Lost some business due to Carrying

This is a discussion on Lost some business due to Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife lost her job a couple months ago and my 2nd job is winter only, so needless to say we've been a bit strapped ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost some business due to Carrying

The wife lost her job a couple months ago and my 2nd job is winter only, so needless to say we've been a bit strapped for cash. Thank goodness for my 3rd job, which is actually my part time heating and cooling business. That too has been a bit slow but just when I really needed it, I get a call from the friend of a friend of an old customer. He has no A/C. So after work I drive 45 minutes from Downtown Detroit, ready to do a good job and score a few bucks.

In short order I've got the furnace open and I'm leaning and reaching and apparantly printing pretty good while I'm this contorted. "Are you wearing a gun?" He asks. "Oh, yes" I reply matter of factly, "I didn't realize it was showing."

This is where he asks: "why would you bring a gun into my home?" Oh boy, I'm thinking. I try to be non-chalant and just mention that I carry it everywhere it's legal to, and that I have a license to. Doesn't matter. He gets pretty worked up pretty quick, and doesn't seem to care anymore that it's 90-something degrees in his house. Here is the odd reaction: for someone that must've felt threatened by the mere presence of a gun, he sure was beliggerant to the guy carrying it. I asked if it was important enough to him that he would rather I leave than fix his air conditioner. He didn't really answer that, just mumbling about the number of people killed every year by guns, how even an ATF agent shot himself, and if this "pro" could screw up, it was very likely that my gun would jump out of its holster and take out his whole family.

I didn't really need an answer, but when I started packing my tools, he stopped talking and looked at me funny, as if to ask where I thought I was going. I just said: "I think you'd be more comfortable with someone else here." Then I left. I really wanted to get mouthy back. Rub in that he'd be waiting for some time and paying much more for a regular full time company to come out. But I wasn't going to show him anything other than a cool headed, rational guy. I even squeezed out a cheerful "take it easy" on my way out.

Kind of a bummer that my quick cash turned into a loss of an hour and half of driving and the $?? fuel. Anyone need their Furnace or A/C looked at?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I can tell ya whos hiring right now for heating and ac if it would help ..and they are swamped

yes that can be a problem i always like the i brought in the wrong tool bag line leave and dont come back

I am glad you took the high road. No amount of fact telling will convert an anti. I hope you get some more work soon. Good luck.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Assistant Administrator
    Whadya do with those folks? - and a pity you had to be in his house.

Trouble is they are the ones with the blanket ''guns bad'' syndrome and do not or cannot view the whole picture. Sorry you had a useless trip and time ..... even more sad to hear of yet another closed-minded anti.

Can't help wondering, tho I too might have quit and gone in that situation - if a sit down and chat just might have softened his attitude a tad, even if not straightening him out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

to bad people are like that.

If my A/C was out I wouldn't care if you carried a "nuke" as long as you got it fixed..... Hope you find some more work quick.

Nothing like a little heat, to help him "stew in his own juices". Hopefully, it took a day or so to find another service option. If he had to pay twice the price, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I can tell ya whos hiring right now for heating and ac if it would help ..and they are swamped
    Thanks Bud, It just may come to that. I'm not sure how that would work, since I have a full time day job and my own customers. (most places will can you quick if you're doing "side work") I'd have to think long and hard before I could send all my customers off to the wolves.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the tuff times. But I must say I do admire your commitment to carrying and your sticking to your beliefs.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Can't help wondering, tho I too might have quit and gone in that situation - if a sit down and chat just might have softened his attitude a tad, even if not straightening him out.
    I wonder too, and although I have advocated exactly this before, it never even occurred to me while I was there. Go figure.

VIP Member

Smile

You took the high road, and he's still sweating. So be it! Sorry about your lost service call, but I bet things will have a way of working out for you on something else.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Thanks Bud, It just may come to that. I'm not sure how that would work, since I have a full time day job and my own customers. (most places will can you quick if you're doing "side work") I'd have to think long and hard before I could send all my customers off to the wolves.
    Yep i understand that I don't do side jobs anymore and place im thinking of restricts it course at 10 hours 6 days a week right now for them i don't think they have the energy to

Kudos to you!

Rather than go to his level or worst argue facts and what he figures with a man as a guest/employee in his own home, a no no where I come from, you went for the high road and choose to do the professional thing in leaving.
    Golf claps for you from my corner of the internet.

See fellow member Fed_Wif_A_SIG's thread toward the UCC holster shirt for future home owner problem avoidance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

that's a tough one.

on one hand, folks have the right to make the rules in their own house.

on the other, he invited you in as-is, with no signs posted (kinda silly to expect a sign though).

i guess the best solution is to practice common moves that you make while repairing, and making sure you don't print in the future. or, have a different carry configuration while doing that particular job (ankle or thunderwear).

either way, sorry to hear you lost out on cash and time. showing them a level head was the right thing to do...thanks for that, you made a good example for us.

Sorry for ya, but good luck with your business!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links