visiting relatives in a no-carry state

This is a discussion on visiting relatives in a no-carry state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading another thread and wanted to pose a question, but didn't want to rob the thread. Alot of people on here say if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visiting relatives in a no-carry state

VIP Member

I was reading another thread and wanted to pose a question, but didn't want to rob the thread.
    Alot of people on here say if they cant be trusted to carry in someones home, they won't visit them. I have 3 siblings that live right across the river in Illinois. The rest of the family lives here in Ky. We have alot of family get togethers at their homes in Illinois. We're all meeting at my sisters house for the 4th of July over there.
    It's not by their choice I don't carry in their homes, they all like guns and would be fine with it.( my bro n law is a gun nut ) But still, I can't carry, so I'm "vulnerable". I hate crossing that bridge.
    Just wondering how many would go as far as to not visit the family because they live in a no carry state.

Family is more important...carry other defensive methods

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The most important thing you bring with you is your situational awareness. Even if you feel naked without your gun (which I do as well), if you refuse to visit family that is only a few minutes from home, you'll be ostracized and labeled the family kook. Keep your head on a swivel, and bring a knife or OC if it makes you more comfortable. Try to keep in mind, you managed to survive for X amount of years before you learned about CC - you'll make it. That's what I have to do when I go to MA to visit family.

Don't let that keep you from doing things with family.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spionen View Post
    Don't let that keep you from doing things with family.
    I would'nt let it stop me from visiting relatives. Its not even an option for me. I bow hunt with my brothers in Illinois every year. I'm just curious, if someone is willing to not go to someones home because they won't allow them to carry, would they also not visit family in a no-carry state? The end result is the same , you aren't carrying in someones home. So does it then become just based on principal?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    Family is more important...carry other defensive methods

I'm not so sure. In Ill-anoy they'd probably hang you by your boot straps for having a baseball bat..

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I would'nt let it stop me from visiting relatives. Its not even an option for me. I bow hunt with my brothers in Illinois every year. I'm just curious, if someone is willing to not go to someones home because they won't allow them to carry, would they also not visit family in a no-carry state? The end result is the same , you aren't carrying in someones home. So does it then become just based on principal?
    I won't travel anywhere without exercising every precaution available. If that means that I cannot carry a firearm, then I will not carry a firearm. I will, however, do everything I can within the law to protect myself and my family. I will not let asinine laws against self defense prevent me from enjoying my life as I see fit, and that includes visiting family and touring this country.

You can carry while on his private property, and on others private property IE when hunting. While in the vehicle stow it properly. Although they have tried to make possession illegal in the land of stinkin, you can take your weapon with you into the state. While not perfect, it is better than going completely nekked (weapons wise).
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

JD
    Administrator
    State Laws are a lot different that someone having a stick up...well you know.

Lima and I frequent Wi. where we can't carry, while it pains me to so do (going unarmed) The hollidays and other ocasions are for family and I can deal with it for a few days.

VIP Member
    They live in Wis and we have to go through Ill to get there. I take the gun and abide by their laws.

I'm not so sure. In Ill-anoy they'd probably hang you by your boot straps for having a baseball bat..
    You have to use a little common sense... If bringing baseball bat, be sure to bring a baseball and a ball glove too.

After all, you are going to a family 4th of July party, nothing illegal about playing back yard baseball... at least not yet!

If you're going to carry a piece of threaded galvanized pipe for a weapon, be sure to have a tool bag with plumbers wrench, some pipe dope and other obvious supplies or tools of the trade.

*sarcasm on* And if you do bring a gun, make sure it's a "Tommy Gun" and just be sure to have your notorized official "John Dillinger" fan club membership card with you and I'm pretty sure they won't give you a second look then. *sarcasm off*

See it's all about having a reason for carrying what you are carrying!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

:| I wish there were federal laws regarding CCW.

Senior Moderator
    A sock and a potato are not illegal in any state.. so far.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Case it and lock it up until you get to your sisters and then put it on while on her property. For no other reason just to make your brother in-law jealous. I do everything I can to make my brother in law jealous in Bloomington Normal.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

... I'm just curious, if someone is willing to not go to someones home because they won't allow them to carry, would they also not visit family in a no-carry state? The end result is the same , you aren't carrying in someones home. So does it then become just based on principal?
    Yes the principal is important. I wouldn't go to a "no carry" state no matter who was there.

I would have my family/friends visit me. And if they couldn't understand my reasoning, I simply woundn't see them anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links