Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white? - Page 3

Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

This is a discussion on Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have spent most of my adult life being alert. As a inner city paramedic, I have had to be. The one time I wasn't....I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

I have spent most of my adult life being alert. As a inner city paramedic, I have had to be. The one time I wasn't....I was knocked down a flight of stairs which caused me a life long injury. I was being teased about being too careful. I should have ignored the teasing and remained "too careful". I wouldn't be where I am today....which is on disability and not able to do much of what I had done all my life and enjoyed.
    NOW....I have to be even MORE alert, because I have been made the "target" victim for so many criminals. This is why I have my CCW and educate myself as much as possible about self defense.
    I live the slogan "I refuse to be a victim"....again.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I think I am naturally a condition "yellow" person. Since I was a kid my dad, a career military officer, taught me about situational awareness and beat it into my head. It comes naturally, but to say I never space out doing certain things would be a lie. However, I typically only go into white-ish if I am at my house or somewhere else pretty safe/secure.

I have always been told and have come to realize that I have some pretty awesome instincts. I have a really good ability to read people and "predict" certain things. That "little voice in my head" is rarely wrong and my dad also drilled into my head that I need to listen to that voice. So even when I am in "white-ish" mode I have those instincts---that have saved my #@% on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I have spent most of my adult life being alert. As a inner city paramedic, I have had to be. The one time I wasn't....I was knocked down a flight of stairs which caused me a life long injury. I was being teased about being too careful. I should have ignored the teasing and remained "too careful". I wouldn't be where I am today....which is on disability and not able to do much of what I had done all my life and enjoyed.
    NOW....I have to be even MORE alert, because I have been made the "target" victim for so many criminals. This is why I have my CCW and educate myself as much as possible about self defense.
    I live the slogan "I refuse to be a victim"....again.
    My gf has been razzing me about being "paranoid" now that I am going to be carrying my gun. She is completely cool with guns and the fact that I am going to be carrying, but she doesn't want me to carry ALL of the time. She keeps saying that I am being too paranoid and asks me in THAT tone "You aren't going to carry ALL of the time are you?"

I was starting to think I may have been going overboard with the whole personal protection/carrying thing. Thanks for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day as I stood outside the PX smoking a cigarette, and I leaned back against the car and closed my eyes and let the sun beat down on me and in hailed and I was really relaxed. Then I thought hey I am not paying any attention to what is going on around me.

Then I thought again I am on Fort Sam that has rent a cops at all the gates, it is 2 O'Clock in the afternoon, and I am in the middle of the parking lot there is really no problem being in white.

Later that week I was on 6th street in Austin where I was out side a restaurant waiting for a business associate and the street was full of bikers, (not that I have anything against bikers) but I stayed yellow orange the whole time.

So do I go white sometimes yes in some areas!
    I went white once, but it was my blood pressure dropping a bit...;-) Where I am from, it is not the bikers you have to worry about, and BTW, I do ride. Even got some of that biker leather and some shirts to make me look mean..8) Here, a bit more concern from the Urban types and those who drift from south of the border.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links