Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail?

This is a discussion on Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Clarification: If all major parts on the firearm are serial numbered it would still be the frame or receiver that counts ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it illegal to mail gun PARTS in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Clarification: If all major parts on the firearm are serial numbered it would still be the frame or receiver that counts as the complete firearm and not the serial numbered slide or barrel or other miscellaneous matching numbered parts.
    ya still have to watch this a Ruger Mark II the barrel ASSY is the Firearm part .. in a handgun this is a weird one

Grip is just that a grip the reciever or Barrel assy as they call it is the Serial # part

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    They incorrectly paraphrase 18 U.S.C. 922(e), which reads:
    I don't like the ATF FAQ for the very same reason...always best to read the actual laws I guess...because of that one FAQ I'm always questioning anything that I read from them that doesn't contain an actual law reference...but then I'm like that

Administrator
    Good Addition Bud. Thanks for adding it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    You do not have to notify the carrier when shipping to an FFL, to be in accordance with the law.
    You must also be in accordance with the carriers' shipping policy; I'm not aware of any major carrier that does not require a declaration for a complete firearm. At the least you would be driving back to pick up your weapon, at worst, you will spend time (and possibly money) explaining why you chose to try to circumvent their stated requirements for shipping.

Also, Glock and H&K serialize basically every part of the weapons since Germany/Austria consider the barrel to be "the gun", and (IIRC) some African nations require markings on multiple parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    You must also be in accordance with the carriers' shipping policy; I'm not aware of any major carrier that does not require a declaration for a complete firearm.
    I was just pointing put that one can still be in accordance with the law while not being in accordance with a private company's policy.

If the firearm was lost or inadvertently opened the company policy may give you problems. You would have trouble with the insurance claim.

When you ship a "compleat" firearm you must ship it next day. The reason for this is the firearm is in the system the least amount of time. Or so I was told when I got my Glock 30.

If I where to ship a firearm I would send the barrel in a separate package. That way only the person receiving the firearm would have the compleat firearm.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    ya still have to watch this a Ruger Mark II the barrel ASSY is the Firearm part .. in a handgun this is a weird one

Grip is just that a grip the reciever or Barrel assy as they call it is the Serial # part
    Lugers are like this also. The piece that the barrel screws into is actually the receiver, not the grip frame. It's possible to load and fire the top assembly without it being attached to the grip frame.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, be sure what you are sending is legal where you are sending it.

For example, Full capacity mags should not be sent to 10 round mag states.

I sell hi caps to CA all the time. Called CA DOJ. They said the the person buying is breaking the law, not the seller.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    When you ship a "compleat" firearm you must ship it next day. The reason for this is the firearm is in the system the least amount of time. Or so I was told when I got my Glock 30.
    You only must do it if it says so on the carrier's tariff. Some require so for handguns, some not. And none that I know of requires such expedited shipping for long guns.

BTW, there is no law compelling such shipping regulations.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I shipped my Kimber from Pennsylvania to my office in Texas via UPS and I believe it was legal. US Mail can't do it. FedEx has a policy against it but UPS was fine with it.

I was visiting PA and then I had to go to DC where I could not take the gun.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I shipped my Kimber from Pennsylvania to my office in Texas via UPS and I believe it was legal. US Mail can't do it. FedEx has a policy against it but UPS was fine with it.

I was visiting PA and then I had to go to DC where I could not take the gun.
    You were 100% legal.

Now why could you not take your firearm through DC? FOPA applies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links