Lost some business due to Carrying

This is a discussion on Lost some business due to Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jackofspades What part of "it's my worksite....." same logic.. what deems it OK for you to assume that just because the repair ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Lost some business due to Carrying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    What part of "it's my worksite....." same logic.. what deems it OK for you to assume that just because the repair man has a gun, you have the right to demand that he prove he is legally carrying, but you don't have to prove the same to him? He has just as much reason to be worried that you're armed and going to kill him, as you have to be worried that he's armed and going to kill you.

If I were a repairman in your house, and you demanded I show you documentation of something completely unrelated to my credentials/insurance/etc related to the job, you'd be looking for a new repairman.

I guess I'm just not understanding your hypocrisy about being (presumably) a Pro-2A, Pro-Gun, Pro-Carry person who (again, presumably) wants to see the have a better acceptance of people carrying guns and not get panic/scared/worried that just because there is a gun, that it's a)illegal and b)carried by someone who wants to kill them. And yet, enforce that exact same mindset about someone who you have hired (and presumably, done some research on) to come into your house and do a job.

Are you saying that you'd be ok with random person X coming up to you on the street and demanding to see your carry permit?
    I think there is a huge difference in "on the street" and in a private residence. I don't have to have a permit to have a gun in MY house, but I do have to have a permit to go into someone else's house or on the street.
    I too am very "touchy" about what goes on on MY property. If someone does'nt like it, they can leave, just the same as if someone comes to work on my appliance and is carrying a gun and I ask to see a permit, if they don't like it, they can leave. I work in homes everyday and if someone asked for my permit because I got made, I'd gladly show it to them, no problem.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I think there is a huge difference in "on the street" and in a private residence. I don't have to have a permit to have a gun in MY house, but I do have to have a permit to go into someone else's house or on the street.
    I too am very "touchy" about what goes on on MY property. If someone does'nt like it, they can leave, just the same as if someone comes to work on my appliance and is carrying a gun and I ask to see a permit, if they don't like it, they can leave. I work in homes everyday and if someone asked for my permit because I got made, I'd gladly show it to them, no problem.

My point is, why does the repairman have to prove to the homeowner that the repairman is a "good guy" just because he has a gun? And why do none of the homeowners who would demand a permit, feel the same need to assure the repairman that they too are a 'good guy'. The repairman has just as much a right ("... shall not be infringed.") as you do, to defend himself.

I said it in earlier posts, and I'll repeat myself again. We of all people should not be the ones jumping to the conclusion that a repairman with a gun is a threat, simply because of the gun. If the homeowner didn't consider the repairman a threat 10 seconds before spotting the gun, how does the addition of the gun make him a threat?

I just think its a very hypocritical of pro-gun, pro-carry, pro-2a people to automatically assume there is a threat, because of a gun.

I thought about it some more...

spades brings up a good point. I was playing more of a devil's advocate role earlier. While I still feel as though its well within the homeowners rights to ask to see a permit, it is hypocritical of pro-2a, cc, ect people to demand such things.

I would probably ask them what kinda gun they have (just to let them know that I know) and strike up a conversation and maybe casually ask them if they have a permit.

I would hate to be labeled a "bad guy" just because I had my gun on. "Guilty until proven innocent".

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I don't blame the OP for carrying....going into peoples house can be a scary thing, especially basements, etc....remember pulp fiction? LOL seriously, you never know.
    Very funny you say this. Some years ago I went into an attic to do some ductwork in this gay guys home (strictly an adjective, no offense intended). It was an unfinished attic absolutly bare, except a little curtained area with a light. Turn on the light and smack in the middle is a locked chest, just like the one on pulp fiction. I went to "go get some materials." Came back with a my brother I hired to help me finish the one-man job. I wasn't going back there alone! True story!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

so many forks in this road that there really is no definite conclusion. you can be up front before entering and seem to "pro". you can leave it in the truck and play it safe. i myself? just conceal really well and if dug out and found... well, you had bad experiences with hostile dogs and it's for your protection. i think your just fine with going about the way you are... keep carrying... don't let this closet case determine your level of protection.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    My point is, why does the repairman have to prove to the homeowner that the repairman is a "good guy" just because he has a gun? And why do none of the homeowners who would demand a permit, feel the same need to assure the repairman that they too are a 'good guy'. The repairman has just as much a right ("... shall not be infringed.") as you do, to defend himself.

I said it in earlier posts, and I'll repeat myself again. We of all people should not be the ones jumping to the conclusion that a repairman with a gun is a threat, simply because of the gun. If the homeowner didn't consider the repairman a threat 10 seconds before spotting the gun, how does the addition of the gun make him a threat?

I just think its a very hypocritical of pro-gun, pro-carry, pro-2a people to automatically assume there is a threat, because of a gun.
    I absolutely see your point. It does work both ways. I wouldn't have a problem showing my permit if I was made in someones house. I'm sure if I noticed a guy printing in my house , I'd be ok with it and would likely just ask what he was carrying. Like someone posted earlier, I'm going to be armed anyway if someone comes to my house I don't know and I'm going to keep my eye on them.
    But....... I do believe I have the right to ask anyone that comes in my house carrying, if they have a permit. Raher I would or not may depend on the situation. But I dont have to have apermit to carry in my house, thats the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    The wife lost her job a couple months ago and my 2nd job is winter only, so needless to say we've been a bit strapped for cash. Thank goodness for my 3rd job, which is actually my part time heating and cooling business. That too has been a bit slow but just when I really needed it, I get a call from the friend of a friend of an old customer. He has no A/C. So after work I drive 45 minutes from Downtown Detroit, ready to do a good job and score a few bucks.

In short order I've got the furnace open and I'm leaning and reaching and apparantly printing pretty good while I'm this contorted. "Are you wearing a gun?" He asks. "Oh, yes" I reply matter of factly, "I didn't realize it was showing."

This is where he asks: "why would you bring a gun into my home?" Oh boy, I'm thinking. I try to be non-chalant and just mention that I carry it everywhere it's legal to, and that I have a license to. Doesn't matter. He gets pretty worked up pretty quick, and doesn't seem to care anymore that it's 90-something degrees in his house. Here is the odd reaction: for someone that must've felt threatened by the mere presence of a gun, he sure was beliggerant to the guy carrying it. I asked if it was important enough to him that he would rather I leave than fix his air conditioner. He didn't really answer that, just mumbling about the number of people killed every year by guns, how even an ATF agent shot himself, and if this "pro" could screw up, it was very likely that my gun would jump out of its holster and take out his whole family.

I didn't really need an answer, but when I started packing my tools, he stopped talking and looked at me funny, as if to ask where I thought I was going. I just said: "I think you'd be more comfortable with someone else here." Then I left. I really wanted to get mouthy back. Rub in that he'd be waiting for some time and paying much more for a regular full time company to come out. But I wasn't going to show him anything other than a cool headed, rational guy. I even squeezed out a cheerful "take it easy" on my way out.

Kind of a bummer that my quick cash turned into a loss of an hour and half of driving and the $?? fuel. Anyone need their Furnace or A/C looked at?
    I guess the though never crossed the guys mind that even something as simple as a flat screwdriver, you may have even had one in your tool box, could be used as a weapon?

I find people like that perplexing...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Links