Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

This is a discussion on Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by A1C Lickey Actually sir, his job is to make small talk. I'm a READY troop here at Luke AFB, basically that means ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cops that don't even know what sidearm they are carrying...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Actually sir, his job is to make small talk. I'm a READY troop here at Luke AFB, basically that means a couple months of the year I get to go play Security Forces. I've been posted to the gates a few times and one of the things they stressed during training was to talk to people. If someone is messed up in the head it might be your small talk that keeps them off base and keeps them from hurting someone/destroying something.

Actually, let me rephrase that now, it might be the small talk that alerts you to something being wrong with them allowing you to raise the alert. stop them, whatever.
    OK, you do have a good point, but my other three or four remain intact.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I am not ridiculing LEO's because they are in a position of authority. I was just stating that it amazes me that you carry a firearm--something that could save your life and take your life (or the life of someone else) and you don't even know what kind it is??

It seems to me that there should be some level of ineptitude that is unacceptable for ANYONE that carries a gun. Not knowing what kind of gun you carry ranks high on that list imo. I'd argue that you cannot be properly trained and 100% competent with your firearm if you can't even tell me what kind it is. Would you feel comfortable with a doctor that didn't know what kind of medicine he was about to inject you with??

Anyone that carries a gun should have a detailed understanding of their gun. I am not saying that they have to be an armorer or an engineer but if you are going to carry a gun then you need to understand what kind of gun it is, what rounds its fires, how it operates, how to strip it, how to clean it, and how to shoot it.

I also expect a higher level of responsibility from LEO's than an average joe citizen. Why? Because you ARE in a position of authority and you are charged with protecting and serving your community. How can you effectively do your job if you don't have a detailed understand of one of the greatest tools on your belt?

Also, the fact that it amazes so many people should tell you something. People believe that LEO's are highly trained (especially with their firearms) and trust them with their lives because of it.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    To Be honest thats not unheard of and I'm not supprised. I have a friend whos an instructor for one of those companies. He also performs the duty of being the guy in charge when there out their. He says he doesn't even let them touch the gun. When they come to check out a gun he has them get in a line, he racks the slide, says lift up your arm, he un-snaps there holster and puts it in the holster FOR them. He says to them, "anything happens come get ME, anything you think is about to happen call me first, take your gun out only to safe your own life. He does something to their holster that lets him know if the holster has been unsnapped, and if it has he askes them why have you unsnapped your holster. So I wouldn't doubt they might not know what they have on their hip.

Heck I've ran into real cops who don't know what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Okay, well they may not be "cop" cops. We refer to them as "Rent-a-Cops".

I live near Ft. Belvior, VA and frequently drive onto post(I'm an army brat). At this post and many others the gov't contracts gate security out to these rent-a-cops. Since I started the whole process of getting my CHP and begining to carry I have started to pay more attention to the guns that people carry.

I saw a Glock-17 in the rent-a-cops holster. As he was checking my ID and stickers I tried to make conversation with him by asking "Is that a Glock-17?" He had a puzzled look on his face so I clarified "is your sidearm a glock-17?"

He paused...

He said, "No, its just a 9mm."

I said "Oh" I didn't want to argue with him and I didn't have the time to end his ignorance because there were vehicles behind me but I was amazed.

How can you carry a firearm EVERYDAY and not know what kind it is???

Thats like driving your car and only knowing that its a 4 cylinder. "Is that a Honda Civic?" "No its a 4 cylinder".
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Game Wardens are just as bad.

I have been checked in dove fields and while duck hunting(to make sure the plug was in limiting the shotgun to 3 shots) with a friend, and after I told the officer how to check my Browning Gold I then had to show him where the slide release was on my friend's Winchester 1300. You would think that if it is your job to check these things, then you would have basic knowledge of firearms.

After reading stories about traffic stops while carrying, it worries me that someone else (who might not know much about pistols/revolvers) could "secure" the handgun during the stop.
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    While I can understand that they won't know how all firearms function, they should be very familiar with their own. I know an officer will likely spend 75% of the time doing reports, etc and some have little time or encouragement from their management to maintain firearm proficiency. However as a professional they have a duty to themselves, their force, their comrades, the public and their families to maintain a certain level of training, even if it means going to the range on their own time and nickel.

Administrator
    I know lots of people who know every make and model, every piece of gun related trivia out their, and few are even an excellent shot on the range- most of them couldnt fight their way out of a paper bag gun or no gun. Then again, I know people who couldnt tell a 9mm from a .45 and are the best back up you can ask for.

Go figure, people have different interests and tastes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So are you saying that you believe its perfectly acceptable and O.K. for a LEO to be ignorant of his/her firearm?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    So are you saying that you believe its perfectly acceptable and O.K. for a LEO to be ignorant of his/her firearm?
    No, but I am saying that it happens. I'm saying that knowing the model or any piece of trivia about your pistol is a very tiny portion of an LEO's job. I've also offered other rational explanations of what might have happened.
    I also explained that many LEO's dont like to talk guns with any tool that comes up and wants to talk guns...
    This guy may have been ignorant, I dont know. I'm just trying to offer real world experiance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I can't conceive a police officer not knowing the firearm he carries.

I carry a Sig 229 .40 cal, one of the best you can carry. Some officers may dust the conversation off because their tired of being asked "what kind of gun do you carry". I've been asked several times but I don't mind answering.

1943 - 2009
    This is not a new phenomenon by any means. Cops have been divided into "gun-guys" and "non gun-guys", since, well, forever.

On my old dep't in the 70s, the non-gun guys carried their issued M10s in the issued open top holster, with the issued RNL ammo. They rarely carried off duty and only shot the twice yearly quals. These guys would often just toss their Sam Browne belt, gun and all, into their lockers at end of shift. And they hardly ever made a traffic stop or an arrest. Back-up? Don't count on 'em.

The gun-guys carried their M19s and Pythons in breakfront holsters, carried Magnum loads and speedloaders, and carried BUGs. The almost universal off duty gun of choice was the 2.5 inch M19. We shot frequently (yes, I was one of the gun-guys) and we even shot the 7 yard stage of the PPC with Magnum ammo.

It's probably the same way today, except they carry autos now.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    It's probably the same way today, except they carry autos now.
    Yeah, its still pretty much the same.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know lots of people who know every make and model, every piece of gun related trivia out their, and few are even an excellent shot on the range- most of them couldnt fight their way out of a paper bag gun or no gun. Then again, I know people who couldnt tell a 9mm from a .45 and are the best back up you can ask for.

Go figure, people have different interests and tastes.
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. Modern semi-auto handguns have various different controls and levers. If someone is so incompetent that they don't know what kind of gun they're carrying, how can they be expected to operate it properly? There's more to it than pointing and pulling the trigger.

Personally, I wouldn't feel confident if I had to grab a Sig and shoot it, and then reload it, because I've never handled one of those, and I'm used to my single-action XD which doesn't have the same lever arrangement. You actually trust someone like this to be in a firefight, where they have to hit the BGs and not the bystanders, and then be able to reload quickly without shooting themselves in the foot?

It's the same with cars. If a cop is so stupid he doesn't know what kind of car he's driving, how can he turn on the wipers or headlights? What if he's assigned a different vehicle that day? The controls are different in every car.

Would you want a soldier that didn't know how to operate, field-strip, and clean his or her M-16? Hell no. It's the same with police.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense...
    It makes perfect sense in the context that we are talking about.
    We are not talking about using a bunch of different types of weapons, we are talking about one. We are also not talking about using the weapon, we are talking about knowing what amounts to trivia. The entire point of my post that you quoted was pointing out that an officer may not know what model the gun is, what finish is on it or whatever the quiz of the day is, that doesnt mean he doesnt know how to use it.
    I have found that the know it all Tackleberry's I've trained are horrible on the range, when the know nothing guys tend to be better shooters. But what do I know?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't agree that knowing YOUR GUN is "trivia".

If you go to one of the car forums the motorheads over there can't understand why cops don't know what speed rated tires they have on the squads, what type of oil is used, or what rear end gearing is in the squad. Just because the cop doesn't know what tires are on the squad doesn't mean he doesn't know how to drive it.
    Some of you are just fixated on the gun because that's your interest. Not knowing the exact grain weight or whether the finish is blued or tennifer doesn't matter at all as long as the guy knows how to use it. No different than the motorhead who doesn't understand it really doesn't matter what speed rated tires. Same as the computer geek who doesn't understand why the cop doesn't know what computer is in the squad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links