Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

This is a discussion on Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take your friend to the zoo and let him see how big and strong bears are. I would not want to go hand to hand ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

Take your friend to the zoo and let him see how big and strong bears are. I would not want to go hand to hand with a small black bear. They are fast!!!

Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    With all due respect, your "friend" is a fool of the highest order.

No gun = no wilderness trip. No exceptions.

While any kind of bear can kill you, grizzlies are more dangerous than black bear. It pays to do two things. First, wear little bells on your person, and carry pepper spray. The bells may frighten away the bears and if not go to the pepper spray.

The second thing is to know what kinds of bears are in the area. Look for bear skat. If you find bear "poo" and it has remnants of bugs berries and rabbit fur it is probably a black bear. If if it smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it, it is a grizzly!

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    While any kind of bear can kill you, grizzlies are more dangerous than black bear. It pays to do two things. First, wear little bells on your person, and carry pepper spray. The bells may frighten away the bears and if not go to the pepper spray.

The second thing is to know what kinds of bears are in the area. Look for bear skat. If you find bear "poo" and it has remnants of bugs berries and rabbit fur it is probably a black bear. If if it smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it, it is a grizzly!
    HA HA! Thats funny, but as far as I know, we don't have grizzlies in MI, not the Lower Peninsula (to clarifymy original post, we'd be going to the Northern LP, the Upper peninsula is pretty much a different state to us southern michiganders).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post

Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

You don't need a knife or a gun.. all it takes to defeat a bear is a little stick, right? (well..if you're a former Marine, it just takes a stick.. us normal folk would be better suited to a gun)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    LBrombach
    My wife is a Yooper and we travel up their often, so I understand what you mean about another state in the U.P. If I were you I would worry more about the big cat then the cuddly little bears up there. I agree with those that say to get permission before carrying on his parents property. If denied permission stay home and stay safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Black bear are rarely predatory but, sometimes they are.

A Black bear up on it's hind legs is checking you out. That is a curiosity thing more than anything else.

A Blackie that is snapping his jaws while shifting its body weight side to side and making strange/odd noises is telling you that you are in his personal space and that you really need to go away.

When the bear puts his head down and his ears are way back then you are in danger.
    You had best already be ready to shoot it because you'll run out of time VERY QUICKLY once you wait for it to begin an aggressive charge at you.

Lead Moderator
    Very unlikely a bear will attack. Most bears will high tail it out before you even see em. I live in a small town in N. Lwr MI . I have seen a total of 2 bears in my life . I hunt ,hike, camp and fish up here year round.
    If you are bringing a gun for bears make it a long gun and big.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I'd man up and use my bare hands. Enjoy the great outdoors and become a real mountain man (less the mountains)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bear Avoidance

Most bears would rather avoid contact with humans, so if the bear knows of your presence, you probably won't ever see the bear. Experienced outdoorsmen suggest wearing little jingle bells on your clothing so that you make noise as you walk, alerting bears to avoid you. You might also carry a can of bear repellant, sold in hunting most supply outlets.

Also, know how to recognize signs of bear activity in your part of the woods. The best way is to look for bear droppings. Black bears leave relatively small piles that typically contain remains of berries, fish and insects. Grizzly droppings are characterized by a larger relative size, contain jingle bells and smell of bear repellant.

Lots of bruins at our place in-da-Up. Wife saw four just the other day out the back door (2 adults, a cub, and a younger one).

Be aware of your surroundings. Don't get between a sow and her cub(s). Make some noise as you go about your business, carry some spray if you wish. A pop can with some pennies or pebbles makes some good racket too.

Bears (at least yooper bears) are not really predators. I'd be more worried about one of the "400" wolves or the big cats "that don't exsist" personally. Bumped into a wolf last deer season....now THAT'S a predator.

You need smarter friends!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My understanding seems to be contrary to what I'm hearing here. From what I've read it seems a black bear is more likely to kill you to death, while a grizzly will tear you up a bit and then leave you bleeding in the middle of nowhere. Either way, a gun seems like a reasonable thing to bring along. Especially with bear and cats in the area! +1 on asking to bring it, although I imagine if his parents are alive and have seen bear scat outside their house, they aren't anti-gun.

Austin

Distinguished Member
    It just boggles the mind. Just boggles it. I first started carrying because I hike a lot and there are mountain lions and a few bears sprinkled here and there. We had a huge stink here in Tucson a couple years ago when the Game Warden was going to thin the mountain lion poplulation: death threats, chaining themselves to the warden's office, getting between the lions and the game wardens. Huggers literally said that it would be better for a child to be snatched off a path vs harming a creature of Mother Earth. They were just doing what Nature taught them to do. God help us.
    Oh, and a knife vs. a bear!? Someone's smoking doobies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links