Need to vent....again....

This is a discussion on Need to vent....again.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was having a little fun at the range. Well, kinda sorta, my recoil anticipation problem came back. Its an issue I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to vent....again....

Last night I was having a little fun at the range. Well, kinda sorta, my recoil anticipation problem came back. Its an issue I just can't shake but working hard on it. Anyways, my friend "Kevin" called to ask if I could meet up with him later on that night to help "Pete" because he wanted to buy his very first pistol and since I read a lot that I could be of some help. I said sure.

Later on that night, we met up. Me, "Kevin", "Pete" all were talking and Pete's co-worker showed up. The co-worker didn't say hello, didn't shake hands, didn't even acknowledge. He just pulled up a seat and sat down with a cocky, "I am Mr Bad Ass" look.

Okay, as we a pick a topic on a gun, a feature, or a caliber, the co-worker butts in as if we begged for his opinion. My friend, kevin, was talking something about a caliber when the co-worker butts in, AGAIN, and asks, "Kevin, do you have a CHL?" My friend looks at him as if he was stupid and said, "No, you don't need one in order to have a knowledge about guns". The co-worker gets cocky and says, "well I have one".

Now we get to the good part. As me and Pete are getting to Glocks, his main problem was that it doesn't come with a safety. I told him now to worry about that because the safety is "between the ears". The co-worker, butts in AGAIN, and says, "well, I can draw and disengage the safety pretty fast." I say, "OH really?? Well, what pistol do you have?" He mumbles out CZ. I said, "WHAT?" He repeats it again. So, being annoyed already by his character, I wanted to see if he wanted a little gun knowledge battle royale! I challenged him and asked, "what is it?" He says, "Oh its an old gun, my dad gave it to me". I say, "I didn't ask how old was it, I asked what is it?" He didn't say much, so I preceded. "Is it a 75B, an 85, an 83, a 97?" "Is it Combat, Competition, Compact, or Tactical?" And I swear to you, if he said RAMI 2075, he would've had a cigarette burn because the RAMI is NOT old. He end up saying nothing but "I dunno". I said, "so your OWN dad gave you his gun so that his son could protect himself and yet you don't know what it is?" He said "Well, I am not going to keep it much, I am just waiting for my new one to come in." I just had to ask what it was. "He says, Colt..." and before he could answer, I said "Don't tell me, 1911 in some flashy finish like nickel platted". He looked puzzled and before he could ask, I said "you just look like the type."

Well, a couple minutes passed and me and my friends continued on our conversation while just ignoring him. Just like a fly, he ended up leaving. Sorry, I felt a sense of accomplishment.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    roflmao ... bt dt Dont mind the idiots , help whom you can .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

There's not a thing in the world wrong with not knowing about something, but to act like a pro, and have an attitude, looks like turn-about was justified. Maybe next time he will listen a little more, and maybe even ask a question or two first.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I did something very similar at my local gunshop not long ago. I was looking at some gun or other and this loudmouth kept insisting I should get a Springfield like he had. I finally had enough and asked what kind - he said "1911!" I said "yeh, but which model: GI, Mil-Spec, Loaded Fullsize, Champion....?" He quickly shut his trap and walked off. Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

Last time I went in to make a lay away payment the guy behind the counter greeted me by name. Come to think of it, he cuts me some pretty good deals on my guns now .... maybe there's a connection?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I did something very similar at my local gunshop not long ago. I was looking at some gun or other and this loudmouth kept insisting I should get a Springfield like he had. I finally had enough and asked what kind - he said "1911!" I said "yeh, but which model: GI, Mil-Spec, Loaded Fullsize, Champion....?" He quickly shut his trap and walked off. Sometimes ya' just gotta do what ya' gotta do.

Last time I went in to make a lay away payment the guy behind the counter greeted me by name. Come to think of it, he cuts me some pretty good deals on my guns now .... maybe there's a connection?
    Jack
    I got my HK USP at a cheap price by looking like I knew what I was doing. Little did the guy know, I was reading up everything I could find on HK the night before. It was originally $575, I stripped it apart, looked down the barrel, examined the frame. I put it back together and told him, "This gun is going to need new sights and a trigger job. So I will take it for $500 flat". Without a flinch, the guy said, "Okay".

When I was just beginning to look into handguns I ran into these two guys about ~23-26 that were cleaning their pistols. I told them I was in the market and asked them about their guns. They were Highpoints. These two guys were cocky and had an heir of righteousness about them because of their "really solid" pistols. They told me they had tried dozens of others but Highpoints were the best. They even said "most people own highpoints for personal protection".

haha needless to say I just walked away in utter disbelief at what I had just heard.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    When I was just beginning to look into handguns I ran into these two guys about ~23-26 that were cleaning their pistols. I told them I was in the market and asked them about their guns. They were Highpoints. These two guys were cocky and had an heir of righteousness about them because of their "really solid" pistols. They told me they had tried dozens of others but Highpoints were the best. They even said "most people own highpoints for personal protection".

haha needless to say I just walked away in utter disbelief at what I had just heard.
    Oh man! I live in a not so popular side of Houston and all you see are S&W Sigma's, Hi-Points, and GLOCKS.

Its so bad that I told this guy that I had an HK USP, he looked at me like I was lost and asked if its some new brand? I laughed and explained to him that theres more than GLOCK. He still believes that the S&W Sigma was THE pistol to have. So I told him, "If you really want a nice Smith and Wesson, get an M&P."

VIP Member
    LOL, yeah, btdt, know the type
    sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
    had a young buck behind a gun counter kept telling me that Glocks had been recalled because they were exploding, the 9mm was best round of them all, and some other junk....I just gave him a "certain" look and walked away
    I've been fortunate not to have that experience on a range (knocking on wood)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Oh man! I live in a not so popular side of Houston and all you see are S&W Sigma's, Hi-Points, and GLOCKS.

Its so bad that I told this guy that I had an HK USP, he looked at me like I was lost and asked if its some new brand? I laughed and explained to him that theres more than GLOCK. He still believes that the S&W Sigma was THE pistol to have. So I told him, "If you really want a nice Smith and Wesson, get an M&P."
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit...you seem kind of quick to add your impressions as well, so i'm not sure why you admonished the other guy so badly in your first post. I know plenty of guys that are heavy into guns. One I shoot with every week is in his 50's and owns three or four safes full of various handguns and rifles. If I were to tell him I got an HK USP Tactical, he'd want to know what it was and wouldn't have a clue. There's a big difference between knowing a lot about guns, and not knowing every model of gun on the market. You seem to jump to a lot of conclusions about people pretty quickly yourself. You blasted the guy about his comment about being able to draw and disengage the safety quickly... most people that are remotely trained with their firearm can disengage the safety DURING the draw, which doesn't really add any time.

Maybe i'm just getting the wrong impression from this, but you seem to have a bit of that know-it-all attitude yourself that you're blasting the other guy for.

I know alot of people have problems with their sigmas. I bought one because I was bored and had $275 bucks to blow on whatever I felt like. While the trigger leaves much to be desired, I have yet to have the gun malfunction. 2k+ rounds. It's hard to be accurate with it, but its a good weapon if you just want to go to the woods and shoot pop cans. They are cheap enough that you won't cry if dropped, scratched, dinged, or otherwise abused.
    (it doesn't like light reloads but that isn't the guns fault)

Besides the 1911 with flat MSH it is the most comforable griped gun i've shot. I know it's not a popular opinion but its mine.

The last time I was at the gunstore, there was a young LEO there and we got onto the topic of ammuntion. I apparently was mistaken in my beliefs and he was more than willing to inform me that there is nothing better than Corbon for JHP. And that it is the perfect round for both home defence and every-day-carry. All others fall short and must bow down before it. How silly of me.

There are times when you just have to smile and nod.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

There are those that Talk the Talk, and those that Walk the walk.
    And they will both be forever among us.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    Maybe i'm just getting the wrong impression from this, but you seem to have a bit of that know-it-all attitude yourself that you're blasting the other guy for.
    No I don't think you're getting the wrong impression. I guess in retrospect, yeah I did come off quick. But on the other hand, I don't like it when people don't just sit at a table with no manners, interrupt a conversion just to throw it off topic, and not look me in the eye when they're talking to me. So I guess when when we started talking about guns, I was probably already heated by that.

A side note, my friend "Kevin" is MUCH more knowledgeable than I am and I always love to listen. But he is the same, I guess, as your friend. If its a Colt or its pertaining to revolvers, he is THE man to go to. But when it is about semi-auto's or new technology he would actually call me up and I would have no problem talking to him about it.

No I don't think you're getting the wrong impression. I guess in retrospect, yeah I did come off quick. But on the other hand, I don't like it when people don't just sit at a table with no manners, interrupt a conversion just to throw it off topic, and not look me in the eye when they're talking to me. So I guess when when we started talking about guns, I was probably already heated by that.
    That's cool, I can understand that. If he's interjecting to be helpful, that's one thing. If you're being interrupted for no reason whatsoever, that gets old real quick. It sounds like the guy is one of those people that needs to be brought down a notch now and then. Not knowing the gun you're risking your life on is...well, stupid. Maybe your chiding will get him to educate himself a bit.

VIP Member
    He still believes that the S&W Sigma was THE pistol to have.
    Damn! you should posted earler! I could have sold him my Sigma Model Ninja Seal Paratrooper with stealth sights for $700.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Do all those glocks have The HoMeBoY NyTe SyTeS on them?
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links