Malfunction

This is a discussion on Malfunction within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we often discuss the topic of a malfunciton durring a self defence situation. I was thinking about this today and what i would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malfunction

Malfunction

I know we often discuss the topic of a malfunciton durring a self defence situation. I was thinking about this today and what i would do if I end up with a malfunciton in an close up encounter. Say If I was holding someone off with one hand and trying to shoot with the other.

The thought crossed my mind that If I was unable to clear because of the struggle I would consider dropping the mag and throwing the weapon as far as I could to get it out of play. Obviously it would be a last ditch effort. But as I'm not physically able to fight effectively and unable to clear the malfunction with one hand I would want to take the weapon out of play. (im one of the wheelchair kiddies around here). I'm pretty good at grappling once on the ground. (upper body strenght FTW)

I know it's very situation dependant. So, would you try to Tap,Rack,Bang while taking a beating? or would you try to devote all physical resources on hand to the fight?

If nothing else food for thought.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

2. Remove Ads

Hit the BG hard in the face with gun, repeat until able to clear gun.

It would take a lot to make me throw my gun, even jammed it is a weapon that you can hit him with.

Club with the gun, and start stabbing with a knife.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My best friend rides a chair , and tho he may have an auto he likes to shoot tucked in there somewhere , there is a 70s era nickel dick special tucked away also . Ill tell ya this tho , if he can put hands on anyone , they wont win a fight with him . he is pure bad news up close and personal . With him in mind i would say you have a great idea , if it malfs get it out of play and go to your advantage . which is when some " young buck " chooses to remove you from that chair , you own him when you can reach him lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lightbulb Pistol whipping

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post

I know it's very situation dependant. So, would you try to Tap,Rack,Bang while taking a beating? or would you try to devote all physical resources on hand to the fight?
    This might be the time to introduce a good old fashioned "pistol whipping"...........

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

It would take a lot to make me throw my gun, even jammed it is a weapon that you can hit him with.
    Very Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    My best friend rides a chair , and tho he may have an auto he likes to shoot tucked in there somewhere , there is a 70s era nickel dick special tucked away also . Ill tell ya this tho , if he can put hands on anyone , they wont win a fight with him . he is pure bad news up close and personal . With him in mind i would say you have a great idea , if it malfs get it out of play and go to your advantage . which is when some " young buck " chooses to remove you from that chair , you own him when you can reach him lol .

Combining both points, I may adjust and drop the mag so if it does get taken away, there aren't any more bullets for him, and proceed to apply low velocity steel poisoning instead of the high velocity lead type.

And I now realise that this should probably be in the Tactics branch instead of the concealed branch...

Move if necessary/If you want to
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    Like everyone else I would use my weapon as a hammer. If you can not reach his head how about the butt of your weapon to the crotch.

VIP Member
    BUG!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Someone once told me, "Two is one. One is none." I don't understand what it means, but it sounds applicable here.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I wholeheartedly agree - pistol whip that SOB. Your front sight is probably strong and sharp enough to remove serious amounts of skin from an attackers face. If he can't see you, he can't attack you.

VIP Member
    Can't say as I had thought of that before. I don't think I would throw it as the front sight or the butt hits harder and hurts me less than my fist.
    I'm not sure about dropping the mag, though. If I hit him hard enough to stagger back, that might give me time to try to clear it. Caution would be paramount when hitting your opponent with a gun that might be loaded. Banging it around might clear the jam (especially if it was FTF) and you don't want it to function while it's being swung about pointing who knows where.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

A malfunctioning weapon can be used very effectively as a whoopin stick. It also can be used effectively to choke him out of his erroneous ways. Brass knuckles are pretty, but cold blue steel is more effective!
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Banging it around might clear the jam (especially if it was FTF) and you don't want it to function while it's being swung about pointing who knows where.
    Ha, just hold it as normal and ram the muzzle into his eyes and teeth while repeatedly pulling the trigger, that way if the jam clears he will provide a backstop...

Administrator
    You folks have it covered.
    There is a short demonstration web Video showing that exact action.
    Muzzle slam to the face.
    I'll be dogged if I can remember where I saw it right now though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

That's right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links