Open Carry with a BIG twist. - Page 3

Open Carry with a BIG twist.

This is a discussion on Open Carry with a BIG twist. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by myusername We can walk around with rifles here. You will get a lot of unwanted attention but it is legal. I was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry with a BIG twist.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    We can walk around with rifles here. You will get a lot of unwanted attention but it is legal. I was talking about this with an attorney I know a while back. We were talking about how the police get calls from scared people during gun shows. They call about people walking down the street with rifles and shotguns in their hands.
    Very true. In Minnesota, with your carry permit, you can carry your AR or shotgun slung over your shoulder in downtown Minneapolis (I would not recommend it but you can legally).

So not all states are hung up with OC rifles, shotguns or pistols being a bad thing.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I stand incredibly corrected on the Israeli gun ownership thing! Might have to immigrate myself. Terrorists I can live with, Rosie and the Liberals are too much!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Here in AZ, carrying a rifle open is OK. I knew a guy who used to sling his AK over his back while riding his Honda Scooter. Got stopped a few times, but all perfectly legal.
    Strapping a long gun negates two huge benefits of CCW - suprise, and manueverability. Most defensive shootings occur inside 7 yards, too close for a long gun, unless you're version of a long gun is a Czech Skorpion. Also, the rifle toter will be marked as the first target in any ambush setting. Also, what about overpenetration? You're responsible for that slug, wherever it goes...
    The rifleis a great tool, properly employed, and unless we have a huge surge of terrorist incidents, and enough intelligent people in Congress don't panic at the thought of everyday citizens carrying thier rifles open, then carrying one everyday might not be the greatest idea.
    As for training, we DID impliment a law here in AZ allowing public schools to offer firearms training as an elective, range time REQUIRED to pass. Unfortunately, it's up to the individual school districts if they want to offer it, and I don't know of any yet. I'd like to see it as common as driver's ed. Maybe next year.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    As for training, we DID impliment a law here in AZ allowing public schools to offer firearms training as an elective, range time REQUIRED to pass. Unfortunately, it's up to the individual school districts if they want to offer it, and I don't know of any yet. I'd like to see it as common as driver's ed. Maybe next year.
    That is awsome!!!

I think a pistol cal carbine in .40 or .45 would be ideal especialy with a folding stock for transport( gotta compramise somewhere).
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post

I think a pistol cal carbine in .40 or .45 would be ideal especialy with a folding stock for transport( gotta compramise somewhere).
    I was thinking a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm (Glock mags), the .40 kicks a little, the 9mm is sweet.

The way that thing folds and unfolds you could almost have it in a belt holster, certainly in a small bag, if required to conceal.
    And at $400 it's cheaper than most of my handguns.

M2
    Was shown this video during the USAFSOS Dynamics of International Terrorism course...

Shopping in Israel

I think this reflects life in that country. Not quite sure I am up for that level of intensity...things are much more laid back and relaxed here in Texas!

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was thinking a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm (Glock mags), the .40 kicks a little, the 9mm is sweet.

The way that thing folds and unfolds you could almost have it in a belt holster, certainly in a small bag, if required to conceal.
    And at $400 it's cheaper than most of my handguns.
    H..L yes! that would be just about perfect!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

some of us do not like open carry handguns due to the likelihood of being targeted by a BG for theft or elimination.

And believe me, there are some places in this country that could benefit from some openly displayed firearms.

This is confusing to me.

On a side note, do we have stats pertaining to targeting of armed citizens?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    This is confusing to me.
    Imagine you're in a Stop'n'Rob picking up some milk, BGs come in waving guns to rob the cashier. You are open carrying, they see it, calculate you are a threat and shoot you before you can act. If concealed that weapon wouldn't have attracted attention.

Imagine you are walking in a mall, on the street, wherever. You are open carrying, a BG sees the gun and decides it is time he had a new gun. He hits you from behind. If concealed that gun wouldn't have attracted attention.

Yet you quote Fred Thompson on communites with guns have less crime?

I conceed that there are places I do not go into OC. But these are places where I would not go without a gun either.

Also, I don't 'sleep' while I'm walking around in the mall like you describe.

All of this aside, I would love to see stats to support these 'brave' BGs. These people are cowards and thus not willing to charge an armed citizen. If they were brave they would work for a living.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    Yet you quote Fred Thompson on communites with guns have less crime?

I conceed that there are places I do not go into OC. But these are places where I would not go without a gun either.

Also, I don't 'sleep' while I'm walking around in the mall like you describe.

All of this aside, I would love to see stats to support these 'brave' BGs. These people are cowards and thus not willing to charge an armed citizen. If they were brave they would work for a living.
    Didn't say anything regarding sleep. You read it wrong.

Didn't say we don't need guns, I didn't contradict my signature line quote, I said carrying openly could be problematic, YMMV.

Pete,

Not trying to 'pick a fight'. I just disagree with you on this. I think we are looking at the same issues from 2 different angles.

I do find this scenario you describe, which places OC being a disadvantage, mentioned by some others. I feel if it were then the Police would not OC.

I also, have never seen huge numbers of OC citizens attacked in any news that I have read.

I also, see your side of this issue and see how you personally could perceive CC as an advantage if the scenario were a reality. I just find it far fetched.

In addition, what is YMMV?

Sorry - YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

Meaning, we might not agree.

All I am saying is what I was taught at my carry class, if they can see it then expect some sort of trouble, even if it's only some passerby having a panic attack and calling the police.

I understand that due to your background and location that your carry methods will vary. Here in Nashville I keep mine tucked...

No offense taken, it's all debate to me, I enjoy it and never take offense.

All I am saying is what I was taught at my carry class,
    And that is understandable due to the business they are in. OC profits that instructor nothing.

if they can see it then expect some sort of trouble, even if it's only some passerby having a panic attack and calling the police.
    This is a very true reality and many of the OC citizens suffer from police being called for nothing illegal happening. Even to the point of being cuffed and disarmed. But, while not everyone served in the military, all of us enjoy the freedoms that veterans served to protect.

Likewise, the antis went after 'machine guns' first, then 'assault weapons' next. Little by little chipping away at our freedom. The more people that OC the less ground is taken due to 'out of sight, out of mind'. Legislators have agendas. So do I.

I understand that due to your background and location that your carry methods will vary. Here in Nashville I keep mine tucked...
    This is also very true. That being said, you may recognize that in Louisiana, our public and police need serious education about the 2nd amendment down here. To drive the point home I am willing to be 'harassed' by police especially around New Orleans, which have proven they are willing to 'go Gestapo' when nobody is looking.

I also feel that perhaps a CHL is owner registration. Some people feel it is making a 'right' into a 'privilege'

No offense taken, it's all debate to me, I enjoy it and never take offense.
    Thank you for that as I was never trying to offend. I try not to get 'fired up' but, do sometimes due to my beliefs of our freedoms.

My only real concerns would be people leaving their rifle laying around because they had their hands full or some other reason to unsling it. That and the greater handling required because the rifle gets in the way and is readjusted, picked up, put down. Not to mention an exposed trigger.

FYI, open carry of loaded rifle is OK in Texas. Man, I LOVE Texas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links