Interesting LEO encounter today

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO encounter today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background: I work in an Army Reserve Center in a rural area. The guy in charge of security (in an office 300 miles away) has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting LEO encounter today

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Background:
    I work in an Army Reserve Center in a rural area. The guy in charge of security (in an office 300 miles away) has interpreted federal law to say that only cops can have guns on the property, including the non-enclosed parking lot. So I park on the soft shoulder of the road outside, and leave my piece locked inside (small price to pay to be in the Army).

Most of the people I work with are aware I carry (otherwise why would I park there) and the rest are just not that smart (I tell them I park there for exercise; technically not a lie).

This morning I was out having a pipe and a coworker informed me the police were ticketing my truck (that's what they said). I went out to check, I don't want to park there if it's illegal but thus far I've had no indication it was. They were gone when I got there; they left no clues as to their interest.

I figured they might think the vehicle was abandoned since it was in the same spot every day. After lunch I moved it.

End of the day I walk out to the truck and notice a car pull to the shoulder on the opposite side of the road; notice the stealth lights in the back window; instead of getting in the truck I wait patiently for him to make his U-turn.

Me:"I figured you were coming to talk to me"
    Sheriff: "Yeah, I drive by here every day cuz I live just down the road, and I was just wondering why you always park out here. Do they not like you or something?"
    Me: "No, I have a firearm in the vehicle and federal law prohibits me from taking it into the parking lot"
    Sheriff: "Don't they have weapons in there? That doesn't make any sense"
    Me: "Well those are Army weapons so they're OK"
    Sheriff: "So are you security here?"
    Me: "No, I just have a concealed carry license so I take it to and from work"

Exchange of pleasantries, and we both departed.

Not really exciting but my first LEO encounter since I started carrying.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Welcome to the wonderful world of LEOs being cordial to you once they realize you are a fine and upstanding citizen...

I don't think a HCP is a 'get out of jail' card, but in certain situations it lets LEOs know that you are inclined to be responsible.

Administrator
    Glad that worked out for you and on the plus side he'll probably keep half an eye on your truck for you now when he passes by.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Sheriff: "Yeah, I drive by here every day cuz I live just down the road, and I was just wondering why you always park out here. Do they not like you or something?"
    I LOL'd! no..really.. of course, me being the perpetual smart-aleck.. I was expecting the next line to be:

Me: "No, I don't shower enough for them" or some other smart-aleck answer..

I agree with QK, he'll probably keep an eye on your truck as he drives by now..

Assistant Administrator
    Nice encounter but sorta crazy the reason it happened that way - meaning the way you have to plan parking just to be legal.

However, better that I guess than having nothing with you when you travel. Shucks, the way some folks have to adapt just to stay legal and yet still exercize their rights.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"Don't they have weapons in there? That doesn't make any sense"
    Good observation!

"Well those are Army weapons so they're OK"

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

"Well those are Army weapons so they're OK"
    Kinda of funny isn't it? While in the Air Force I had access to AGMs, full-autos, ect....but once I removed my BDUs I was no longer responsible enough to carry a weapon.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

VIP Member
    Courtesy begets courtesy. Well… most of the time!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree that he'll probably be watching your vehicle for you when he drives by.

All in all, a good encounter.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    A great encounter. No muss , no fuss.
    The LEO should be checking out a car all by itself on the side of the road by a Federal Installation.
    And hey, you made a friend.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

security officers doesn't make policy, only commanders do. commander's rely on their staff for input, and sometimes delegate some authority to them, but he's the one that signs off on policy overall. write up a request for waiver to the commander and let him know your circumstances. good luck.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Not policy, USC Title 18 930. I disagree with the interpretation, but I'm not about to find out the hard way.

Military commanders tend to be rather anti-gun. A prime example is Alaska where a post commander has decided that none of his soldiers may carry on post or off. I don't want to give them any ideas. Waivers are not currently an option.

My plan has been to propose a bill that would allow federal employees to carry using the fixed place of business standard, or amend subsection D (3) to specify self defense.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Not policy, USC Title 18 930. I disagree with the interpretation, but I'm not about to find out the hard way.

Military commanders tend to be rather anti-gun. A prime example is Alaska where a post commander has decided that none of his soldiers may carry on post or off. I don't want to give them any ideas. Waivers are not currently an option.

My plan has been to propose a bill that would allow federal employees to carry using the fixed place of business standard, or amend subsection D (3) to specify self defense.
    My last 2 years on active duty I lived in housing on a base with a big sign at the entrance, saying "No Alcoholic Beverages, No Firearms, No Cameras". Of course, I had all 3 in my house on base, and they sell alcoholic beverages and cameras in the exchange, and serve alcohol in the club!

I didn't have a CCW license at the time, so the gun was safely locked away and I never went in and out the gate with it on me or in my vehicle. I still work on that base as a civilian, and have a CCW license now. But I NEVER carry there. By entering the base, you give consent to have your vehicle searched. In fact, just last week I was randomly pulled over at the gate for a drug dog to sniff around my car. Yes, I passed! Like my CCW License demonstrates, I'm a solid citizen.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'm glad the encounter went well. However your security guy is wrong. Per Army Regs, not even police officers are allowed to carry armed in a reserve facility, if their collecting points or pay. I've argued this time and time again. My last reserve unit was an Army CID unit made up of local, county, state and federal LEOs and only the federal ones were "legal" when carrying in the facility.

However, dont rock the boat, if he's letting them do it, good for them.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    It was good for the LEO to check you out, glad it went well.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links