Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

This is a discussion on Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a buddy of mine, who is a former Army National Guardsmen and is kind of anti (non-campaigning, but generally blames guns for our murder ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring a knife to a bear fight, he says

So a buddy of mine, who is a former Army National Guardsmen and is kind of anti (non-campaigning, but generally blames guns for our murder rates). Anyway, other than this we get along quite well, and we're going up to northern MI to his folks place to look for meteors and do some aastronomy (I know I'm a nerd, but thats for a different thread). This guy knows I carry, and is at times kind of my superviser at work. Whenever he tells me do something, he changes his tune and asks nicely "please do this or that, but only if you feel like it, and please don't shoot me." We joke about everything and I accept this as more joking.

Back to our "joint expedition": He tells me quite seriously: "Make sure you bring a good knife, there really are bears around here, they've left poo and tracks right outside the house and my dad saw a jaguar" (or Mt Lion or whatever big cat we have, I was kind lost with the "Bring a knife to a bear fight" comment.

What do I say to this guy? I don't want to ask to bring a gun, (sometime better to ask forgiveness than permission right?). But I don't want to be disrepectful either. I know a deadly animal encounter is unlikely, but they do happen. And if this guy is caught out there that bear is gonna use his knife for a toothpick.

I guess I already know what I'm gonna do, unless you guys talk me out of it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

bring it, would you rather be bear food or have an argument with a friend, and if he is a real friend he'll understand
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

JD
    Administrator
    Take the gun. And make it a BIG one. Does your pal have any objections on long guns?

I would ask his parents permission to carry on their property and if they decline I would respectfully decline the invitation

I would ask if he minds. I would rather be prepared than have to depend on a knife. If I remember Brad Pitts charater in Legend of the Fall dies by fighting a bear in the woods with a knife.

In addition to gun, how about bear spray (OC or other irritant)? Gun concealed, bear spray in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Take the gun. And make it a BIG one. Does your pal have any objections on long guns?
    Good question. Now that you mention it a 9mm is a bit shy of what most bear hunters would use...I guess if I take the handgun I'll go with the 16rd mags instead of the 10rd I usually carry.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

to me bear = .45 long colt or .44mag minimum. 357 if you are feeling lucky.

I want at least 200+ grains of lead going as fast as possible. If i had a choice i would bring the .450 marlin. (great camp rifle, probably drop a charging rhino the way it kicks)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't want to shoot a bear with a 9mm even 16 rds, You'd have a very nasty PO'd bear who'd probably die in a few weeks of an infection, after he already pooped you out.

If you're worried about bears take something for bears. Bear spray 12ga slug, a real rifle .30-06 or bigger, a pistol .44mag (might should be .454) or bigger. Don't make the bear mad at you, scare him off, but don't make him mad.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I would ask his parents permission to carry on their property and if they decline I would respectfully decline the invitation
    Yes, be prepared to decline the invitation -- that's my advice.

If he/they say that you may not carry the gun, I would advise against going anyway. Your friend himself warned of at least two types of dangerous (deadly) animals -- giving you the justification for wanting to be able to defend.

If they challenge your wish to bring a gun, all you have to do is point out that he himself mentioned defense against animals, but in your view suggest a painfully inadequate solution -- a knife (against a bear?!). You could gently correct the notion that a knife would be an intelligent choice of self defense weapon against the very threats your friend mentioned.

But don't let their prejudice against guns (if it exists) prevent you from being comfortably well defended. If that means not going, I would not go.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    I would ask if he minds. I would rather be prepared than have to depend on a knife. If I remember Brad Pitts charater in Legend of the Fall dies by fighting a bear in the woods with a knife.
    Wow, the funny thing is, I watched that movie on t.v. only two nights ago, for the first time in years! And it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Back to our "joint expedition": He tells me quite seriously: "Make sure you bring a good knife, there really are bears around here, they've left poo and tracks right outside the house and my dad saw a jaguar" (or Mt Lion or whatever big cat we have, I was kind lost with the "Bring a knife to a bear fight" comment.
    Man, you're misunderstanding the mindset: the knife is so you can commit seppuku if a bear shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    +1

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Man, you're misunderstanding the mindset: the knife is so you can commit seppuku if a bear shows up.
    Sure, disembowel yourself so the bear doesn't have to wipe its claws clean.

If you decide to go and leave your gun, make sure your knife is long enough to tickle the bears bacbone when pushed in from the front. That way as the bear kills you , you at least have the satifaction of causing it some pain.

I would suggest carrying a Lever Action carbine in at least 44 Mag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links