point

BTW. Do they put any kind of a sticker or other identifying tag on the outside of your suitcase identifying it as having a gun inside? I would hope not, since that would be a virtual invitation to steal the whole bag.

The only time I checked my guns they put two huge stickers (one on each side) that said "CAGPT" on my gun case. I don't know what CAGPT means, but I paid a few bucks extra for insurance so I wasn't worried about my guns disappearing.

Austin

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The only time I checked my guns they put two huge stickers (one on each side) that said "CAGPT" on my gun case. I don't know what CAGPT means, but I paid a few bucks extra for insurance so I wasn't worried about my guns disappearing.

Austin
    CAGPT:

Check And Give Protection To

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    They have not stickered my bag since January 2001 and that was a shotgun, in a gun case. That time I had to get it from special handling
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I have an In-Car Safe that I am going to attach to the inside of my suitcase by putting an eyebolt through the frame of my suitcase. I figure this will make the gun a little harder to steal.
    I bought what looks to be the same case at Cabela's under the "Secure-it" brand name. It was ~$30 - same as the one in the link.

I haven't flown with it yet, but the packaging said "TSA Approved". I have used it to lock up my guns while transiting across MD between PA and VA under the Federal "Peaceable Journey law".

I've used it in the trunk of a sedan or in the little storage area in the "way-back" of my SUV. In both cases, there was somewhere on the frame of the car nearby to lock the cable onto. I've also used it under the seat of the car if I have to enter someplace where I can't take a gun (like a Post Office). In fact, I bought a second one so I can just leave them in each car.

I can also loop the cable around the tubular extended handle frame on my roller suitcase (there's a zipper inside mine that allows access to the tubing). I'll do that next time I fly with it, but I've also left the gun locked that way in a hotel room when I couldn't carry it (e.g. staying in No. VA and going across the bridge into DC) and the hotel room didn't have a safe.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Smile No Problem

Well, I just finished my flight yesterday from Ft. Myers, FL to DFW.

In my softside suitcase, I had a S&W .357 revolver in a blue Colt factory case with a small brass padlock . I informed the agent at the American ticket counter that I had a weapon to declare in a checked bag. She was very nonchalant about it and produced a small white tag that I signed and filled in with the date and flight number, declaring that the weapon was unloaded in accordance with Federal Air Regulations.

She then asked to see that the gun was unloaded. I asked, "Right here?" She said, "Yes". So I opened my suitcase and the pistol case in front of everyone else and merely displayed the revolver to her. I didn't open the cylinder and she barely looked at it. I placed the tag inside the pistol case and relocked it.

No TSA rep was called, nor was I asked to contact them. The bag was checked as regular luggage and simply tossed on the bag belt behind the ticket counter along with everyone else's bags.

After my bag came out onto the bag belt at DFW I stepped over to a corner and checked to make sure that the weapon was still inside, which it was.

The only thing that bothered me about this whole thing was that my fellow passengers in Ft. Myers who happened to witness me producing the weapon for the ticket agent's inspection knew exactly what my bag looked like and what was inside.

In DFW, as in most airports these days, there was no one to check claim tickets against bag tags. Although I was carefully watching for my bag to come out on the carousel, it came out of a second chute that was farther away from where I was standing and I had to wait for about 1/2 revolution of the carousel in order to grab it. Thus, someone else might easily have picked it up.

I would think the theft rate of gun bagage would be very high!!! Surprized your gun arrived with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One time I flew with my CCW and the new lady miscoded my ticket to say I was carrying WITH my gun on board. Like I was secret service.

Before the flight they called me to the gate. Gate Agent "you are the one flying on the special ticket right?" Me "uhhhhhh" Her "you know wink wink hush hush SPECIAL TICKET" Me "uhhhhh" I am starting to think I am getting a free upgrade. LOL Her "you are flying with a GUN on you" Me shocked "yes in my CHECKED luggage"!!

Her ohhhhh they had you down as carrying it on the plane with you. The pilot wanted to meet you first before we boarded.

Pretty funny in that I was dressed VERY casual wearing cargo shorts, sandals and a Toby Keith T-Shirt that said "lets get drunk and be somebody" LOLOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links