Point shooting

This is a discussion on Point shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FIREARMZ I do not like to use the term point shooting but tend to lean more to [I]gun indexing or target focus. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Point shooting

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    I do not like to use the term point shooting but tend to lean more to [I]gun indexing or target focus. When you say point shooting everyone imagines that you have the gun down around the waist line.

[I]Point shooting is an important and essential part of defensive shooting. We can all stand behind a bench 15-21' away from our paper targets and throw lead down the range all day. No real need to learn how to point shoot at that distance. But in a truly defensive situation, it's not going to be 15-21' away. It's going to be up close and personal, within 5', most likely much closer. If grabbed by someone from the front, point shooting is your only option. If you limit yourself to just a gun.

Truly training to defend yourself involves more than just a gun, there are edged weapons, h2h skills and all of them are equally important. A multi-functional/discipline approach is a much better system. A gun is not the answer to every solution. Something as simple as timing the access to a weapon can be lethal. We constantly see people that are die in the wool gun people walk away with amazed looks that they could not access the gun or they have it taken away.
    I agree wth your statements here! Very well put.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

After 51 years of shooting (well perhaps I didn't start till I was like 6 or 7 but)... I think I got the hang of sight shooting so I concentrate most of my defense pistol practice now on point and shoot. Sure, I still fire rifles and check aim on pistols with the sights. But for practice for concealed carry/self defense I do it all point and shoot now. I can always revert to sights if time allows and situation presents itself to do so. I figure my weakness is going to be my quick shots and under stress shots to I am learning and practicing point and shoot almost exclusively now. I don't use some of the formal methods I have seen. I just stay consistent and use a sort of body position triangulation sort of technique. What works for you as long as your consistent is the one to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links