What motivates women?

What motivates women?

This is a discussion on What motivates women? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know. "If I knew that, I'd be rich." Specifically, what motivates women to train and carry? Do you know a woman who carries, or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What motivates women?

I know. "If I knew that, I'd be rich." Specifically, what motivates women to train and carry? Do you know a woman who carries, or are you one? What reasons are you aware of that get women to go to the effort?

Thanks.

SSKC

I've known many women to get motivated in a hurry (i.e. instantaneously) after experiencing a burglary, robbery, mugging, or rape. This tends to concentrate the mind wonderfully... but it's a lousy way to start!

VIP Member
    I'll give you what I know from teaching CHP classes and askinng people why they are pursuing getting a CHP.

Most of the women in my CHP classes are separated, going through a divorce or are divorced. Their ex or soon to be ex is what motivates a lot of them. A few take the class and get the permit at the urging of their significant other. As mentioned by preacherman, some have been the victim or near victm of a violent crime. Others have had a close friend who was a vicitim of a violent crime. A few are like a lot of us and just believe in self-defense, but they are the minority of the women attending my classes.

-Scott-

Most of the women or couples I have instructed here in South Florida have been as a result of some criminal trauma. The attitude being "NEVER AGAIN will I be a victim!"

A very good friend of mine, a female, used to be the President of our gun club until she married the President of another club and the two clubs merged. SHE carries a Glock M21 45ACP and she is a member of Congressional staff, locally. She's also a three time GUNSITE graduate, including a shotgun course. She is very smart and VERY GOOD. I think that she too, has been traumatized somehow in her distant past. She is an EXCELLENT NRA certifed Firearms instructor AND an IDPA Safety Officer. After Hurricane Andrew she led all of the clubs instructors down into the disaster zone to give free gun safety lessons to the victims living with nightly intruders of the LOOTER kind. She also had a "close encounter" with a group of looters during that time. She told me it was the closest she ever got to pulling the trigger on a person. She had help, in the form of her brother himself a GUNSITE grad of the basic handgun course AND the Class III sub-gun course. A group of BGs thought the only person at the isolated home was the elderly grandmother. Imagine their surprise when out rolled SHE with her Benelli Super 90 and her brother with his Glock! Anyway, this lady carries all the time that it's legal for her to do so, unfortunately not in DC when she goes with her boss.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Out here, it's a mixture of personal protection and 'because I can'.

My old lady realized that there were bad people in the world and some of them might come in contact with her. After showing the sex offender registry, she started carrying regularly. The sex offender registry, IMO, is the single best motivator for women to show them graphically just how many bad people are nearby even in a 'good' town.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member
    I've been around guns my entire life. I hunted small game and shot clays and paper targets. Training and carrying for self-defense was just another step.

When our family moved to TN in 1991, dad naturally had to find new employment. He found it by buying half a partnership in a hardware store. The surviving partner told my dad that the other partner was murdered a couple months before we moved to town. He was murdered in the basement of the store, after he was supposedly called to open the store in the middle of a Sunday for some hardware a customer desperately needed. The murder is still unsolved.

I can tell you how unsettling it is to have a pack of men stare me down like I'm a menu item.

I'm around 105 lbs. soaking wet and I've had spinal fusion. My gender and size puts me at a serious disadvantage against a man.

I don't believe this is a bad world we live in; I think this is a good world with bad people living in it. I watched the news, read the newspaper, heard about what happened to friends, relatives and neighbors, and knew that horrifying things can happen. While many people could turn their heads and blissfully say, "Well, it won't happen to me," or "you're just paranoid," I realized that there's no one truly looking out for No. 1 but me.

I bought my first handgun on my 21st birthday and followed it up with my carry permit class.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    My experience teaching courses is similar to what has been described already. Some ladies were simply spouses who had hubby along as well - but others were single, separated, divorced etc. The protection aspect comes over quite strong.

I encouraged my wife to get her CCW a long time ago - but never felt I wanted to force her into it. Bit by bit I encouraged her to go for it - knowing from earlier range time - she is well competent. She got hers early this year - does not carry all time - not as much as I would like in truth but - it's a start. More range time is soon to be - after which I hope that the extra practice will make her (even) more comfortable to carry.

Other thing too of course - the simple fact that if I left truck and her in possession of my piece - rare I admit - she is at least now legal so to do.

I actively encourage women to carry - whenever I can - of course providing they have a suitable common sense mind set and are prepared to gain adequate competence with a piece. This applies tho to all potential carriers really - not just the ladies.

I'd not be happy to encourage a self-confessed road-rager to carry - until mind set ''adjusted''!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I'm around 105 lbs., like I'm a menu item
    To prepare for riding season, I've been strengthening my back, shoulders and tri's. I now weigh in at 272 pounds. To maintain this, I've been cramming in the meat protein--possibly 106 pounds of Perkin's sausage links for breakfast.

I like you, girl, but in this context, you are a menu item.

(Yikes. I now weigh more than my wife and I combined when we started dating.)

Assistant Administrator
    Tourist - hey - steady on those sausage links ya hear!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    ...I don't believe this is a bad world we live in; I think this is a good world with bad people living in it...

I use to believe that... After 0200, I'd say it's a bad world because of bad people in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    ...I don't believe this is a bad world we live in; I think this is a good world with bad people living in it...

I use to believe that... After 0200, I'd say it's a bad world because of bad people in it.

My female friend that carries does so because she finally saw enough to believe this also.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    When I'm down, the world sucks. When I'm up, I'm surprised by the great beauty and the sacrifices of great people. I think these elements are always there, making their presence known or felt by our state of mind.

The first time I felt a great unbearable national pall was during the days surrounding the Kennedy assassination. I was about 13 years old, and this was my first taste of total all-inclusive evil, while feeling endlessly discouraged. I still remember the beating of the procession drums.

But this also was a world where I graduated college, rode my first Harley, met, wooed and married my wife, encountered life-long friends and unlocked the meaning of a life well lived. "From the ashes we shall build a better day."

My mood shifts like the tides, but this tapestry is what makes the life worth living. Sometimes I just look into my puppy's eyes, and share in that moment of innocence and love. In the final analysis, the world is the just the level I choose to acknowledge.

Good points Tourist, maybe it's me being cynical, but I would argue that the "levels" of choice are lower in scale these days.

my wife carries because she has a psycopathic ex husband. he used to beat her all the time. he was just in jail for beating his 80 year old mother. she was kinda surprised when i started teaching her to defend herself. i told her there's nothing wrong with defending yourself, but it's taken awhile for her to accept that. now that she has i'm kinda scared of her sometimes

The common theme

It seems, from the replies to this thread, that the vast majority of women who carry do so because they, or someone they know, have been threatened with or actually experienced some form of violence.

Has anyone here been able to pro-actively convince their wife or girlfriend to carry without them having had a "negative life experience" to provide incentive? If so, how did you approach it?

Thanks.

SSKC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links