Lost some business due to Carrying

This is a discussion on Lost some business due to Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you come to Florida, specially South Florida I think you'll have a job 10 months out of the year non-stop. If my AC died ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost some business due to Carrying

VIP Member
    If you come to Florida, specially South Florida I think you'll have a job 10 months out of the year non-stop. If my AC died today, I wouldn't care if the tech showed up topless, in a pink tutu without any underwear. I want cold air!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I am sorry you had the loss in much needed income.

However I must say, if I had an unknown person in my house and realized he was armed, I would probably not be to happy either. Thats not to say I would have reacted how that person did to you, but I more than likely would have asked you to disarm unless you were able to convince me what a swell guy you were.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Apparently some posters here think we should take a public poll
    before we LEGALLY carry.

Amazing.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What do you do for work?
    I carry in strangers homes, they don't know about it and don't need to. If things go south while I'm working on their premises I will not compromise my safety just because I didn't feel threatened when I entered. I work in people's houses while they are out at work, what if someone sneaks in to rob me of my tools at gunpoint? - it happened here in Nashville two years ago - I can't ask the crackheads to give me a minute to let me get the gun out of the truck.
    Exactly Pete. Not only have I had customers get angry when I hand them the bill, but my dad was robbed outside a suburban home just running out to get a part from the truck. And that was when the economy was "good." Disarm? No Sir.

I'm just gonna make one reply to all the suggestions that I hide my gun better:
    I've considered other carry methods, but I like IWB. Concealed is relative. In this case I was only printing, but no laws broken even if I inadvertantly flashed. Without starting the "no-one should ever know your carrying debate," I choose to be discreet but not hide it like a criminal. I am doing nothing wrong, and deeper conceealment means a slower draw. If I lose a little bit of business but keep my wallet, tools, vehicle, and life: Cool.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Its ashame you had to lose a few bucks, but dont disarm for some anti twit.
    If I lived closer, I'd have you come on over to tune up my A/C. When are done we could do a little .22 shootin in my basement range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kudos, LBrombach. You breached neither law nor etiquette in the way you carried. Your reaction was professional and classy. So far as I'm concerned, your behavior presented a positive face for those of us who choose to carry.

Here's a thought: I'm not sure it's a bad thing when the non-carrying public glimpses a "print" or even an inadvertent "flash". (So long, of course, as that doesn't make the carrier legally vulnerable in their state). Perhaps if more of the general public realizes that common, non-threatening citizens are exercizing their carry rights it may, over time, diffuse some of the hysteria around firearms. As one who chooses to carry, I want the public to realize that our behavior is not out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I am sorry you had the loss in much needed income.

However I must say, if I had an unknown person in my house and realized he was armed, I would probably not be to happy either. Thats not to say I would have reacted how that person did to you, but I more than likely would have asked you to disarm unless you were able to convince me what a swell guy you were.
    I thought about this thread some more last night and I came to this conclusion as well. Anyone on these boards that would be A-OK with a stranger coming in their house with a firearm needs to have their head checked. You just compromised yourself, your home, and possibly your family and you lost a key tactical advantage. I definitely wouldn't have reacted like the nancy in the op's post but I probably would have asked to see his cc permit (while going to orange).

If he had the permit, I would understand and would probably have a good conversation about guns/ccw/ect.

How many of you wouldn't have been bothered by a strange man in your home with a gun?

(im sure the ops a great guy, but I don't know him from adam)

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    How many of you wouldn't have been bothered by a strange man in your home with a gun?
    I don't let anyone in the house unless I would trust them with a gun, so it's not an issue. I also don't go in any house where they don't trust me with a gun.

By the same logic, you should demand that all the stores you shop in be posted no-carry so that you won't have to compromise your safety when you go for toilet paper.

I thought about this thread some more last night and I came to this conclusion as well. Anyone on these boards that would be A-OK with a stranger coming in their house with a firearm needs to have their head checked. You just compromised yourself, your home, and possibly your family and you lost a key tactical advantage. I definitely wouldn't have reacted like the nancy in the op's post but I probably would have asked to see his cc permit (while going to orange).

If he had the permit, I would understand and would probably have a good conversation about guns/ccw/ect.

(im sure the ops a great guy, but I don't know him from adam)
    I have little fear of being attacked by someone that is doing maintenance on my home. There is a clear record of who was there and why. If I noticed they were carrying, It might put me in Orange. I'll pay a lot more attention to what they are doing.

People that make service calls are very vulnerable to ambushes leaving and entering the house to retrieve tools/parts. They often travel long distances, almost exclusively to strangers homes.

Honestly, I'd be more afraid of someone scheduling an appointment just to rob a repair guy than I would of the repair guy robbing or harming me.

I have the right to refuse to let anyone in my home, and I will exercise that right if I feel I need to. The mere presence of a gun alone is not reason enough.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Anyone on these boards that would be A-OK with a stranger coming in their house with a firearm needs to have their head checked.

I don't appreciate you passing medical opinion on my mental state, you aren't my doctor so don't attempt to be.

This thread is dividing along two lines, those that understand the concept of tradesmen in the home, and those that would carry a gun themselves but disarm all others.

The latter is hypocrisy.

Administrator
    I don't appreciate you passing medical opinion on my mental state, you aren't my doctor so don't attempt to be.

This thread is dividing along two lines, those that understand the concept of tradesmen in the home, and those that would carry a gun themselves but disarm all others.

The latter is hypocrisy.

If I invite someone into my home, I have to expect that they are armed. If you think not, you need to have your, well never mind.

A tradesman has plenty of tools that could be weapons in a blink, a gun is no different to me than a box cutter, screwdriver or whatever.
    If I didnt trust that person to be in my home with those items, he would not be invited in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Exactly Pete. Not only have I had customers get angry when I hand them the bill, but my dad was robbed outside a suburban home just running out to get a part from the truck. And that was when the economy was "good." Disarm? No Sir.

I'm just gonna make one reply to all the suggestions that I hide my gun better:
    I've considered other carry methods, but I like IWB. Concealed is relative. In this case I was only printing, but no laws broken even if I inadvertantly flashed. Without starting the "no-one should ever know your carrying debate," I choose to be discreet but not hide it like a criminal. I am doing nothing wrong, and deeper conceealment means a slower draw. If I lose a little bit of business but keep my wallet, tools, vehicle, and life: Cool.
    Why not have your cake and eat it too? We all compromise at times. Why not get a smaller gun or carry in a way that is very hard to detect while you are in someones home? A smaller gun doesn't mean smaller power, mine's a 38. It sounds like you are willing to damage your business just for the sake of principle ( like not hiding your gun like a criminal). If I thought I'd be detected carrying in someones home (strangers home ), I either would'nt carry or I'd find a way to carry more discretely. Pocket carrying a 642 is not a slow draw.
    I'm also in peoples home every day. People talk. You loose one job, they call their anti friend and on down the line. There is a story I just heard on the news while I'm typing this about a woman that was killed by her plumber in her home. We can't blame people for being worried. Another story last week was a guy from Best Buy installing a stereo killed a woman in her home. Most homes I'm in, the husband is at work and either the woman is home ( and kids ) or no one is home. Most work I get is from referals, so they hear I'm an ok guy before I even get to their house. But the ones that don't know me from Adam, well, they don't know me or what I'm capable of.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't carry in someones home, I do. But I am saying the reality is, people listen to the news and hear the things that go on, so if they dont know you, many are gonna freak. Its easily unavoidable by carrying in a way that you won't print.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

If I invite someone into my home, I have to expect that they are armed. If you think not, you need to have your, well never mind.

A tradesman has plenty of tools that could be weapons in a blink, a gun is no different to me than a box cutter, screwdriver or whatever.
    If I didnt trust that person to be in my home with those items, he would not be invited in.
    +1 on that.......

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Why not have your cake and eat it too? We all compromise at times. Why not get a smaller gun or carry in a way that is very hard to detect while you are in someones home?
    That's what the Kel-Tec is for.

The latter is hypocrisy.
    All I can really say without going into a long rant about the gun community is that I agree.

To the OP:

I think you handled the situation well. You stood by your convictions and avoided a confrontation. You didn't disarm because of an irrational fear or for money, and that deserves respect.
    Last edited by OrganDonor; June 27th, 2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Too early to be posting =/

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links