Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says - Page 3

Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

This is a discussion on Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aus71383 My understanding seems to be contrary to what I'm hearing here. From what I've read it seems a black bear is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    My understanding seems to be contrary to what I'm hearing here. From what I've read it seems a black bear is more likely to kill you to death, while a grizzly will tear you up a bit and then leave you bleeding in the middle of nowhere. Either way, a gun seems like a reasonable thing to bring along. Especially with bear and cats in the area! +1 on asking to bring it, although I imagine if his parents are alive and have seen bear scat outside their house, they aren't anti-gun.

Austin
    Kill you to death? How many other ways to death are there other than being killed? I think you mean mauled...

Who knows? I don't want to find out

Austin

My apologies to Puppy. I repeated his joke about black bear vs grizzly bear droppings. I can be such a social bore.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says. [W]e're going up to northern MI to his folks place ... What do I say to this guy? I don't want to ask to bring a gun, (sometime better to ask forgiveness than permission right?).
    If he knows you carry, particularly if you're in the professional role of reporting to him at your place of business, you've got a real problem that affects your income if he takes it badly.

I'm uncertain of Michigan's laws, with respect to bringing a firearm into a private residence or onto private property. I'm assuming it's your own business to carry and to keep it quiet.

My suggestion, assuming he already knows you carry: Have a sit-down talk with him, explaining that you carry for the unexpected and you won't be unarmed when going to the wilderness. Since it's his parents' place, perhaps even going so far to gain their permission might be worth doing. If he'd like to invite you with that caveat, then so be it. If not, then so be it. But, if you go you'll be armed.

The only reason I suggest doing any of this is because of the professional, "reporting" relationship you have with this guy at your business. Othewise, carry and be happy you're well protected, as nobody needs to know.

The last thing you want to do is get into a risky situation with any predators with nothing but your waggling finger and a non-functional cell phone as a method of defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Leave the gun and the knife at home. Bring your cell phone.

Lead Moderator
    If you are driving , maybe leave the gun in the trunk? I think you are way too worried about bear attacks. It is rare anywhere, an really rare in MI.

"Although black bears are large and powerful animals, they are not normally aggressive toward man. Black bear attacks are responsible for only three deaths in Michigan, the most storied attack occurring in the Eastern U.P. on July 7th, 1948 - A three year old girl was playing on the porch of the family cabin when she was snatched by a black bear, carried into the bush, and partly eaten."

here is the whole article and more info
    http://www.geocities.com/amytys/MiBears.htm
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

all you really need is a knife if a bear starts chasing you. trick is to stab your "buddy" that doesn't want you to carry in the leg.

Thanks to one and all for the input. A few scattered responses:

Quote Originally Posted by obxned
    You need smarter friends!
    TRUE!

Quote Originally Posted by aznav
    Oh, and a knife vs. a bear!? Someone's smoking doobies.
    He will neither confirm nor deny anything!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    If he knows you carry, particularly if you're in the professional role of reporting to him at your place of business, you've got a real problem that affects your income if he takes it badly.
    I see why you'd bring it up, and thank you. However, while he occasionally directs me at work he is not really in a position of power over me, if that makes sense. Nor do I think he'd bring personal stuff to work. He might be unhappy with me, but were good enough friends not to hate eachother over stuff like this. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    I'm uncertain of Michigan's laws, with respect to bringing a firearm into a private residence or onto private property. I'm assuming it's your own business to carry and to keep it quiet.
    True in MI

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I think you are way too worried about bear attacks. It is rare anywhere, an really rare in MI.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I really started this thread because HE mentioned that a bear attack was a concern to him, and thought y'all would get a kick out of his solution for defense. I prefer to be armed in the woods anyway, because there are a handful of longshots (including 2 legged predators) that add up, but bears really are down low on the list. Not to mention the police response time up there are what? If they find me at all they'll get there the next morning? Maybe I've seen deliverance once too many times. Actually, I've seen it once, so yes, I've seen it one too many times:)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Brings up that commercial on Smirnoff Ice or something where the bears come upon two guys at a river and one dude turns and squirts a whole bottle of honey on his buddy as a distraction for the bears and then takes off running away...

That cracked me up everytime I saw it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Tell him: Sure I'll have a knife, hanging on the inside wall of the APC I'll be driving.
    Jack

I'm inclined (and do) take ALL. Take gun, take knife, and take OC. I don't play around anymore out in the wilderness. I made the mistake once of not properly stowing away my dinner leftovers...Needless to say it was a long night....never again.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would MUCH rather bring a Bear to a Knife Fight than a Knife to a Bear Fight.

Davey Crockett
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I would MUCH rather bring a Bear to a Knife Fight than a Knife to a Bear Fight.

Davey Crockett

Unfortunately, bears aren't very concealable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links