Any tips if one [i]must[/i] travel to NJ?

This is a discussion on Any tips if one [i]must[/i] travel to NJ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, folks. I've got a few questions for you knowlegeable DC Forum NJ folks. I'm going to have to travel to southern NJ for some ...

Thread: Any tips if one [i]must[/i] travel to NJ?

Howdy, folks. I've got a few questions for you knowlegeable DC Forum NJ folks. I'm going to have to travel to southern NJ for some training. I only have my VA CHP and carry on company property is prohibited. I know hollowpoints are a no-no in PDRNJ, so I guess I have to find some Federal EFMJs or carry ball *eek* ammo. I usually do a lot of research on a state's laws if I have to travel to/through it. I have tried searching NJ's state police site for the statutes on carrying in general and carrying in your hotel room, but their site is as user friendly as a teakettle without a handle.

I certainly don't relish the thought of being de-gunned in this part of NJ (just across the Comm. Barry Bridge from Phila.) and I'm going to be there for a month. Is there any source other than the NJSP site and packing.org where I can find versions of the NJ state code pertaining to possession of deadly weapons/firearms? Is it like NYC where one must be a resident to possess any firearm? Am I better served being hypervigilant and carrying some OC spray or does NJ have laws against OC like how airguns are classified as firearms?

I appreciate any insight you ladies and gentlemen can give me.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Find lodging on the PA side, where your VA CCW is recognized, and don't spend any more time in NJ than you have to for the training. Eat, shop, etc. on the PA side if you'll be that close to the Commodore Barry Bridge.

And don't have a hollow point cartridge that you had forgotten about loose in your console like I did in NJ last weekend. No, I didn't get pulled over or searched, but I will be more careful next time I go there to visit relatives!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My rule of thumb for the entire area is DONT GO THERE . of course i come from the free states and not only gun regs offend me lol.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Make sure your will is up to date before you go - don't plan on going out on the town to party while you are there.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

As somebody who lived in NJ for 26 years, I've never needed a gun while I was there... but then again I've been ass-lucky. I moved to VA a year ago, and it's been a pain in my ass ever since to go back to NJ. Thank poop. I love the place, but they're seriously behind the times when it comes to personal responsibility and self-defense.

I live in pa but very close to NJ. Don't take any chances, don't carry in the state. I personally know PA leo who have been detained when found to be carrying off duty in NJ. Scary situation. It's the law and they do not bend. If you are not a Leo you don't stand a chance.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Trust me when I type that if I could have it any other way, I would not go to Jersey. I was born there and all my family is in Jersey and Staten Island and I still wouldn't go if it wasn't for my new job. If I could stay in Pennsylvania, I would, but my company made the accomodations arrangements for me and are paying for it.

I'm not going to be carrying in NJ, my concern is I am not familiar with the Camden/Gloucester County area and am staying in a hotel/motel for the better part of a month and I think Camden still has one of the highest murder per capita ratings in the U.S. (Richmond isn't far behind). I guess I could give one of those attorneys from the link Ken posted a call tomorrow morning. Thanks for the links, Ken, the first one was the one I found, if you click the link on the NJSP page, it takes you to a totally unrelated page from the NJ State Code (not too user-friendly).

Any tips on how can I get myself into the sheople mentality for a month?
    -Horace

Camden is a war zone, stay out of it as much as possible. It is the worst place to live in the country, period(camden). Good luck, your going to hell for a month, you'll definetly learn what condition yellow is. I lived in North Jersey for 22 years and i still wouldn't go to camden after dark.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Find some way to get out of this trip. Come down with some bad medical condition, even if you have to go out and find it!!

You guys are killing me! lol, there's no way I'm turning down this job. I guess it's not to late to take a ju-jitsu lesson or two this week, right?
    -Horace

This is a good time to look into some body armor, seriously.

On the other note, tons of people work in Camden, the NJ state Aquarium is there, etc. BUT get the heck out of dodge at night and don't get lost, i made that mistake once. There are parts of camden the police don't even go to.
    Last edited by GotSig?; July 3rd, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

N.J.S. 2C:39-6

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

The first paragraph says it all

ATF NJ law info
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Links