Personal Security after an incident

This is a discussion on Personal Security after an incident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading the Subway shooting I began to think about the possibility of retaliation from the BG's or friends there of. I'm wondering is there ...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

After reading the Subway shooting I began to think about the possibility of retaliation from the BG's or friends there of.

I'm wondering is there a way to keep your name out of the media?

If not it seams like it would be a good idea to be a virtual ghost, by not having a listed phone number.

Anything else I'm not thinking of.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Not that it will do much good, but put your phone # into Google. When it comes up you should have the ability to remove your address from it.

Unfortunately, the BGs get enough computer training in grade school and free access at the library that if they want to find someone's address they can. Its darn hard to be anonymous with the web anymore.

Getting a dog for a warning system, taking normal precautions, and doing a little training with the family on what to do in different scenarios around the house should help with safety.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Administrator
    Set up a trust to purchase your anything you have a lien on... such as cars or homes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't know if there is anything you can do to keep out of the media. I think Sixto has a point in protecting assets from legal retaliation. Don't live your life in fear and paranoia. But keep vigilant in matters of security and reprisals.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I don't know if there is anything you can do to keep out of the media. I think Sixto has a point in protecting assets from legal retaliation. Don't live your life in fear and paranoia. But keep vigilant in matters of security and reprisals.
    not only that, but it keeps your name and address of the 'net. Its very easy to find people who owe money on big ticket items.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i don't think there's a way to avoid your name being in the media if it's on the police report (which is supposedly public access).

DakotaRanger,

We do not have a phone number or even phone service of any sort to our home. The phone lines here are from the 1800s and are completely dead as originally installed literally by the Alexander Graham Bell Telegraph & Telephone company. An install card signed then by the installer remains nailed to a board near the junction box in my basement.
    Instead we use in addition to cellular dual VoIP phone services run on top of a broadband account. Our number is not find able and we've been told so multiple times by neighbors who have tried to look us up and/or call.
    Nor are we or our lives detailed on the Net, contrary to our neighbors and many friends who think this it odd that we don't desire to have a family blog,our resumes, listing of education, and post all of our info and full names on the internets.
    Our general policy is you'll have our number/resume/info if we ourselves give you our number/resume/info. Before VoIP we had our landline number not only unlisted in the phone book but paid an extra monthly fee to Verizon to have it not listed in their operator record either. Just ask as they provide this service for persons who for example might have a restraining order in play or other reasons toward privacy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I'm like Janq. A Google search of my name will net a lot of info about other people with a name similar to mine, but very, very little about me. Same goes for phone books.

About the only way is for someone to know my full name and do a paid credit record search or such.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I highly suggest two things to folks who carry. One is an "umbrella insurance police for 1 Mil (not that expensive just ask your insurance agent) and second is if your ever involved in a shooting with anyone move into a hotel for the first two to three days afterwards.

All of the agencies I have worked with make it policy to park a officer/agent outside the home of the involved officer to provide security for the family for the first week atleast.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Sure

You can pay extra to hide; but, a Google search is just a cheap search to find info. If someone knows your name, they can find out tons of info about you with very little effort. I've proved it to a lot of peolple that I work with that go to a great extent to hide their info. I'm only partially successfull in hiding my info. I'm also a computer idiot and I really don't waste my time looking at things.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    One of the advantages of living in a big urban area and having a common name is anonimity by numbers. Last time I checked the white pages there were almost 300 individuals with my first and last name.... beauty is the phone numer is not even in my name.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Guys.....they wont need Google to find you. They can get a copy of the police report the next working day (2nd working day at the latest) which will have your full name, address, date of birth, drivers license number, place of employment and possibly the name of your next of kin, by simply sending someone into the offices of the agency which worked the case. Its called the Freedom of Information Act.

One very nice thing about being in my line of work, is that they dont release our names after an incident.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Links