Florida concealed laws

Florida concealed laws

This is a discussion on Florida concealed laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel alot for my job, I rarely fly 99% of the time, I'm in my service van, along with 50,000 dollars plus in tools, ...

Florida concealed laws

I travel alot for my job, I rarely fly 99% of the time, I'm in my service van, along with 50,000 dollars plus in tools, parts etc..... All of the states I travel to, honor my SC CCW, except Florida and Georgia. I'm ok in Georgia though, because, they honor my NH non-res permit. In Florida I'm required to have my firearm locked up, or the "3 move law" as it was described to me. I looked into getting a Florida non-res, from what I'm finding, it's expensive and takes forever. Does anyone know, if Florida, is looking to change their, reciprocity laws, anytime soon, like SC is, or is there a cheaper, less time consuming, non-res permit I could get that Florida would honor?????? I was surprised to find that my SC permit wasn't valid in Florida, due to the fact they seem to be pro-gun, for law abiding citizens in the state.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Actually, my understanding is that FL will do reciprocity with any state that will honor FL's CWL.

Regardless, your CCW needs to be enclosed in something like a glove box, but it does not need to be locked.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Go here and ask the horse...so you get it from the Horses Mouth:
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html I did ask them and they responded directly to me inside of 48 hours but I can't find the responses right now. So ask them yourself.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ENSANE1970 View Post
    In Florida I'm required to have my firearm locked up, or the "3 move law" as it was described to me. I .
    Please do me a favor, before you do anything else go over whomever told you the "3 move law" and smack him silly: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 3 MOVE LAW!

The Law requires for your gun to be securely encased:

"it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012."

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

And at the risk of repeating myself: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 3 MOVE LAW!
    And allow me to explain: Let's say you have a gun, not encased under the seat of your car and it takes you 3 moves to get it... you are ilegally carrying a concealed weapon. Or you have a gun on the passenger side of the seat covered with a towel and a back pack and you do your 3 movements removing the stuff... guess what? you are ilegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Check with Florida's Division of Licensing and see if you can obtain a non-resident permit. If you are really worried about your tools, the expense of getting a permit to carry and carry legally should be a small price for extra insurance.
    Last edited by Miggy; July 1st, 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: More info
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm a florida resident and wish florida and south carlonia would honer each others permits. I've heard that it is in the works for the last couple of months but have yet to see it happen. I used to travel to do service and carried a lot of cash. I've only had trouble a couple of times over a fourty year span and it was due to the cash that I collected. I wish you luck and hope this will change soon. I heard something about a bill 3212 in south carlonia. this might be the answer to your problem.

Miggy thanks for the actual law as it's written. As for smacking the person, who gave me the info on, the 3 move rule, I'd have to be smacking a Pasco couty officer. Moving 3 things to get to the weapon wasn't what he said, I have to go through "3 operations" to aquire my weapon, simply stated it can't be readily available, I didn't realize the weapon didn't have to be locked up, that makes me feel better. As for getting a non-res permit, the price doesn't bother me, it's the time. I have people working with me, who have applied in Florida for a non-res permit, 6 months and still waiting.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Miggy thanks for the actual law as it's written. As for smacking the person, who gave me the info on, the 3 move rule, I'd have to be smacking a Pasco couty officer. Moving 3 things to get to the weapon wasn't what he said, I have to go through "3 operations" to aquire my weapon, simply stated it can't be readily available, I didn't realize the weapon didn't have to be locked up, that makes me feel better. As for getting a non-res permit, the price doesn't bother me, it's the time. I have people working with me, who have applied in Florida for a non-res permit, 6 months and still waiting.
    OK, don't smack him. It may backfire big time.

You can keep the gun in your center console, glove compartment or zippered pouch (out of view otherwise you'd be breaking the law for displaying a firearm) in a toolbox, etc but inside your vehicle.

As for accelerating the process, I've been told that people using the electronic fingerprinting process have their paperwork processed in about half the time. What you may want to do is next time you come to Florida, to drop by a center that do electronic fingerprinting and mail all the paperwork once it is done. You can pay online or give them a call at 1.877.238.8232. Do call before you go to make sure the scanner is working. The one in Ft Lauderdale died a couple of months ago and a buddy of mine had to go paper on his prints.
    If you don't have the forms already, order them online here. They are free and they send them rather quick.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Mine arrived in 2 months. A friend of mine sent his in about 3 or 4 weeks ago, they cashed his check this week so we expect it soon.

Does anyone know, if Florida, is looking to change their, reciprocity laws, anytime soon, like SC is, or is there a cheaper, less time consuming, non-res permit I could get that Florida would honor?????? I was surprised to find that my SC permit wasn't valid in Florida, due to the fact they seem to be pro-gun, for law abiding citizens in the state.
    First, Florida won't honor a non-resident permit from any State. You MUST be a resident of the State of the permit you carry. Second, Florida is willing to reciprocate with any State that will honor our permit. That is Forida's ONLY requirement to reciprocity. Non-reciprocity with SC is all on that State. SC won't honor our permit because they demand 24hr a day access to our records.
    Tom
    NRA Life Member
    S&W M65 LadySmith 357Magnum
    Ruger SP101 3"bl. 357Magnum

It took about six weeks for my Florida permit to be processed, and I did my prints on paper back in Maryland.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I got my Fla nonresident permit last year, took 60 days, which wasn't bad. Hell, it took my home state of Nevada 90 days. I had both Utah (30 days) and Fla long before I got my NV permit, and I mailed the application the same day that I applied in Clark County NV. I didn't think that their fee was that out of line either.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I've been told that people using the electronic fingerprinting process have their paperwork processed in about half the time. What you may want to do is next time you come to Florida, to drop by a center that do electronic fingerprinting and mail all the paperwork once it is done. You can pay online or give them a call at 1.877.238.8232. Do call before you go to make sure the scanner is working. The one in Ft Lauderdale died a couple of months ago and a buddy of mine had to go paper on his prints.
    +1 on this. Laura did the electronic finger printing and got her concealed back in under a month (3 weeks IIRC). I did the paper submission and it took about 2 and a half months.

EDIT: I should have added that both Laura and I are Florida residents. I don't know if getting a nonresident permit takes any longer. I would imagine that doing the electronic finger printing would reduce the time, probably by a good margin.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by azagthoth View Post
    +1 on this. Laura did the electronic finger printing and got her concealed back in under a month (3 weeks IIRC). I did the paper submission and it took about 2 and a half months.

EDIT: I should have added that both Laura and I are Florida residents. I don't know if getting a nonresident permit takes any longer. I would imagine that doing the electronic finger printing would reduce the time, probably by a good margin.
    Ditto here.

I am a FL resident. Did the electronic fingerprinting. Mailed my application May 17. Permit arrived June 9.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Re

Just an FYI- Florida does not have a non resident CCW. They are all the same. The non resident simply has an out of state address on his/hers. It is a concealed weapons permit so it covers things other than firearms. You must, however, abide by your own state's laws regarding concealed carry.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    SC has a bill pending to allow reciprocity .
    Don't balme us here in Florida. The roadblock is South Carolina.
    I drive to NC all the time and hate having to "undress" when I hit SC.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Links