Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail?

This is a discussion on Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quality info. Thanks Shooter...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail?

Quality info. Thanks Shooter

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am reminded of the episode of M*A*S*H when Radar mailed himself home a Jeep, one part at a time... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It was nothing personal Kavity, I'm just a cautious guy when it comes to talking about things like this online. Most of us are. Anything you put here can stay here indefinitely.
    Which is why JD, Rocky and QK Shooter responded so speedily and resolved any doubt you had.

Good question. I'm sure many have thought of it but not asked.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    First of all, it is 100% legal for an non-FFL to send ANY non-serialized firearm part to ANYONE, regardless of FFL status in any state.

The serialized part in a firearm is what the ATF considers the restricted part. This restricted part, usually the receiver of a rifle or the frame of a handgun, CAN be shipped by a non-FFL to a non-FFL IN THE SAME STATE (so long as there is no STATE law against it) or to an FFL in a different state.

The sender of the serialized part need NOT be an FFL to send a long gun's serialized part through the USPS or via common or contract carrier. The sender of a hand gun's serialized part MUST be an FFL to send it via the USPS but NEED NOT be an FFL to send it via common or contract carrier (Fed Ex etc.).

Finding all this out is as easy as reading the firearm FAQs in the BATFE's website.

Let me summarize what I said above.

Complete long gun or long gun receiver

Mailing (USPS) by non-FFL to non-FFL in same state: OK if state law allows. No federal jurisdiction.

Mailing (USPS) by non-FFL to non-FFL in different state: not OK. Non-FFL must ship to FFL, who will transfer to new owner.

Shipping (UPS, etc.) by non-FFL to non-FFL in same state: OK if state law allows and carrier's policy allows. No federal jurisdiction.

Shipping (UPS, etc.) by non-FFL to non-FFL in different state: not OK. Non-FFL must ship to FFL, who will transfer to new owner

Complete handgun or handgun frame

Mailing (USPS) by non-FFL to non-FFL in same state: Not OK. Must be FFL to mail handguns to anyone.

Mailing (USPS) by non-FFL to non-FFL in different state: not OK. Must be FFL to mail handguns to anyone. In addition, interstate transfers must use FFL at receiving end who will transfer to new owner.

Shipping (UPS, etc.) by non-FFL to non-FFL in same state: OK if state law allows and carrier's policy allows. No federal jurisdiction.

Shipping (UPS, etc.) by non-FFL to non-FFL in different state: not OK. Non-FFL must ship to FFL, who will transfer to new owner.

Any firearm part that is not the receiver or frame

Non-FFL may ship or mail to anyone, anywhere.

In addition, it is not the shipper's responsibility to comply with the laws of other states regarding legality of magazines, accessories, ammunition, or firearms. That is the responsibility of the person taking possesion of said item at destination.

Note: AR15 upper receivers are NOT serialized and are not legally considered a firearm. The complete upper receiver can be mailed or shipped as if it were a spring, screw, or other part.

Administrator
    I should add that if you ever have any questions concerning shipping of a firearm you can always make a phone call to your nearest ATF office or any licensed gun dealer in your area will be able to give you accurate information.

Some gun related stuff gets complicated.

Slightly Off Topic:
    For instance if you wanted to have a serial numbered gun frame Nickel Plated you COULD legally drive it to any Electro-Plater that was not licensed FFL and they could legally plate it for you but, they would have to do the job while you waited for it.
    You could not leave it there and then go back & pick it up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I should add that if you ever have any questions concerning shipping of a firearm you can always make a phone call to your nearest ATF office or any licensed gun dealer in your area will be able to give you accurate information.
    Or just read it here.

Note: AR15 upper receivers are NOT serialized and are not legally considered a firearm. The complete upper receiver can be mailed or shipped as if it were a spring, screw, or other part.
    was looking at my sig 556...the only serial on the weapon is on the upper receiver. the lower has nothing. i realize it's not an AR15, but is the same rule supposed to apply to them?

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    was looking at my sig 556...the only serial on the weapon is on the upper receiver. the lower has nothing. i realize it's not an AR15, but is the same rule supposed to apply to them?
    The rule is that whatever has the serial number is the firearm. That applies to any firearm regardless of brand.

thanks for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    The rule is that whatever has the serial number is the firearm. That applies to any firearm regardless of brand.
    So I cannot mail the barrel of my HK since it has it's serial number on it? Or the slide for that matter.

The generalization that you made is not always necessarily correct.

And I do not like to reference the ATF FAQ since it has misleading statements about the necessity of notification to the carrier. You do not have to notify the carrier when shipping to an FFL, to be in accordance with the law.

Administrator
    Clarification: If all major parts on the firearm are serial numbered it would still be the frame or receiver that counts as the complete firearm and not the serial numbered slide or barrel or other miscellaneous matching numbered parts.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    And I do not like to reference the ATF FAQ since it has misleading statements about the necessity of notification to the carrier. You do not have to notify the carrier when shipping to an FFL, to be in accordance with the law.
    I'd be happy to believe you over an official source if you can provide the specific section of the US Code that says ATF is wrong.

Trust, but verify.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    I'd be happy to believe you over an official source if you can provide the specific section of the US Code that says ATF is wrong.

Trust, but verify.

- Ronald Reagan
    They incorrectly paraphrase 18 U.S.C. 922(e), which reads:
    It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped...
    It is clearly stated that you must notify if you are mailing to an un-licensed person (non-FFL). Which is illegal any ways, unless you are shipping to someone in your own state.

They specifically make the exception if you are mailing to an FFL.

Link

I stand corrected and I thank you for pointing that out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links