Youth pastor shoots man during firecracker stand attack

This is a discussion on Youth pastor shoots man during firecracker stand attack within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Searched and didn't find this anywhere else. Also this was NRANEWS.COM hero of the day. The pastor was interviewed on Cam & Company, the youth ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Searched and didn't find this anywhere else. Also this was NRANEWS.COM hero of the day. The pastor was interviewed on Cam & Company, the youth group had been running a firework stand for 5 years. The pastor said the stand was a large tent that contained $40K in fireworks and equipment. This was the second attempt to rob the stand, the first time a smaller group was scared off by a flash light. The second time, when the shooting occured, the criminals returned in a larger group. The pastor was a former reserve police officer and a CCW permit holder.

http://www.fox23.com/news/state/stor...f-d05ed559e216

MUSKOGEE, Okla. (AP) - A youth pastor from Wagoner shot and wounded a Muskogee man who he says was part of a group attacking him at a firecracker stand.

Darnell Gilbert is in good condition today at a Tulsa hospital after being shot in the chest by Pastor Charles Donnelly of the Wagoner Church of God early yesterday morning in Muskogee.

Police say Gilbert is one of at least two adults and four juveniles who went to the stand about 3 Sunday morning and attacked Donnelly and a 17-year-old who were keeping watch on the stand. The 17-year-old was treated and released at a Muskogee hospital.

Muskogee police say they've arrested four juveniles and two adults - including Gilbert - for the attack.

Donnelly says the youth group is shutting down the firecracker stand.

Also; http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/local...176012934.html

Intruder shot at church fireworks stand

By Donna Hales
    Phoenix Staff Writer

A Muskogee man was stable following surgery for a gunshot wound to the chest Sunday in connection with an assault at a church firecracker stand.

Police got a condition report on Darnell Gilbert from a Tulsa hospital about 9 p.m. Sunday.

Darnell Gilbert was shot about 3 a.m. Sunday by Wagoner Church of God Youth Pastor Charles Donnelly, 44. Donnelly and a 17-year-old member of his youth group were staying all night at the stand when a group of about five or six individuals arrived in one vehicle, he said.

The group had been to the stand about 20 minutes earlier, seemingly casing the firecracker stand, Donnelly said. But at the 3 a.m. visit, several individuals went into the back of the large tent stand, where the juvenile was, Donnelly said.

The youth was attacked and hit in the mouth, knocked down and then rolled outside the tent, screaming for help.

“Three subjects rushed Donnelly about that same time, who was outside the tent,” said Muskogee Assistant Police Chief Johnny Teehee.

“I shot — I was in fear of my life and Daniel’s life — I feel I did what I had to do,” Donnelly said in a Sunday night phone interview. “I’m angry. I’m glad he (Gilbert) is going to be OK but angry they put me in that position.”

The youth was taken to Muskogee Regional Medical Center and later released, Donnelly said.

“Daniel is going to be all right — he’s home. He’s got a dental appointment — he has some trouble with his teeth and mouth.”

Teehee said four juveniles are in custody in connection with the attack and one adult.

Donnelly said he had to spend some time as a reserve officer, completed state law enforcement training and had pulled a weapon before.

“I just never was in a position where I had to shoot anyone before,” Donnelly said.

Donnelly fired a 40-cal. handgun, the same size gun police carry, Teehee said.

It was the youth group’s second year to have their firecracker stand at K-Mart and their third year to have it in Muskogee without incident. Donnelly said he had been with the company five or six years and never had a problem.

He said they shut down their stand after the incident and called the company to come after the fireworks — which they did.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks clacky, I was adding that when you posted.
    Last edited by pogostick; June 28th, 2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: to add another article.

yeah.. good story.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Sad to hear the bad guys drove them to shut down the stand.

They had a small interview with the pastor on the Tulsa news and the reporter treated him really well, and the story was not made to sound like he was at fault....
    God Bless America!!

Glad things are going alright for the pastor and he isn't being painted as the BG. On a side note, I wish my church's youth group sold fireworks back when I was a member. Puberty and pyrotechnics!

Yep, too bad it happened, but at least its being treated as a clean shoot so far.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Glad things are going alright for the pastor and he isn't being painted as the BG. On a side note, I wish my church's youth group sold fireworks back when I was a member. Puberty and pyrotechnics!
    Hah. I am not sure whats cooler: the fact they had a fireworks stand at a church,or the fact the preacher was 'strapped'.

Johnny Teehee?

Wow, there's a name I'm glad I don't have.

I am happy that the Pastor defended himself and the fellow members of his Church. I wish the BG's didn't run them out of business. Now you got to ask yourself what in the heck is going on in Bowling Green, that these good people are getting attacked on numerous occasions.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Administrator

Good Story - Thanks for posting it.

That's what it's all about.
    You are faced with a real "life threatening" situation.
    The scenario is real. The bad guys are VERY real and they want to do you harm.
    Your life is in potential deadly peril and you do what you must do to protect your life and the lives of innocent people who are at risk.
    That is why the firearm is the great equalizer.
    In qualified hands...it allows good people to go home instead of going to the grave.
    That is why we carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lesson #124 for thugs: Mess with a man of God, and he might arrange a personal visit for you with him. I sure hope the young punks learn a lesson about life after watching what can happen if you go down that path in life, and change their ways.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Hah. I am not sure whats cooler: the fact they had a fireworks stand at a church,or the fact the preacher was 'strapped'.
    Count me as one of those "Strapped" youth pastors and yes mine is a .40 as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogostick View Post

Donnelly fired a 40-cal. handgun, the same size gun police carry, Teehee said.

It was the youth groupís second year to have their firecracker stand at K-Mart and their third year to have it in Muskogee without incident.
    Same as the police. Seems we've heard that advice before...

I would argue that the third year wasn't quite without incident!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Donnelly fired a 40-cal. handgun, the same size gun police carry, Teehee said
    Why was this editorial comment necessary?

What if the handgun had been a 357 Magnum (oooh, a Magnum!!!) or a 45 ACP (BIGGER than what the cops carry!!).

Can't have a story free of yellow journalism, now can we?

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    I am happy that the Pastor defended himself and the fellow members of his Church. I wish the BG's didn't run them out of business. Now you got to ask yourself what in the heck is going on in Bowling Green, that these good people are getting attacked on numerous occasions.
    This happened in Muskogee, OK, not Bowling Green, KY.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links