Lost some business due to Carrying - Page 7

Lost some business due to Carrying

This is a discussion on Lost some business due to Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing has been deleted. And nothing is being shown as edited.... PM Bumper or one of the following P95Carry, QkShooter, IMMEDIATELY...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    JD
    Administrator
    Nothing has been deleted. And nothing is being shown as edited....

PM Bumper or one of the following P95Carry, QkShooter, IMMEDIATELY

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post

Nothing I was saying was inflammatory, hostile, or indecent? If this is truly what is happening I kindly request to speak with the admin in question via PM.

I have been trying really hard not to get too argumentative and I haven't flamed. I enjoy the debates on this forum. I am not trying to cause problems.
    Press the '! in a triangle' on your own post, request assistance, this will PM all the mods and admin currently online.
    You will get help pretty quick.
    If you're skeptical about 'reporting' your own post then 'report' one of mine instead - but I've reported my own before, it's a quick way to talk to anyone available in authority here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    If my job or occupation required me to be credentialed, I would gladly display said credentials to any customer that requested so.

It is their right as a customer to expect compliance to such a request.
    But there is a difference between someone asking to verify a repairman's license/insurance status (I think the license part is probably public record anyway), and asking them to verify non-public, non-work related information (carry permit).

You guys are blowing what I am saying WAYYY out of proportion. I'm not requiring a background check or "security clearance". Concealed is concealed, but if I see it then expect me to go orange and question you about it.

Let me ask you this: What would you do if you hired Joe Plumber to come to your house and fix your toilet and when he bent over you noticed a .45 in his belt? For examples sake: You do not know Joe. You haven't used this company before. Your children are playing in the next room.
    The same thing I do now with repair people in my home, even if I don't know that they are armed.. Keep an eye on 'em. The only time I'm not in the same room as a repair person at my house, is if they are going to be there for a long time..in which case, I'm checking in on them to see how the work is coming anyway.. gun or no gun.. I hired them to do a job, most likely, I'm paying hourly.. I'm not going to delay their work by asking to see their carry permit..if I've done my research right before hiring them, I know that all their paperwork (job wise) is in order, and I've checked references..since the references weren't murdered by Joe Plumber who is using his plumber crack as a holster, I can believe with a reasonable degree of certainty, that Joe Plumber is here to do the job I've hired him for, not kill me and mine.

I show nothing deleted either and a bunch or posts answering the same stuff more than once what do you think your missing i have my settings high and see its 3 pages all ready so im think its truely high than that perhaps you missed some on all the pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I show nothing deleted either and a bunch or posts answering the same stuff more than once what do you think your missing i have my settings high and see its 3 pages all ready so im think its truely high than that perhaps you missed some on all the pages?
    haha maybe I am going crazy.

well there are 96 responses 97 with my post thats why im asking i got mine set at over 40 per page to make it easier to read

haha maybe I am going crazy.
    Join the club.

Seriously, it seems like half of my posts and responses aren't showing up on the forums... I distinctly remember typing certain things and I CANNOT find them in this thread.

Am I going crazy or is there something wrong with the forums?

or is an admin screwing with me and deleting my posts.
    I just quickly skimmed the whole thread again.. everything looks 'normal' and there doesn't seem to be anything missing.. Is it possible that you didn't wait for the reply to fully post before moving on? Replying has been kinda sluggish for me a few times tonight..I suppose its possible the reply timed out before posting..

Exactly where have I ever said I would eat concrete, prone out, and point my gun at the maintenance man?

No, you're going to treat him as a threat. Your tone and language and the automatic distrust merely for possessing a gun is similar to the police in many urban areas. There have been Open Carry stops (recently in TN) that resulted in similar treatment. One Open Carrier in MN was warned that cops will respond to any man with gun calls in full felony stop mode.

So, since you're going to automatically treat him as a threat, you'll fully understand if the cops automatically treat you as a threat and act accordingly.

I mean, they're using the same criteria you are: the mere presence of a gun before determining legality.

THAT is the comparison I was making.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Sponsor
    jackofspades,
    The more that I review this thread, the more I begin to see your point.

I have never had this situation occur. I do 90% of the service work on my home and have never noticed any guns on the few tradesmen that I have hired. So, I have been speaking from the "This is what I think I would do" standpoint. After this debate I can only say that I would play it by ear. If I notice a gun, the workman's actions and attitude up to that point would probably dictate my reaction.

As you have stated, I should have done at least a little research before asking someone in to work. He is either backed by a reputable firm or a licensed contractor himself. Or for that matter, herself.

Thank You for not letting this lie.

I may not have even considered my response to be a little hypocritical, as I see it was in retrospect, if you hadn't forced me to reconsider.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    jackofspades,
    After this debate I can only say that I would play it by ear. If I notice a gun, the workman's actions and attitude up to that point would probably dictate my reaction.
    Thank you.. thats what I was trying to get across.. if we're going to be suspicious of the people we hire (or, really, of anyone) it should be based on their behavior, NOT based on whether or not they have a visible firearm. The firearm should obviously not be ignored..but someone shouldn't be considered a threat, especially by 'pro-gunners' just because they have a gun.

Here is one thing might have been said but might not i didnt read whole thread but as a repair man who enters peoples houses everyday .. some say well you dont know him blah blah blah

Also remember i don't know you .. Never heard fo a repair man being called to a address and being mugged or killed? I have has happened here more than once..

While it might upset some to think that a unknown repair man is entering your home armed .. I look at it as no different than when i carry else where its there to protect me ..

Are you a bad person who called to have me service something ? unless i have been there a bunch how will i know? Got to look out for #1.

I have waled out of a drug raid .. Had the neighbors shooting it out as i was leaving a Call

Have had to have the cops come and get me when a home owner refused to let me leave .. Dangerous to you .. Ha

im the one on unknown ground in a unknown house.. Step into my shoes for a day or 2 and you will have a different point of view .. and if your only worried about the repairman having a gun your not thinking outside the box

i got other stuff just as dangerous in my hands in that plain jane beat up looking tool bag..

Food for thought..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I'm glad you stuck to your guns. People like this cannot be reasoned with and would have ragged on you the whole time you were there. I've been in the service business for fourty one years and have encountered a few of these people myself. I just pack it up and leave like you did. I hope your business picks up soon. good luck
    I just have to say, people have the right to react however they choose to to someone carrying a gun in their home. If I was made in someones home while working, depending on how upset they were, I'd put my gun in the truck and finish the job if they wanted me to. If they wanted me to leave, I'd leave. I believe in having the right to carry anywhere legal, but I also believe that a mans house is his castle and I respect that.
    Its a reality that some people aren't going to feel comfortable with a man in their home with a gun no matter what ( or any gun as far as that goes ). I live in a small town and if I refused to do the work because I was made, it would ruin my business, and fast.
    The answer is to carry a small gun while at work, conceal it well, the customer is none the wiser and I go home with paycheck. ( And they call me back next time ).

Bud, I'm right there with you.
    The incident that finally woke me up to getting my carry permit was when a couple of contractors were working in a empty house in East Nashville and a few gangbangers came in and robbed them at gunpoint of their tools, wallets, watches, truck, everything. One of them got hurt. I was working on my own in an empty house in East Nashville too at the time, it could've been me.
    I did my permit class ASAP, and I carry everywhere I go.
    I wouldn't shoot my way out of a situation where they were just stealing my tools, but the way the gangs are going here I would want to be able to protect myself from anyone who wanted to do a lone target harm.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links