Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying... - Page 2

Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

This is a discussion on Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by purple88yj First off, they aren't "Rent-A-Cops" they are security. Secondly, you're right. I don't know how someone could carry as part of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    First off, they aren't "Rent-A-Cops" they are security.

Secondly, you're right. I don't know how someone could carry as part of a job and not know a little about the gun that they may have to depend upon. More than likely it is an issue gun and not a personal (I would hope that he knew more about a gun he bought).

Sounds to me like he is looking at the job as a paycheck, and the gun is just another accessory on his belt.
    Agreed; especially the first part. Just like Zundfolge mentions, there’s plenty of “cops” who don’t know their stuff, and I know a good many security officers that are awful damn good at what they do and take their jobs seriously. Not all of them do, but then again, not all policemen are “cream of the crop,” either.

That last part is the truth of the matter though, and is unfortunately evident in most jobs that involve carrying weapons. Shame.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Its up to the commanding general whether or not you are allowed to carry on post. I was thinking about getting his permission.(Or trying to)
    Really? Things have changed then because it was a federal law when I was in.

The law involving carrying a firearm or weapon onto federal property is specific and clear. Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in federal facilities, buildings, or Installations is illegal and is in violation of Section 930, Title 18, United States Code. Law Enforcement personnel, when entering federal facilities, buildings and/or installations must identify themselves prior to entry if armed. Military reserve personnel whose civilian profession require the carrying of a weapon, openly or concealed, are not authorized to carry or bring their duty weapon on a federal installation, into a federal building, or facility. Full time civilian police officers performing drill, annual training, or while in support of an operation, may not bring their duty weapon, open or concealed, onto a federal installation, into a federal building, or facility. Unless the carrying of a concealed weapon is in support of a federal mission, or so directed, weapons will not be brought onto a federal installation, into a federal building or facility.

I don't think a base commander can supercede a US Code

:shrug: I read it somewhere....

I will have to look into it.

Administrator

I'm sure what you read was in ref. to carrying while performing offical duties... such as MP, VIP driver or something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It may have been VA state code and if thts the case the the us code supercedes that.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    Wow... just Wow. Thats wrong on a couple of levels.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

eww
    We have the "security personell" here, they have Berettas.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    I'm not a "hammer guy" or a "screwdriver guy", but because using these items is part of my job, I at least know what kind I have...geez! Even the tools I rarely use, I have a working knowledge of.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

VIP Member
    Okay, well they may not be "cop" cops. We refer to them as "Rent-a-Cops".
    He is right, even in the age of sensitivity, that is standard Military jargon and was so in the seventies and probably before that.

Lead Moderator
    Sadly, many people, LEO included are not familiar with their weapon systems. Considering at least for LEO and CCW holders, the firearm IS their most important piece of Life Saving equipment.

To not respect or value your own life or the ability to end another person's life by not knowing the basics of the weapons you carry, to me shows a certain level of irresponsibility.

I'm not saying you need to know your weapon like a mechanical engineer, but understanding the basic nomenclature, operation, ability to field strip and properly maintain function and cleanliness IS ESSENTIAL.

When we teach defense and control tactics & ground fighting, we always tell officers, "We understand that a lot of what you learn is boring case law, statutes, policies and the like so it's easy to be distracted or even fall asleep... What you learn here Will Save Your LIFE, so you better pay attention in this class!"

Sadly there are those, who just do not see the importance of such things. They are too wrapped up in their own thing to put any effort into what should be important aspects of their jobs. Apathy is a contageous disease that can spread through a department and cost people their lives.

I place a large burdon on the shoulders of the "trainers!" If the trainers don't instill the sense of urgency and importance and make the effort to make the training interesting and dynamic, then there is little wonder why so many officers have a cavilier attitude towards their weapons.

It isn't easy. Most training divisions have one of the smallest budgets in a dept. Some departments don't even have a specific training division and most departments lack having the proper number of certified trainers among their ranks.

People who attend forums like this are extraordinary people who make the effort on their own initiative to learn as much as possible! I would venture to say that most people here do not have the funds; or have attended any of the recognized, specialized shooting schools, yet they feel they have the responsibility to seek out, on their own, as much information as possible on learning how to be a responsible ccw holder.

This forum and Bumpers crew does perform an essential service to all ccw holders and members who join us.

It is not easy trying to maintain the standards and professionalism that Bumper and his crew have achieved with DefensiveCarry.com and I applaude their efforts!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When I was working for the NYPD I met a female rookie that actually thought that the "WHOLE" round was fired from her "GAT". For those that may not know, that was a popular slang word for a gun in the 90's. Yes, she thought that the round, casing, basically everything that is loaded into the mag, went downrange.

Don't get offended ladies, this uninformed rookie just happened to be female and a thug (hence the use of the word "gat"). I met my fair share of dumb male cops over the years too.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I run the Privately Owned Weapons 2 or 3 time a month on Ft. Riley. The security force, AKA Rent a Cop, comes to the range to practice and qualify when we have it open since we are the only game around. 75% of the people that come there know what they are doing, what they are shooting, how to do it. 15% of them have a little knowlege of the gun they are hanging on their sides, and 10% of them I wouldn't trust with a straw and peas. They come out there with the attitude they are rulers of the universe because they carry a gun. Try to tell us how to run a range, try to shoot 50 yards first time out, you know the type. Some bring the wrong ammo, some leave their mags at home. If you don't have the gun registered on post, it is not to be brought on post. A lot of them come out there without registration papers. They must provide their own guns, so therefore must be registered just like mine. They are not all idiots, just the usual 10% you find with any group of people.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

When I was working uniform we'd get questions all the time from some half-wit who would walk up and ask what kind of gun we carried. When you'd tell them they'd go off on some rant about how this kind of gun is better or if they were a cop they'd carry something different. It got old listening to some knucklehead who got their entire gun knowledge from some grocery store gun rag and TV and didn't know beans from applebutter what they were talking about. So most of us got to the place where we would answer we didn't know or we'd make up some fantastic tale about some non-existent caliber and gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    When I was working uniform we'd get questions all the time from some half-wit who would walk up and ask what kind of gun we carried. When you'd tell them they'd go off on some rant about how this kind of gun is better or if they were a cop they'd carry something different. It got old listening to some knucklehead who got their entire gun knowledge from some grocery store gun rag and TV and didn't know beans from applebutter what they were talking about. So most of us got to the place where we would answer we didn't know or we'd make up some fantastic tale about some non-existent caliber and gun.

Thats exactly what I was getting at, but went with the vague route.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links