Will Rehab Prevent Me From Purchasing a Handgun?

This is a discussion on Will Rehab Prevent Me From Purchasing a Handgun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voluntarily admitted myself to rehab about a year ago due to someone stealing my pain medication. Since then I have been on suboxone as ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Will Rehab Prevent Me From Purchasing a Handgun?

I voluntarily admitted myself to rehab about a year ago due to someone stealing my pain medication. Since then I have been on suboxone as an alternative to my medication. I am going to pick up a gun I had shipped to my local gun store this Friday but am worried that going to rehab will show up on my background check and prevent me from being able to pick up my gun. Does anyone know for sure whether or not I will pass? Thanks so much

I don't know if they have all the dots connected and will deny you but in my state it clearly asks you if you are addicted to any drugs even pot and it disqualifies you from legal ownership.
    Eagleks likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Here are the questions that must be answered: 4473 BATFE

Questions E and F appear problematic dependent on your exact circumstances, I would suggest you discuss this with an attorney familiar with the law, however, if, dependent on your exact circumstances, you can honestly answer all of the Question 11 answers as "No" there is no harm in completing the Form 4473 honestly and accurately and having the NICS submitted. You will find out soon enough if you pass.

I assume the Suboxone is now taken legally.

In my simple mind I do not consider a substance abuse program a "Mental Institution".
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yes the suboxone is prescribed. Looking at all the information I found online, the only trouble I see is if someone was involuntarily committed to either a rehab or a minute til someone was involuntarily committed to either a rehab or a mental institution. I am 90% sure I will be fine just worried about that 10%. I have called a few gun stores and ask them and most have told me there would be no problem. I have been saving for this gun for a very long time that's why I am so worried about it.

My exact circumstances are that I have never been addicted to illegal drugs so I can honestly answer all questions concerning it no .
    Eagleks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kjones.0791 View Post
    My exact circumstances are that I have never been addicted to illegal drugs so I can honestly answer all questions concerning it no .
    that not what it ask's

Doesn't it ask whether or not you are addicted to illegal substances?

Doesn't it ask whether or not you are addicted to illegal substances?
    It asks something like: Are you an unlawful user of OR addicted to marijuana, stimulants, depressants, narcotics or any controlled substance.

I don't really have an answer for you though there's a lot of gray area for interpretation there.

I wouldn't think it's talking about prescribed medications

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    ..........lawyer
    ghost tracker likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    ..........lawyer
    And, one with specific experience in firearms law. Not just any ambulance-chasing ticket-fixer.
    kukla likes this.

You think I should get a lawyer if denied? I really hope I don't get denied that would really blow

With the reporting and record keeping they have today you have about a 99% chance there is no record of your rehab stay. That said, unless you checked in for just a brief rest you had a dependency problem with a drug. Question E asks this very thing. Only you can make the decision on how to proceed. Good luck hope it all works out.JMO

But the drug in question wasn't illegal I had a prescription for it.

You think I should get a lawyer if denied? I really hope I don't get denied that would really blow
    If you're concerned enough to ask a bunch of internet stooges, I would ask a lawyer before filling out the paperwork, to make sure you're honestly and correctly filling them out. Remember, making mistakes or lying on government forms is only allowed if you are a paid government official. Your or I will be subject to legal penalties.

Another thing to think about: many gun dealers have a minimum charge for denied NICS checks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links