Out of town across 4 states

This is a discussion on Out of town across 4 states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be leaving Arkansas for South Carolina in about a week and traveling through Louisiana, Alabama,Georgia and into SC Real soon. Any advice on ...

Thread: Out of town across 4 states

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Out of town across 4 states

I will be leaving Arkansas for South Carolina in about a week and traveling through Louisiana, Alabama,Georgia and into SC Real soon. Any advice on Planning for CCW. Any One from these areas that may know some info that would help me on stayin out of JAIL would help. The last thing I want to do is wind up in the Poky and plead ignorance.
    I really will be spending the highest % of the time in SC, So I am tryin to find out more on there Laws. They are not real specific on carrying while in your vehicle! Does it have to be in glovebox or console ,Loaded,Unloaded etc. Well I hope some of you will help a rookie on his first out of town trip while Carrying. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

check packing.org for particulars. Reciprocity is going to be your big issue. We have a bill in the State Senate right now which will really increase the states we have reciprocity with, but its slim pickings right now.

VIP Member
    Check out this site as well:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

SC can be loaded and in GLOVE BOX, CENTER CONSOLE, or TRUNK.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

thanxs xd in SC .

SC and Arkansas have reciprocity, so if you have an AR permit you are good to go.

If you have a permit: Check out the state laws at http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Executive summary:
    No carry onto school property (incl. parking lots), private or public, pre-school through university, at all (unless you have permission from the person in charge of the property)
    No carry into a church without the permission of the pastor or governing board.
    No carry into any hospital, doctor's office, or other medical facility.
    No carry into any establishment with a license to serve alcohol for on-premises consumption (e.g., a grocery store is OK, a restaurant or bar is not).
    You must present your permit if asked for ID by a LEO while you are carrying.
    No carry into any publicly-owned building, with the exception of bathroom facilities at highway rest stops.
    Carry in state parks is allowed, and I believe carry into buildings within state parks is also allowed (the other exception to the publicly owned buildings rule).
    No carry into someone's home without their permission.

Finally, there are specific signage requirements. Not many places are properly posted, but some are. The specifications can be found on the webpage I provided above.

Where in SC are you going to be? If anywhere near Columbia, I'd be glad to take you to lunch somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    I will be leaving Arkansas for South Carolina in about a week and traveling through Louisiana, Alabama,Georgia and into SC Real soon. Any advice on Planning for CCW. Any One from these areas that may know some info that would help me on stayin out of JAIL would help. The last thing I want to do is wind up in the Poky and plead ignorance.
    I really will be spending the highest % of the time in SC, So I am tryin to find out more on there Laws. They are not real specific on carrying while in your vehicle! Does it have to be in glovebox or console ,Loaded,Unloaded etc. Well I hope some of you will help a rookie on his first out of town trip while Carrying. Thanks.

Thanxs SCguy . That is where I grew up, In Darlington SC. All my family still there. Boy I do miss it

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Georgia laws are somewhat restrictive. I am not going to go into my usual moan and groan mode about how they need to be changed.

Here is a site that has everything spelled out for you in plain english.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Arkansas and Georgia do not have reciprocity. Your CCL will not be honored. However you can keep your pistol loaded in the glove box or console.

This code section does not forbid the carrying of a loaded handgun in any private motor vehicle by a person who is not licensed, but also who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, in an open manner and totally exposed to view. For those who are not listed as ineligible for a license (found below in the "Firearm License Carrying" section) may also place the gun in the glove compartment, console, or any other similar closed compartment

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    In Darlington SC.
    Home of the "Lady in Black!" For those not in the know I am talking about Darlington Raceway, one of the orginal speedways for NASCAR. It is an egg shaped oval that takes alot of skill to get around. It is always one of the best races of the year. Too bad that NA$CAR is thinking about taking it off the schedule.......
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I will be alright in Georgia, thanks to the 20 $ sent to NH for my NR permit I got it just because of this trip. With Arkansas only I would have had to take the long way to SC. I miss going to those races at that old track. Without that track life for the crews body shop woul be to easy. Whats next (BristoL) Lord I hope not.

Don't count Darlington down for the count just yet. The Mother's Day race is doing better than expected, they are embarking on a resurfacing project that will also create a new spectator tunnel and better garages.

If you win at Darlington, you really are a great driver. I miss seeing Richard Petty race!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    Don't count Darlington down for the count just yet. The Mother's Day race is doing better than expected, they are embarking on a resurfacing project that will also create a new spectator tunnel and better garages.

If you win at Darlington, you really are a great driver. I miss seeing Richard Petty race!

I don't want to count it out but I am afraid with all of the changes that Brian France is making, it doesn't bode well for tradition. He wants to cater to the glamor and glitz of the Hollywood/NYC crowd and most of them could really care less.

I hope they don't resurface it too much. That track is heck on tires which adds even more challenge for the drivers! I have some old Dale Sr. victories from the 80's/early 90's that were transfered from video to DVD for me. Watching that 3 car coming off turn 4 on the very edge of being out of control............chill bumps baby!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I don't want to count it out but I am afraid with all of the changes that Brian France is making, it doesn't bode well for tradition. He wants to cater to the glamor and glitz of the Hollywood/NYC crowd and most of them could really care less.

I hope they don't resurface it too much. That track is heck on tires which adds even more challenge for the drivers! I have some old Dale Sr. victories from the 80's/early 90's that were transfered from video to DVD for me. Watching that 3 car coming off turn 4 on the very edge of being out of control............chill bumps baby!
    I hear you. Our local paper quoted Darlington president Chris Browning as saying not to expect the track to be different--"We’re getting rock for the asphalt from the same quarry".

Links