Interesting LEO encounter today - Page 2

Interesting LEO encounter today

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO encounter today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes Military commanders tend to be rather anti-gun. A prime example is Alaska where a post commander has decided that none ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting LEO encounter today

Lightbulb Not in MY day!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Military commanders tend to be rather anti-gun. A prime example is Alaska where a post commander has decided that none of his soldiers may carry on post or off. I don't want to give them any ideas. Waivers are not currently an option.
    I used to carry on Fort Lewis 1981-84 all the time. I remember when BG Dozier was attacked by terrorists in Italy in like 1983. At the time I was working for the G4 (Logistics) as a staff puke -- Plans & Ops weenie. We had a special counter terrorism briefing held by members of MOSSAD (Israeli Intelligence) on how to recognize bombs and how to spot potential terrorist surveillance of targets. This was almost 20 years before 911. At the time the Div CG (IIRC, Major General Elton) said that all officers on the staff who had CCW permits were encouraged to carry at work! So, I did.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Was at Lewis last summer for BNCOC; course info specified no weapons. We've come a long way.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Not policy, USC Title 18 930. I disagree with the interpretation, but I'm not about to find out the hard way.

Military commanders tend to be rather anti-gun. A prime example is Alaska where a post commander has decided that none of his soldiers may carry on post or off. I don't want to give them any ideas. Waivers are not currently an option.

My plan has been to propose a bill that would allow federal employees to carry using the fixed place of business standard, or amend subsection D (3) to specify self defense.
    (d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
    ------------------------------------------------
    if you are a soldier, as shown above, the USC doesn't apply to you. it leaves the call up to the base commander. every base i've been to has a specific policy by the base commander outlining the use and storage of privately owned weapons because of this.

the general trend that i've seen is that the weapons must be cased, in the trunk of the car or rear of an SUV, and separated from the ammunition.

i'd check all the commander's policy letters up the chain. it sounds like this may have slipped through the cracks because it's a reserve unit with people spread out all over. if that's the case, ask your local commander to make a policy that supports your needs. i wouldn't risk doing it without that, especially with the numbskull security officer you've been talking to working at an echelon above you.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Its not only a commander's policy, its also an Army Regulation (as well as Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps regulations), which specifically prohibit the carrying of personal weapons on military property (the 18 USC would apply to civilians who came into the facility).

There is not a RSC (Reserve Support Command) that has not implimented a policy, and they each cover even LEOs off duty even carrying issued weapons. This has been argued time and time again, all the way up to the Pentagon, and it still is up held.

However, a unit commander can issue a concealed carry card, (for the Army it is called a DA Form 2818) that will allow members of his command to carry issued government weapons concealed on their persons. If the commander wants to stick their neck out, he/she can issue the DA Form 2818 without listing the specific weapon listed, and it would give the person it is issued to the ability to carry any weapon on their person.

This is covered in Army Regulation 190-14 (the weapons card is listed in Chapter 2-4).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

that AR outlines general policy for security personnel and LEO's...not the general soldier populace. i just read it and didn't see anything that would limit what he's wanting to do (park his car in the parking lot with a gun in it). we aren't talking about a CCW here.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I genuinely appreciate the advice given here, but until I see something official that specifically allows me in intent and in practice to have a firearm in the parking lot, I'm not going to do it.

Everything I've read demonstrates intent to prohibit firearms other than those used in official capacity (eg subsection D (2)). My career and CCH are not worth the risk.

Loopholes are not an option; playing ignorant is not an option; special treatment from the commander is not an option.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links