Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time

This is a discussion on Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When the ticket agent looked in my locked case, she said "Is that the clip?" I said no, that is the slide and barrell, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time

Flew from Indy to Dallas with handgun for first time

When the ticket agent looked in my locked case, she said "Is that the clip?" I said no, that is the slide and barrell, the handgun is disassembled. She then said, "What is in the box?" I said that it was ammunition. She said, "That can't be in the case. You can put it somewhere else." So I just dropped it into my range bag that was also in the large suitcase that the hardsided case was in. Then she had me sign the card and put it in the hardsided case with the gun. I very politely told her that this was not how I understood things went, but she said this is the way "they" told her to do it. I locked everything back up, and she said she would call TSA. She said hang around here for about 5 minutes in case they want to talk to you, then you can go. So I hung around a while, then got on the plane, flew through Chigago to Dallas, no problems. It just seems there is a great lack of consistency between what the written procedures are and what actually happens.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

2. Remove Ads

Yes don't count on the airlines folks on knowing the rules or how to apply them. I will usually print out the TSA's & airline's rules and have a copy with me, in case there is a disagreement.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    TRUST ME.......most airline folks dont have a clue on how to deal with weapons and folks traveling with them. Sorry to say but its a fact.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    TRUST ME.......most airline folks dont have a clue on how to deal with weapons and folks traveling with them. Sorry to say but its a fact.
    Use of the word "most"...do you have first hand knowledge of "most"? Or is this just speculation? Be careful how you answer...because I do.

As for consistency...the 9/11 purpetrators knew what consistancy was...ever stop to think that being inconsistent can have it's advantageous.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by glockmav View Post
    It just seems there is a great lack of consistency between what the written procedures are and what actually happens.
    I will agree with that 100%. I have had the same experience. That is why I always print the TSA rules for flying with a gun in your checked baggage and have them with me so I can be completely sure I am doing it right and that they are too. No matter what "they" told them to do.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have daily first hand experience with ticket agents from every airline. So ya I can say "most" with confidence. If its not a lack of "knowledge" then their doing a pretty bad job of doing their job. The majority appear pleasant and even friendly, but it does not appear that they fully grast the "full" regulations (and that even spills over onto the TSA) governing weapons.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Airlines have their own rules, like one gun per customer or the ammunition has to be packed in a completely separate bag from the pistol. AirTran's site only says the pistol and ammunition have to be "packed separately" which I took to mean "separate from the pistol case, but still in the same luggage. When I got to the ticket counter, they told me the way the company means it is in a completely different bag, the shift manager came over and looked up their website and rules and said that's what "packed separately" means.
    The TSA regs are uniform but coporate policies are not. Of the two times so far I have checked a pistol, the second time the ticket agent called TSA and they sent a screener to come hand check the luggage the pistol is in so I could lock it up and they don't/shouldn't have to open the luggage again and definitiely don't have to open the pistol case for any reason. I think it was because that airport is kinda small and they're renovating and the TSA doesn't have screening out by the ticket counters. Every airport is different.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Use of the word "most"...do you have first hand knowledge of "most"? Or is this just speculation? Be careful how you answer...because I do.
    No care is needed. Any number of folks have such first-hand experience. Perhaps the wording should have been: "... most ticket agents I've dealt with ...." For those of us who have traveled with firearms, it's abundantly clear: most folks at the ticket counters don't apply whatever they've been trained in any sensibly consistent manner, despite whatever advantages there might be to some variation. (And, no, incompetent implementation or failure to follow even the basics of the procedures don't count as simple "variation.")
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No care is needed. Any number of folks have such first-hand experience. Perhaps the wording should have been: "... most ticket agents I've dealt with ...." For those of us who have traveled with firearms, it's abundantly clear: most folks at the ticket counters don't apply whatever they've been trained in any sensibly consistent manner, despite whatever advantages there might be to some variation. (And, no, incompetent implementation or failure to follow even the basics of the procedures don't count as simple "variation.")
    1) On a percentage bases and the thousands of travelers per day...the number of travelers with weapons is infintesimal, thus not routinely dealt with (can equate to one that doesn't shoot on a regular basis...muscle reflex).

2) As stated, many airlines have their own individual policies that amplify TSA rules...but one shoe not fit all...and is a good thing in this case. In addition to each airline, each airport may also have differing rules.

3) There are over 50+ airlines...many of them small outfits that employ 18-19 minimum wage earners. Larger and long standing major airlines have more established programs and employees. To use the word "most" is an opinion grounded on one's personal experiences. Mine have been different...albeit, it takes a moment to let the dust settle or a supervisor getting involved to keep things moving.

Rick

semantics

My experiences have been, if you fly through an area which is considered "anti or unfriendly" there will be more apprehension on the part of airline folks. A trip through San Francisco, Boston or O'Hare was different to ME than McCarren, SeaTac, DFW or SanAntonio.

I keep it cool, keep TSA regs AND my airline regs printed w/me. Sometimes customer service is directly related to how an agents day is going-don't need to add to that.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Might I suggest solving 'traveling with a weapon' problems in two ways. One has been mentioned, having a copy of the TSA rules printed out, secondly, ask for a supervisor if you sense difficulty with the person checking you in...many times someone higher up has a little more experience and common sense.

Additionally, have a copy of the 'specific' airlines info for firearms...

I have never had difficulty when traveling with firearms. The gun is in a locked case and the ammo is in a hard case inside the same piece of luggage...tags go on the inside only.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My experience while declaring my firearm, is that the ticket agent did not know the procedures for which I had to explain what they were suppose to do, now on the other hand the TSA folks knew exactly what they were doing once they received my bag ran it through the x-ray and told me they were placing a zip tie on my bag and once I arrived at my destination if the zip tie was removed to contact a TSA agent. Good experience.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Type of Locked Case?

Despite my apprehensions about theft, I'm going to have to transport a revolver on an airline soon.

From what I've read, the firearm has to be in a locked container. Does that mean that you have to have a hard-sided, locked handgun case which is then locked inside your checked suitcase? I thought checked luggage had to be left unlocked these days........

Does anybody know of a suitable, small lockable handgun case that's readily available and where it can be bought?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    From what I've read, the firearm has to be in a locked container. Does that mean that you have to have a hard-sided, locked handgun case which is then locked inside your checked suitcase? I thought checked luggage had to be left unlocked these days........
    That is exactly what it means. Luggage must be left unlocked so it can be searched. However, the TSA agent will open your locked gun case in front of you at the ticketing counter, then re-lock it , it therefore has already been checked and tagged as checked. If the bag is searched further they will find a tag stating that the locked case has been checked.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links