Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

This is a discussion on Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kavity Okay, well they may not be "cop" cops. We refer to them as "Rent-a-Cops". I live near Ft. Belvior, VA and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Okay, well they may not be "cop" cops. We refer to them as "Rent-a-Cops".

I live near Ft. Belvior, VA and frequently drive onto post(I'm an army brat). At this post and many others the gov't contracts gate security out to these rent-a-cops. Since I started the whole process of getting my CHP and begining to carry I have started to pay more attention to the guns that people carry.

I saw a Glock-17 in the rent-a-cops holster. As he was checking my ID and stickers I tried to make conversation with him by asking "Is that a Glock-17?" He had a puzzled look on his face so I clarified "is your sidearm a glock-17?"

He paused...

He said, "No, its just a 9mm."

I said "Oh" I didn't want to argue with him and I didn't have the time to end his ignorance because there were vehicles behind me but I was amazed.

How can you carry a firearm EVERYDAY and not know what kind it is???

Thats like driving your car and only knowing that its a 4 cylinder. "Is that a Honda Civic?" "No its a 4 cylinder".
    That is funny but sadly I have known real sworn cops who were the same way.

When we lived in Mobile Alabama, I was friends with several of the cities police officers, one of whom was the department armorer. He told me stories that just made me shake my head in disbelief including one cop who brought his whole duty belt in because he could not get his gun out of the holster. He had spilled a vanilla milk shake on it, a full milk shake on it, over a week prior to that time! It was "glued" into the holster by the dried shake!

I have always thought that being a police officer and not being a gun guy was akin to being an airline pilot and not liking air planes. Just seems odd.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I was at the local indoor several years back, and was being watched by three young men as I shot my Commander. Afterwards, we got to visiting, and they asked if it is normal for your gun to jam frequently. They all had Berretta 92's, so I offered to have a look. All three were filthy to say the least. Class was in session as we went through basic cleaning 101 and re-assembly. As we were chatting, they told me they were getting ready to go full time on duty with one of the local PD's. I immediately handed them back their guns, and advised they immediately see their department armorer. I was hoping A) they had one, and B) he could iron them out. These were nice, courteous young men, who just had never been shown or versed in those things. I did leave them with one bit of advice. Those may very well save your life one day, and they have to be 100% reliable. I hope they learned that lesson.
    Also, 70% of the people I know who own guns could not tell you crap about that gun or any others that exist, as well as their rifles.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

The funny thing is from what I know those guys make a good bit of money doing what they do. Atleast the ones I've talked to on the post I used to live on. But most of them were prior service, and you better believe they knew what they were carrying and how to use it. There is a different company that provides security on the Air Force base and from the looks of some of these guys I would have to wager that they are much like the type you mentioned.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I talked to an officer one day while standing in line waiting for food. I asked him what Glock he had, and he said "I don't know, its a department issue, but I know it's a .40 caliber." Right then I knew it was a Glock 22. It amazes me that officers don't even know what they carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    I am still wondering why people find this so amazing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It gives some people an opportunity to publicly ridicule those in positions of authority, a state of affairs as old as mankind itself.

There were probably discussions in Roman Britain amongst the Celts that some of the Romans held their spears upside down.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It gives some people an opportunity to publicly ridicule those in positions of authority, a state of affairs as old as mankind itself.

There were probably discussions in Roman Britain amongst the Celts that some of the Romans held their spears upside down.
    Ah OK, I get it now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    All kidding aside, almost all of us here are gun people and it is foreign to us that someone would be clueless about a gun they carry that might one day save their life. If we were in a car forum, and he had asked the officer what his patrol car was, and the reply was "a Ford something or other", the collective response would be the same; we'd think the guy was an imbecile.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I've known several LEO's that do not discuss their firearms with the general public. One time when I was in the hospital there was an inmate in for treatment. (i was in rehab for my motorcycle accident so I had lots of free time) I struck up a conversation with one of the guards and asked him how he liked his P89d(ecock only) for his carry weapon. He got wide eyed and looked very confused that a 20year old kid in a wheelchair knew what he was talking about. He then said it was "Company" policy that they didn't discuss weapons with the publik.

And remember that you don't have to know all the details, or be a gun guy to be competent with what you do. A race car driver need not know every spec on his car to know how to drive properly/competatively. He has to know how to handle it.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I find it amazing mainly because the gun is an important tool in the life saving equipment that a police officer carries every day. To not know it inside out is just beyond comprehension.

A firefighter knows his life saving equipment and it isn't even supposed to be there to save HIS life but the lives of others. So why wouldn't a cop know all there is to know about his gun?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    And remember that you don't have to know all the details, or be a gun guy to be competent with what you do. A race car driver need not know every spec on his car to know how to drive properly/competatively. He has to know how to handle it.
    However one that IS intimately familiar with the workings can tell exactly what is wrong and that alows him to be faster and more consistent.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

His goal is to do his job, keep traffic moving, and go home- not to make small talk.
    Actually sir, his job is to make small talk. I'm a READY troop here at Luke AFB, basically that means a couple months of the year I get to go play Security Forces. I've been posted to the gates a few times and one of the things they stressed during training was to talk to people. If someone is messed up in the head it might be your small talk that keeps them off base and keeps them from hurting someone/destroying something.

Actually, let me rephrase that now, it might be the small talk that alerts you to something being wrong with them allowing you to raise the alert. stop them, whatever.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have met RCMP, Vancouver City police and Sheriffs (Only works at the courts) who did not know what was on their hips. Truly amazing

RCMP & sheriffs = S&W 5946

Vancouver Police Berretta 92 being replaced with a Sig 229 or 226

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Actually sir, his job is to make small talk. I'm a READY troop here at Luke AFB, basically that means a couple months of the year I get to go play Security Forces. I've been posted to the gates a few times and one of the things they stressed during training was to talk to people. If someone is messed up in the head it might be your small talk that keeps them off base and keeps them from hurting someone/destroying something.

Actually, let me rephrase that now, it might be the small talk that alerts you to something being wrong with them allowing you to raise the alert. stop them, whatever.

I am glad that at least one LEO/Security officer got it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

That's OK, b/c my ex-girlfriends dad was a LEO. When he retired they gave him a display that had his insignia's, awards, and his Sig Sauer. When they presented it to him, they told him that they actually had to send the gun away to a Sig armourer b/c when they went to mount it, it looked like it had never been cleaned. They tried getting the caked on dirt and scum off and couldn't. And in fact it he never had cleaned it since he had it, maybe 6-7 years?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links