GP100 carry options

GP100 carry options

This is a discussion on GP100 carry options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just passed carry class a week ago and now waiting for permit in mail. I bought a Ruger GP100 4" not to long ago. ...

Thread: GP100 carry options

GP100 carry options

I just passed carry class a week ago and now waiting for permit in mail. I bought a Ruger GP100 4" not to long ago. This is my first handgun. I am not familiar with my carry options and would like some advise on my options. I currently bought a bianchi holster owb strongside/ crossdraw, but I will not always be able to carry this way. Does anyone carry this gun and have some advise?

Thanks,

I have and its a big one to carry, but if you're determined....
    If you buy loose-cut jeans, and add 2" to the waist, you can IWB carry. I would suggest BladeTech, or other kydex, so you dan't add anymore bulk, and still have a holster that will stay open when your draw. Galco and Bianchi make nice shoulder holsters. Galco is probably a bit lower-profile and refined- it will also be more expensive.
    Good luck & welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Agape View Post
    I just passed carry class a week ago and now waiting for permit in mail. I bought a Ruger GP100 4" not to long ago. This is my first handgun. I am not familiar with my carry options and would like some advise on my options. I currently bought a bianchi holster owb strongside/ crossdraw, but I will not always be able to carry this way. Does anyone carry this gun and have some advise?

Thanks,
    http://www.kramerleather.com/
    I'm interested in getting an IWB from Kramer for my GP100 as I think if you want to carry it concealed that would be the way to go. Right now I only carry my GP100 loaded up with 357 mags when hiking in remote areas, (bear or lion country), and I use a fanny pack right over my belly because carrying it on my belt seems to give me fatigue in the hips when hiking or walking. The GP100 is heavy as you know. The Kramer holster will be about $115.00.

I've got one, but don't carry for concealed purposes, as I found it a bit large & heavy as compared to my other guns. When I do carry it hiking/hunting its in an OWB holster, strong side.

Prediction

I believe the Ruger GP100 with 4 inch barrel is roughly a 40 ounce gun with a healthy cylinder diameter. I would predict that you will soon grow weary of carrying and concealing such a large gun.

If you like Ruger revolvers in .357 magnum, why not consider the SP101 model with a 2 or 3 inch barrel? This is a 5 shot .357 which weighs 25 ounces, and is easy to conceal. They are reasonably priced and known for reliability.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into these. this is my only gun currently. and it will be a while before my next purshase. thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Agape View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into these. this is my only gun currently. and it will be a while before my next purshase. thank you again
    You chose a fine revolver. It can be carried concealed with the right holster and the right clothing.

I carry an N-Frame 4" Revolver 95% of the time I am off-duty.

It can be done, packing the big "hogleg", but it will take some work on your part. All my pants are 1"-2" larger in the waist and my shirts are one size too large. Since I wear buttun up short sleeve shirts this gives me a "relaxed" tourist look.

My best advice would be to find a custom holster maker that will make you a holster and belt. The little bit of extra attention they give to their products when making them goes a long way in providing good concealment.

Biker

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Agape, I carry a S&W Model 65 with a 4" barrel in an OWB holster and it conceals rather well under untucked t shirts and polos so long as the shirt has a little bit of drape.

The GP 100 is fractionally larger than a S&W K frame, but not enough to matter.

I recently ordered a K&D Cochise Defender IWB tuckable holster for my Model 65. With that holster, it will be even easier to hide the gun.

While K&D lists the GP100 3" under the list of guns for the Cochise, I have no doubt that Kevin can add a little length to it to accomodate the 4".

Talk to them: http://www.kdholsters.com/index.html

Your GP100 is a great first gun. Find a good quality belt (i.e. a belt designed for carrying a gun) and a holster that fits both belt and gun. Many of us have discovered that the action on Ruger double action revolvers will smooth up considerably after shooting a bit (and even dry firing).

I consider the GP a "general purpose" handgun. By that I mean that it will do duty as trail/woods gun, self-defense (concealed or otherwise) and even hunting. After you carry the GP awhile, you may consider a handgun more specialized for concealed carry, but I don't think you'll ever regret making the GP100 your first handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post

While K&D lists the GP100 3" under the list of guns for the Cochise, I have no doubt that Kevin can add a little length to it to accomodate the 4".

Talk to them: http://www.kdholsters.com/index.html
    I talked to Kevin about my 4 inch GP100 and he said that he would have to order a 4 inch dummy. He wasn't sure how long that would take. I passed on it for now. He is in the process of making an Eagle Defender for my 92 FS. About half-way there I believe!!!
    Tony

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I talked to Kevin about my 4 inch GP100 and he said that he would have to order a 4 inch dummy.
    I would have thought he could just use a wooden dowel 1" long???

Ruger GP100 3"

I carry a 3" GP100 with fixed sights. I carried for about 2 months IWB with a Ross holster and it was very uncomfortable and always shifting around on my hip. I carried it at about the 3 o'clock position, I couldn't find any other spot further back that concealed as well. Then I went with a Bianchi OWB that felt much better, never shifted but it let the grip hang out a little from my body. So then I bought a real gun belt, WOW! It made a big difference with the Bianchi by keeping the whole rig against my side better. It made a huge difference with the Ross holster by keeping it in place and it doesn't shift around when I'm walking. It isn't the most concealable revolver and I am going semi-auto when I can, but it is possible to carry somewhat comfortably. You do have to watch your shirts, make sure they are not too tight and be more careful reaching or bending if you carry OWB. The moral of my story is make sure you have a good gun belt. I use a 1.5" wilderness instructors with the polymer insert. I will be buying a leather belt soon too, for my suits.

-Kurt

Links