Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

This is a discussion on Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always tried to be aware of what's around me, call it street smarts I guess. But in the last couple of years that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

I have always tried to be aware of what's around me, call it street smarts I guess. But in the last couple of years that i have been carrying, my awareness level has increased a lot. Things like when I get home from work I take notice of strange cars in the area, check out my house as I pull up to park, look in both rear view mirrors before exiting my truck. These things are becoming more and more routine, so I find myself in condition Yellow more often. And it's very comfortable.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

2. Remove Ads

Its tuff to stay full yellow all day, but i try to be aware when im out.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I agree, if you stay in danger mode too long, without a break you'll burn yourself out...
    So true JD! You've got to give the old mind and soul a break from the very reason we all carry. Take it from one of the older fellows on this board, been there done that.

Stay safe but take a break on occassion!

Really I don't find it hard to do at all or tireing at all doing it all day. I get plenty of rest from it when I sleep I guess. I grew up hard on the streets thuogh so it's second nature to me. Maybe thats why.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    What alarms me the most is that I tend to go white when I'm concentrating on something I am considering buying. On the other hand, I was in a grocery store a couple months ago when someone struck my interest. As soon as I gave him the eye, I realized he was attempting to shoplift. When I got to the front of the store, 2 employees were discussing him.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Since 1994, I can't recall having found myself in the white, not even once. In fact, I've thwarted quite a number of actions against me simply by virtue of having the "radar" turned on continuously.

Before that time, however, fairly often. A few rather painful street incidents changed my mind about my own non-existent security sense. Better late than never.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

During my work day I find myself troubleshooting or diagnosing printer problems while on the way to my next service call. This makes me less aware of what's going on around me.

I've been a motorcyclist for almost fifty years, and being successful at that requires a high degree of awareness. I find that it transfers to most everything else I do. It's pretty automatic now.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    I've been a motorcyclist for almost fifty years, and being successful at that requires a high degree of awareness. I find that it transfers to most everything else I do. It's pretty automatic now.
    Same, here, though not for quite as long. Funny how transferrable that skill is, if you dig deep, let go, and allow it to really have it guide your actions.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    I grew up hard on the streets thuogh so it's second nature to me.
    Very True. When I lived in the Detroit, alertness was a survival skill. Darwin-style. Walk around oblivious very long and you'll be eaten. I've been in the burbs so long now that the skills have gotten weak.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

yes I confess I have......but then I woke up
    seriously though, I agree that if you try to maintain a high-level yellow (fading into orange lol) alert level that your brain will fry, I know mine does, you have to relax and take a break from it at the right time in the right place
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I was thinking about this the other day as I stood outside the PX smoking a cigarette, and I leaned back against the car and closed my eyes and let the sun beat down on me and in hailed and I was really relaxed. Then I thought hey I am not paying any attention to what is going on around me.

Then I thought again I am on Fort Sam that has rent a cops at all the gates, it is 2 O'Clock in the afternoon, and I am in the middle of the parking lot there is really no problem being in white.

Later that week I was on 6th street in Austin where I was out side a restaurant waiting for a business associate and the street was full of bikers, (not that I have anything against bikers) but I stayed yellow orange the whole time.

So do I go white sometimes yes in some areas!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I totally agree with JD's comment "White and a half". I frequently, especially when I'm in an area where I feel secure "Zone out" and go white minus. Unfortunately, very often, you hear of an occurance in just such a place. Mr. BG is not always stupid and often realizes where the pickin's are easier.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Uh, huh, what?

Oh yeah, sadly, yes. Spent my first three and a half decades living in blissful, ignorant White and have been improving since I began carrying over a year ago. Maybe in yelite, or whellow now.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Really ,I even sleep w/ my eyes open.............. And if you believe that I got a dancing banana I will sell ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links