Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

This is a discussion on Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On several occasions, I've caught myself having my head in the clouds, or looking dead straight while I'm driving, and I would actually catch myself ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Has anyone else caught themselves being in condition white?

On several occasions, I've caught myself having my head in the clouds, or looking dead straight while I'm driving, and I would actually catch myself being in condition white. Sometimes while walking down the street in public, I would be completely oblivious to my surroundings as thoughts run through my head. I've been trying to break these bad habits, and be more aware of what's going on around me. I still often times catch myself being in conditon white. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I alone?

Moderator: If you'd like, u can move this to the proper forum, my apologies for posting this in the wrong forum.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

In my experience, it impossible to be on high alert all the time. There are times I will go into condition white, but not usually while driving or walking home from work at night.

The key is to determine when it is ok to be in white, and when you need to be in yellow.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    In my experience, it impossible to be on high alert all the time. There are times I will go into condition white, but not usually while driving or walking home from work at night.

The key is to determine when it is ok to be in white, and when you need to be in yellow.
    I agree, if you stay in danger mode too long, without a break you'll burn yourself out...

While on the road, I zone out quite often, but I usually knock down over a thousand miles a month. I still keep aware of my surroundings, not really white or yellow, but somewhere in the middle.

When I first started carrying I was in yellow most of the time and it made me quite the "stiff" individual.

To be totally honest, I don't believe in the whole white/yellow/red deal, it's too set in stone by alot of people.

I suppose that I'm normally in a white and a half state, I'm aware, but not on edge..

White usually means un aware, yellow means that you suspect somehitng or that your alerted, red means it's about to or has hit the fan.

To me there's either: Aware of your surroundings or being totally oblivious.

I'd say that aware is a combination of all 3 of the colors, kind of like a pale orange

Lead Moderator
    Yep, .............or maybe not. Having good situational awareness sometimes I wonder if I am just relaxed in condition yellow or spacing out.
    I think at some point we all tend to space out. Our body and mind need some R&R .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think every day when I get into the office I go into condition white. Haha!

I find it very relaxing in cond yellow. I'm more comfortable being aware.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Guilty. Generally much more so in the suburbs than anywhere around work (Downtown Detroit).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    It can happen however hard we try I think - and I'll example that by ''task fixation'' - something I am ever more aware of as a possible ''white maker''.

Using a cell - light a smoke - many things can if we are not careful take us out of yellow, long enough perhaps to matter.

Perhaps this sits a shade better in the Concealed Carry issues forum.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't consider myself bipolar generally, but when it comes to 'Def Con' (as I call it) I am capable of a duality that sometimes defies description, much like JD explained above.

I am a fairly calm person, I am also an 'over-thinker'.

I may appear to be like a duck gliding across a pond, on the surface. But just below that calm exterior I am processing, processing, processing. Like the duck is paddling crazily.

Thus, I am in condition white and condition orange simultaneously.

I appear calm and congenial, inside I am sizing you up as a threat.

My guess is most of us here are like that, capable of hiding the condition orange or yellow with a condition white veneer.

It's called camouflage.

I'm pretty much white anytime I am at work.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    it happens. I commute about 30min to work on back country roads, and it's very easy to just go on autopilot. Usually, the act of realizing I'm not paying close enough attention to what's around me pulls me back into full awareness, though.

When I'm around people, I very seldom am in condition white. I won't say never, but it's become a habit to scan the room whenever I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I may appear to be like a duck gliding across a pond, on the surface. But just below that calm exterior I am processing, processing, processing. Like the duck is paddling crazily.
    Ummm, bad guys are like poachers. They'll happily shoot you outside of season. [/lame attempt at being a wise guy]
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I believe that outside of my own secured space, yellow is where to be until a higher level of awareness is called for. If the time comes that I cannot (reasonably) secure my space, then it is time to get a different space.

Decades ago when I went to work for the Bell System, they were one of the first to teach three rules for safety behind the wheel and everywhere else. They were:

1. Keep your eyes moving.
    2. Get the big picture.
    3. Leave yourself an out.

This is my goal but one that is not fully realized yet.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    I find myself in the white quite often then realize maybe I should have been more aware. I'm always aware when in a parking lot or out at night or standing in a bank. I've caught myself being "in the white" when waiting in a fast food place which kinda startles me when I realize it.. I think it's normal to be relaxed at times.

VIP Member
    I confess, it happens to me more often than I like.

When I suddenly wake up from "white" and realize I went there unintentionally I tend to get a little upset with myself.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links