Lost some business due to Carrying

This is a discussion on Lost some business due to Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a very strong man who can stick to his principals like you did. You should be proud Sir. Very proud....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost some business due to Carrying

It's a very strong man who can stick to his principals like you did. You should be proud Sir. Very proud.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

you handled that like a champ, very good self control!

I admire your ability to 'stick to your guns'...not creating a pro/anti gun debate was the correct thing to do...there are other jobs out there, and it is getting hotter by the day.

Perhaps this last customer might remember your short visit if BG's come (hope they don't) to HIS home...I'll bet he'll wish you were still there.

Some people are very slow learners...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That really sucks. I am suprised that someone acted like such a little girl about it (no offense to the ladies). I probably would have done the same thing you did and left.

I would like to think that I could keep cool enough with some hippie yappin liberal propaganda in my ear...calm enough to explain why I carry and the training that I have had. If someone can't understand your need to carry to protect yourself(especially someone in your position that travels to unknown neighbor hoods in unknown backyards) then they probably won't be persuaded by a nice explanation from you. Maybe if you could explain calmly enough you might put them at ease..at LEAST enough to finish the job and get paid. /haha

Sounds like time to re-evaluate your carry method if you are going to continue to carry in places where you work. Hard angles and positions make our clothing options a bit tougher. Been there. Luck to you in your job search.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I think you handled that situation really well. Kudos.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Sorry to hear about the lost business. I think you handled the situation pretty well. BTW, I don't know about your state, in my state CCW holders are required to inform homeowners that they are carrying before entering the person's home. I am a little conflicted about this requirement, although I would probably disarm rather than having to deal with that. I guess the law is meant to give the homeowner some say as to who may have a gun in their own home. I like it from the perspective of the homeowner, not necessarily from the perspective of an individual going about their daily business. Glad it didn't get too ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndfan View Post
    BTW, I don't know about your state, in my state CCW holders are required to inform homeowners that they are carrying before entering the person's home.
    No such requirement here. Never even heard of this one. Bummer on that.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Too bad, but the word is CONCEALED. I would not go into someone's home armed without permission, and that means probably disarming prior to going in the house to do work.

You lost business not because you were carrying, but because you did not exercise due care to insure that you would not reveal your gun. In some states I believe you could lose your license for that, as there is a penalty if your gun is seen.

Best,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    Good job and I can relate. I've never got "made" in someones house but I work in peoples homes all the time. I pocket carry a 642, it would be very difficult to to get busted.
    I'm sure alot of home owners would be offended because they would look at it as a conscious effort on your part that you brought the gun in their home. Like you are trying to protect yourself against them instead of someone that may break in the home while you are there. Its being ignorant about carrying. You know, that we carry all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people that would be just down right insulted that someone would carry into their home.
    The lack of understanding that we carry "everywhere" is something they just dont get. Anti's that have kids in the home I'm sure could turn into a real screaming fit. I DO NOT want to get busted carrying in anyones home. News would travel fast and I believe with the right person busting me, I could loose alot of business.
    I remember about 10 years ago before I was even aware of CCW, I had a plumber come here do some work and he always had a 25 ( or maybe a 380 ) on his hip. He said it was mostly for snakes under the house, I thought , Yeah right, go blow smoke up someone elses butt. But it didn't bother me in the least that he was carrying..
    I know alot of my customers personally and if they insisted I didnt carry in their home, I guess I just wouldnt. I couldnt afford to loose my business.

When he asked if you had a gun you could've said,
    "that's my freon pulse charger, I might not need it on this job but I always bring it..."

Then tell him to make you a coffee...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Think you did well. Way to keep a level head. It is easy to get all rialed up and get into a heated conflict.

Now he's hot and pissed.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote:Too bad, but the word is CONCEALED. I would not go into someone's home armed without permission, and that means probably disarming prior to going in the house to do work.Quote.

I gotta' go with this prior post.I wouldn't carry in anyone's home without asking their permission;therefore, i don't carry in their homes,as it's not their business to know that i DO carry.If i felt too threatened to go in without my gun,i wouldn't go in.

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post

I gotta' go with this prior post.I wouldn't carry in anyone's home without asking their permission;therefore, i don't carry in their homes,as it's not their business to know that i DO carry.If i felt too threatened to go in without my gun,i wouldn't go in.
    What do you do for work?
    I carry in strangers homes, they don't know about it and don't need to. If things go south while I'm working on their premises I will not compromise my safety just because I didn't feel threatened when I entered. I work in people's houses while they are out at work, what if someone sneaks in to rob me of my tools at gunpoint? - it happened here in Nashville two years ago - I can't ask the crackheads to give me a minute to let me get the gun out of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When he asked if you had a gun you could've said,
    "that's my freon pulse charger, I might not need it on this job but I always bring it..."

Then tell him to make you a coffee...

Good one Pete... Two Thumbs Up on the "freon pulse charger"

Not sure if I really would have used it though... but I like the way you think!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links