Open Carry with a BIG twist.

This is a discussion on Open Carry with a BIG twist. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My understanding is that Israeli citizens can apply to the government for a handgun, and the government will train them and then issue them one. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry with a BIG twist.

My understanding is that Israeli citizens can apply to the government for a handgun, and the government will train them and then issue them one. Most adults have belonged to the military anyway, so they have backgrounds with weapons. And there is no real anti-gun faction there. Everybody understands that they are in a de facto war with the Muslims. A lot of the people seen with rifles are actually reservists carrying their issue weapons.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    My concern would be about the same as if people walked around with their handguns unholstered. Easily dropped or banged about, and not knowing the quality of training or just plain knucklehead factor, I'd be concerned about the number of times that the muzzles covered people throughout the day. How many of these got one in the pipe and safety off? How many are old with sears that could slip at the slightest bump? Not too concerned when slung over the shoulder, just when people put them down to try on a pair of pants or whatever.

By the way, do normal citizens have guns in Israel? (I should hope so, as part of the National defense plan, but I think I've heard 4th hand that only Police and armed forces get weapons)
    My understanding was that all citizens (male and female) are required to join the IDF for a minimum of 3 years starting the day they turn 18. Nevermind that they're constantly at war...I'd say they had their bases covered with all their citizens carrying.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    My understanding was that all citizens (male and female) are required to join the IDF for a minimum of 3 years starting the day they turn 18. Nevermind that they're constantly at war...I'd say they had their bases covered with all their citizens carrying.
    Women do one year less than men, men are also required to stay active - it's about a month every year until 40.

VIP Member
    Rifles are big, heavy, bulky and awkward for most any urban civilian self defense applications.

There are very few rifle rounds that would not have serious issues of over penetration.

My concealed handgun is faster to draw and acquire a target than a rifle/shotgun slung over my shoulder.

It would be harder to find cover and concealment carrying something at least 2 feet in length (and that's compact for a longgun).

Unless faced with imminent threat of war (as in the Middle East situations) I wouldn't carry a longgun even if it was legal and socially acceptable.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

We can walk around with rifles here. You will get a lot of unwanted attention but it is legal. I was talking about this with an attorney I know a while back. We were talking about how the police get calls from scared people during gun shows. They call about people walking down the street with rifles and shotguns in their hands.

In GA we can carry rifles if we want. It would be inconveient, but perfectly legal.

I have not lived in Israel like Pete but I have been there 5 times. And I can tell you this, I felt very safe there.

I am not Jewish but I could easily see myself living there. The mind set is something to be inspired by. You have to remember, Israel is a country that is no bigger than a small state here in our country. They are surrounded by countries that want to destroy them and at one time or another, Israel has kicked all of their butts, and good too.

They are a tough people. They know what terrorism is and they know how to deal with it. There is very little wishy washy feel good let'[s all be friends crap there. And what there is of it, comes mostly from American Liberals who happen to be Jewish and have emigrated there.

I would feel just as safe here if everyone carried openly (as I do a great deal of the time) and also had a rifle. Personally, I'd want to get an AR-15 to sling on my shoulder. The AK would be too over penetrative for the urban environment IMO.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There, I fixed that for you.
    Your awsome brother! I like that alot!!!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    My concern would be about the same as if people walked around with their handguns unholstered. Easily dropped or banged about, and not knowing the quality of training or just plain knucklehead factor, I'd be concerned about the number of times that the muzzles covered people throughout the day. How many of these got one in the pipe and safety off? How many are old with sears that could slip at the slightest bump? Not too concerned when slung over the shoulder, just when people put them down to try on a pair of pants or whatever.

By the way, do normal citizens have guns in Israel? (I should hope so, as part of the National defense plan, but I think I've heard 4th hand that only Police and armed forces get weapons)
    By law, Israelis carry their automatic weapons in Condition 2. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum40/2234.html
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    By law, Israelis carry their automatic weapons in Condition 2. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum40/2234.html
    That's a good read. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's a good read. Thanks.
    I agree!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I agree with LB.
    Me too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    A most excellent story in the "open carry" forum.

I loved it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

bae
    Camp chair bag: $5.00
    Quality AK-47 w/folding stock: $500
    4 magazines full of ammo: $80

Look on Bad Guy's face when you unvelcro your camp chair bag and solve the problem: Priceless.

For everything else... there's Mastercard
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links