Open Carry with a BIG twist.

This is a discussion on Open Carry with a BIG twist. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is said, rightly in my opinion, that a handgun is just a way to get to your rifle. Your rifle is your best option ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry with a BIG twist.

Open Carry with a BIG twist.

It is said, rightly in my opinion, that a handgun is just a way to get to your rifle. Your rifle is your best option in most defensive scenarios.

This isn't Israel, we can't walk about on the beach or to the shops with a rifle slung over one shoulder, we don't have that luxury.

Suspend belief a moment though, imagine if we could. If the law was changed so that we had a choice of carrying a handgun or a rifle for personal defense.

Obviously the rifle would necessitate open carry, some of us do not like open carry handguns due to the likelihood of being targeted by a BG for theft or elimination.

But if you were carrying a rifle would that be any different?

If it were normal to pass 10 or 20 people in the mall carrying rifles, would you feel safer?

I lived in Israel, I was fine with the amount of openly displayed guns there. And believe me, there are some places in this country that could benefit from some openly displayed firearms.

2. Remove Ads

My concern would be about the same as if people walked around with their handguns unholstered. Easily dropped or banged about, and not knowing the quality of training or just plain knucklehead factor, I'd be concerned about the number of times that the muzzles covered people throughout the day. How many of these got one in the pipe and safety off? How many are old with sears that could slip at the slightest bump? Not too concerned when slung over the shoulder, just when people put them down to try on a pair of pants or whatever.

By the way, do normal citizens have guns in Israel? (I should hope so, as part of the National defense plan, but I think I've heard 4th hand that only Police and armed forces get weapons)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I agree with LB.

handguns are carried for self defense, they are meant for short range shooting. most self defense scenarios occure at self defense ranges (less than 20 feet). a rifle is not meant for that range. if someone is a threat a most rifle distances, you should be able to get the hell out of there before they are close.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Administrator
    I've never been to let alone lived in Israel, but from what I understand, the whole national defense thing is a big part of their culture. This and national service has a lot to do with people properly handling themselves with such weapons. They are dealing with a very different threat than the average American is too. (for now)
    Our country is filled with all kinds, from the very best of the best to the mouth breathing low lifes that I would trust with a stick of gum. That makes it all the more interesting in the good 'ole USA.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Till Death View Post
    handguns are carried for self defense, they are meant for short range shooting. most self defense scenarios occure at self defense ranges (less than 20 feet). a rifle is not meant for that range. if someone is a threat a most rifle distances, you should be able to get the hell out of there before they are close.
    +1 to defensive ranges.
    Not sure that a rifle would be needed for most cases, perhaps a shotgun. However I don't know that I would feel safer for the reasons mentioned above. If I knew all had been through training and such then perhaps, but still would worry about over penetration and being able to get out of fighting distance if I was not the main party involved.

Intersting question though.

In some places you *can* carry a loaded rifle openly. (Idaho)

2 Brothers 1 open carries his glock, the other carries a rifle because hes not old enough to carry a pistol. Why? To deter crime and educate people about RKBA.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274138,00.html
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I'd still rather have a rifle or shotgun at 20', given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Till Death View Post
    handguns are carried for self defense, they are meant for short range shooting. most self defense scenarios occure at self defense ranges (less than 20 feet). a rifle is not meant for that range.
    Rifles are meant for pretty much any range, from 9 feet to 900. The only range at which a handgun is really superior is when someone's within gun-grabbing distance (can't get a rifle back in the retention position like you can a handgun). A rifle's extra reach is mostly wasted in a self-defense situation, but it's extra stopping power is not. Remember, handgun bullets suck! Even a .45 is pretty underpowered when it comes to quickly stopping a human target. A rifle, even in a relatively small caliber like .223, is a LOT more powerful than a handgun.

In the normal self-defense scenarios we kick around on here, people go insane whenever someone suggests using ball ammo in their .45 instead of hollowpoints. OVER PENETRATION is the cry.

Imagine if you had to engage a BG at 7 yards with a .308?

Rifles are good for stopping big things, or small/average sized things at longer range. Stopping small/average sized things at short (self-defense) ranges is a bad use for a rifle.

When you're in a military situation and everyone "over there" is a target, it's a much different scenario than the typical self-defense situation where almost everyone other than the guy "right here" is an innocent.

VIP Member
    If we had mandatory military service and a vast majority of people in the reserves, that would make sense. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with a Soldier or Marine with an M-16 over their shoulder. But Bubba and his deer rifle is a different story. A pistol concealed on your person is different than having a .308 rifle slung on your shoulder.

Of course, I just ordered an M1 from CMP and it would make me smile to know that people could order a battle rifle, receive it in the mail, and then carry it everywhere they went.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I agree with previous posts above by LB & RTD. I'd be nervous about being swept by the business end of gun being carried by a bone head, of which there are plenty, or pay no mind to which way the muzzle points as they strut around with rifle/shotgun in hand
    ( ever experienced that a gun range ?? )

Also, unless the BG's are approaching from a distance, a rifle won't be as easy to handle as a pistol ,when up close and personal with a BG, as most civilian self defense encounters are most likely to take place. As for power, sure the rifle is superior, BUT what about over penetration and striking an unintended target ? That would seem to be a real issue out on the street.

A rifle just is not practical for most daily civilian applications. We can't walk around with our AR/ black rifle poised on the shoulder or low ready as the SWAT teams and military units do. Their pistols are a back up weapon. It is much easier to have you handgun holstered within easy reach. Just my 2 cents.

Wow. If one isn't allowed to open carry a rifle in the mall because their Babba, what changes when you give him a hangun? I have no problem with it since in some states you can carry a concealed handgun without any training. What training is required of the bad guys to be bad guys? We had all better get on the same train before the anti's take over the engine and take us down the wrong tracks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Wow. If one isn't allowed to open carry a rifle in the mall because their Babba, what changes when you give him a hangun? I have no problem with it since in some states you can carry a concealed handgun without any training. What training is required of the bad guys to be bad guys? We had all better get on the same train before the anti's take over the engine and take us down the wrong tracks.
    I agree that there is no need to pack around a rifle in the US (again, YET). I also agree with Supertac's post too. Some disagree with me but I think that carrying any gun should require some training (free or included in the CCW fee). No I don't mean it as a form of Gov control. It sure would be safer for everyone. Especially if carrying a rifle around became the norm. Not necessarily SWAT training just some good basic training in safety and handling the weapon in an emergency. People like myself who have had formal training could step outside of themself and volunteer to do this. I personally have helped many friends and family and also friends of thiers so that they have at least something to go on.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    Some disagree with me but I think that carrying any gun should require some training (free and available to all starting at Elementary School level and completed by High School graduation).
    There, I fixed that for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links